• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML closed at Milton Keynes Central 21/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

oversteer

Due to a person under a train it looks like all northbound trains from Euston are cancelled apart from LM/LO stopping services as far as MKC and passengers are being sent to Marylebone/StP/KX as appropriate..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Antman

Established Member
All four lines closed according to radio reports, sadly it sounds like another suicide

dk1

Veteran Member
Some lines re-opened fairly quickly but obviously it's going to be slow going.

tsr

Established Member
Looks like 1G04 0703 London Euston - Birmingham NS hit a person at approximately 0732 on the Fast Lines to the North of Milton Keynes Central. The Fasts and Platforms 4, 5 & 6 are still closed, with 1G04 stopped just after Milton Keynes North Junction.

I would expect this to be a fatality, but I have not yet had this confirmed.

Kristofferson

Lucky I wasn't going into work today, would have been sat on 2Y59 at Bletchley for an hour then turfed off at Northampton. Still, would have got some nice rail vouchers from LM's Delay Repay scheme :lol:

MK Tom

Established Member
Lucky I wasn't going into work today, would have been sat on 2Y59 at Bletchley for an hour then turfed off at Northampton. Still, would have got some nice rail vouchers from LM's Delay Repay scheme :lol:

Perhaps not the most sensitive thing to think under the circumstances.

Person walked off the end of platform 6 infront of 1G04.

MKC isn't doing too well fatality wise at the moment. Walked off the end of the platform though? As in up the line?

good job I went to MK on the bus today then

On the 70/150? Doesn't that cost more?

Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
On the 70/150? Doesn't that cost more?

150, £5.50 return as opposed to £10.10 Anytime return on the train (my season has expired and I'll get a new one next week or the week after). Granted I'd have got some compo from LM but they don't reimburse lost wages

MK Tom

Established Member
Did you know the deceased? I fail to see why a light hearted comment on an internet forum is considered insensitive unless you knew the person involved

No, and I didn't hugely criticise the person posting, I just said it seemed a little insensitive. This is a public forum, but I'd be a little uncomfortable if someone said something like that in private. I suppose it's just my sensibilities.

150, £5.50 return as opposed to £10.10 Anytime return on the train (my season has expired and I'll get a new one next week or the week after). Granted I'd have got some compo from LM but they don't reimburse lost wages

Ah right I wasn't thinking anytime. The off-peak with a railcard is £3.something last time I did it.

Aldaniti

Did you know the deceased? I fail to see why a light hearted comment on an internet forum is considered insensitive unless you knew the person involved

Aye, there's no such thing as society.... Still, a few vouchers keep some people happy.

Rugd1022

Indeed - had a potential suicide last night at Kettering, a young lad perched on the bridge south of the station, poor kid. Thankfully the Police were on hand to deal with the situation. Was cautioned past on the Up Fast but don't as yet know what the outcome was.

Thoughts to all concerned at MK.

bILLOO

Thoughts for the family and staff involved.

But yes, poor MKC... how many this year? I've been on an LM train that hit somebody at MKC. Not nice.

driver_m

Established Member

You might not find it insensitive, but I do, not only is that one of my colleagues who has to live with what's happened today, but a family who have had everything changed irrevocably. But hey ho, it's a forum and normal sensitivities apparently don't count.

TOCDriver

I have had 2 suicides in the past, as previously mentioned, and there wasn't a thing I could have done about it. Psychologically, you have to accept that and get on with it. Sadly, it's a risk of the job these days.

Welshman

Established Member
You might not find it insensitive, but I do, not only is that one of my colleagues who has to live with what's happened today, but a family who have had everything changed irrevocably. But hey ho, it's a forum and normal sensitivities apparently don't count.

Remember what John Donne says:-

"No man is an island....and any man's death diminishes me"

MCW

This year has been bloody horrid for suicides on the lines...

RIP again to the poor troubled person and I hope the Driver gets all the support he/she requires to help them through the trauma.

Isn't this like the third one at MK this year?

the sniper

Established Member
Sadly, it's a risk of the job these days.

To be fair, it's almost always been a risk of the job. At least there are systems in place to support drivers nowadays.

I heard a little while back the BTP's Wales & Western area was on course for a record high year of suicides. I don't know if that's still the case but it gives an indication of how many we're talking about. Milton Keynes is covered by London North, not W&W though.

Antman

Established Member
There are reports of the emegency services attending an incident at Cuffley, hopefully not another suicide

Last edited by a moderator:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Is it my imagination, or are there more suicides now than in the past or is it that these incidents are publicised a lot more?

It is another tragic loss of life, someone who probably had problems they just couldn't continue to face, so they decide to finish their life.

My condolences go the deceased persons family.

I hope the Virgin Trains driver is able to return to duty and continue in the job they enjoy.

According to the Manchester Evening News there was a fatality at Greenfield, between Manchester and Huddersfield, when someone was hit by a train last night.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is it my imagination, or are there more suicides now than in the past or is it that these incidents are publicised a lot more?

Last time I tried to find statistics, they suggested that the rate is pretty steady- it is publicity/perception.

(also interesting from what I remember is that despite claims that post-christmas credit cards/winter weather blues are a trigger for suicide, there's a downtick in January/February)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Last time I tried to find statistics, they suggested that the rate is pretty steady- it is publicity/perception.

According to BTP figures there were 256 fatalities on the network in 2011 and 287 in 2012. Anyone know what the number is for 2013 so far?

eMeS

Is it my imagination, or are there more suicides now than in the past ...?

No idea about the number in total, but over-the-counter painkillers are now sold in blister packs, and in smaller quantities than some decades ago when one could buy screw capped bottles containing a lethal quantity.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
No idea about the number in total, but over-the-counter painkillers are now sold in blister packs, and in smaller quantities than some decades ago when one could buy screw capped bottles containing a lethal quantity.

and ofcouse suicidal people could never manage to pop multiple pills from a blister pack :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.