• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML blockade - impact on EMR services? (29/03 - 01/04)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Other options next year will be from Milton Keynes via Oxford to Paddington and via Bicester Village to Marylebone.
Journey time will likely be longer, as no TOC will divert. Will be 30 odd minutes from MK to Bicester, then a change and another 60-70 minutes to Marylebone. 45-50 to Oxford and the hour from there to Paddington. Anyone from the Midlands will just use Chilterns anyway, Scotland via the ECML.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Journey time will likely be longer, as no TOC will divert. Will be 30 odd minutes from MK to Bicester, then a change and another 60-70 minutes to Marylebone. 45-50 to Oxford and the hour from there to Paddington. Anyone from the Midlands will just use Chilterns anyway, Scotland via the ECML.

Indeed a concern about the once proposed option of extending Aylesbury Vale Parkway services back to MKC was that if there was ever a problem on the WCML nobody would be able to board them from the normal stations. This also used to be so of the 0711 fast Bletchley-Euston - if one of the Avantis around 0700 was severely delayed or cancelled, you'd not be able to board at Bletchley or Leighton.

Established Member
How busy are the remaining Avanti services expected to be? In particular the Scottish ones going via Manchester.

Ibex

Enough that WMT do use it (or have used it in the past) for their RRBs. It's not a speculative idea, it's what happens.

I don't know if it's actually happened but there was talk a year or so ago that WMTs Stanmore operation was stopping as TfL were selling the car park land off for development.

Established Member
Last Easter the same blockade was on, and "pleasantly unbusy" was a reasonable description.
That sounds good then. Might have a trip on one for the novelty of going through Manchester non stop (not that it probably will).

GW43125

Established Member
Looks like trying to get out of St Pancras on Friday morning was a mistake then-am I likely to get away with it before 9am or shall I pack my boxing gloves and a hard hat?

KnobbyGB

For people with knowledge of previous Euston blockades: are there likely to be any overruns or knock-on effects the next morning?

I'm flying into London Monday afternoon (1st April) and I was going to take an evening train up the WCML to Carlisle. Rather than mess about with LNER/EMR which are sure to be very busy, I've booked a room right next to Euston and I'll TRY to take the first Avanti (05:31!!) north. I'll be jetlagged so I'll be awake anyway, so why not? Failing that the 07:30 would be a must.
What about the closures/diversions between Warrington and Carlisle? Is it reasonable to expect everything to be back to normal so early Tuesday 2nd April?

Veteran Member
What about the closures/diversions between Warrington and Carlisle? Is it reasonable to expect everything to be back to normal so early Tuesday 2nd April?
Yes, it is reasonable, but (as anywhere) not 100% guaranteed.

Trainman40083

For people with knowledge of previous Euston blockades: are there likely to be any overruns or knock-on effects the next morning?

I'm flying into London Monday afternoon (1st April) and I was going to take an evening train up the WCML to Carlisle. Rather than mess about with LNER/EMR which are sure to be very busy, I've booked a room right next to Euston and I'll TRY to take the first Avanti (05:31!!) north. I'll be jetlagged so I'll be awake anyway, so why not? Failing that the 07:30 would be a must.
As with all such possessions, things can go wrong. Even more so when the teams are up against the clock

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
A Non Stop Coach from Milton Keynes Central to Stanmore shouldn't take ages. National Express timetable their services from Milton Keynes Coachway to Victoria Coach Station in an average of 2 hours you can knock 30 mins off that for Golders Green. I reckon Stanmore which is just off Junction 4 of the M1 shouldnt be much over an hour from Milton Keynes Central. I find myself increasingly using long distance coach services for the Intercity haul of long journeys as a result of industrial action and being priced off rail. One of the big surprises is just how reliable the coach timetabling is compared to rail. In the past year Ive had 2 journeys that have missed the scheduled arrival by about 20 minutes the majority of journeys arrive a few minutes early.

I have - recently - taken an hour to drive by car from M1 J9 to Stanmore, not in rush hour, and no accidents.

plugwash

Established Member
I find it dissapointing that they don't seem to have arranged ticket acceptance on the ECML for passengers from Manchester, I'm sure they did in the past.

Established Member
Last time the ECML was shut from Kings Cross, we had horrendous overcrowding issues on EMR services, as well as St. Pancras suffering from long queues and severe overcrowding. Is this something which could be repeated again?

Yes indeed. You can expect all of the above, and quite possibly worse, as I believe Easter is the busiest weekend of the year in terms of rail travel.

baz962

Established Member
You should definitely work this weekend
Yes indeed. You can expect all of the above, and quite possibly worse, as I believe Easter is the busiest weekend of the year in terms of rail travel.

paul1609

Established Member
I have - recently - taken an hour to drive by car from M1 J9 to Stanmore, not in rush hour, and no accidents.
I'm sure it does happen but it's either not typical or I'm very lucky. National Express, Megabus and Flixbus don't seem to include that sort of delay in their schedules either. When I'm driving the M1 south of the M6 is not really a road that living down the M20 I often use to head north tbh.

Trainman40083

Trouble is, when you replace commuting to work 5 days a week, with leisure travellers, when is the best time for major engineering work? Used to be fun such major possessions when I was at work, ensuring all the materials were delivered.

Mugby

Established Member
Two Premiership football matches on Saturday could swell the numbers on EMR quite a bit:

Crystal Palace are travelling up to Nottingham Forest and Fulham are travelling up to Sheffield United.

baz962

Established Member
Two Premiership football matches on Saturday could swell the numbers on EMR quite a bit:

Crystal Palace are travelling up to Nottingham Forest and Fulham are travelling up to Sheffield United.
I have suddenly become quite happy I'm doing a couple of Corby trains and not driving any inter city that day :D

LTJ87

Just arrived at the EMR platforms at St Pancras for the 10.35 train to Nottingham.

There are lanes separated by tensa barriers for different services as previously but at present the queues are relatively short and don’t go further back than Pret.

There is also a separate area behind metal barriers adjacent to the Eurostar lines for passengers with seat reservations.

So if you have a seat reservation this weekend turn right when you reach the top of the escalator to the platform and go to the far right lane.

IMG_5793.jpeg

Last edited:

Established Member
Trouble is, when you replace commuting to work 5 days a week, with leisure travellers, when is the best time for major engineering work? Used to be fun such major possessions when I was at work, ensuring all the materials were delivered.

Absolutely. There is no good time, it’s a question of choosing the least worst option.

I have suddenly become quite happy I'm doing a couple of Corby trains and not driving any inter city that day :D

Things must be really bad on the IC side for anyone to be pleased about driving a 360 to Corby and back!

Just arrived at the EMR platforms at St Pancras for the 10.35 train to Nottingham.

There are lanes separated by tensa barriers for different services as previously but at present the queues are relatively short at the moment and don’t go further back than Pret.

There is also a separate area behind metal barriers adjacent to the Eurostar lines for passengers with seat reservations.

So if you have a seat reservation this weekend turn right when you reach the top of the escalator to the platform and go to the far right lane.

View attachment 155349

Looks fairly sensibly laid out given the constraints of the space, as it usually is to be fair. It’ll be interesting to see what difference the new approach to reservations makes.

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Absolutely. There is no good time, it’s a question of choosing the least worst option.

Things must be really bad on the IC side for anyone to be pleased about driving a 360 to Corby and back!

Looks fairly sensibly laid out given the constraints of the space, as it usually is to be fair. It’ll be interesting to see what difference the new approach to reservations makes.
Someone posted up thread that two London teams are playing at Nottingham and Sheffield and with the wcml block on too. Bedford was looking busy when I got there with people but the car park was quite empty. So that means a lot of wcml passengers coming over and not many locals. I'm happy doing Corby for once. Quite a short job too .

Established Member
Someone posted up thread that two London teams are playing at Nottingham and Sheffield and with the wcml block on too. Bedford was looking busy when I got there with people but the car park was quite empty. So that means a lot of wcml passengers coming over and not many locals. I'm happy doing Corby for once. Quite a short job too .

The Marston Vale dogboxes must be busy!

Established Member
I find it dissapointing that they don't seem to have arranged ticket acceptance on the ECML for passengers from Manchester, I'm sure they did in the past.
LNER are already reporting services as full and standing.

Trainman40083

I thought the presumption was WCML passengers would use Bedford services. Wonder if they intend to use Derby/Sheffield services?