• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCML disruption Preston to Lancaster 27/11/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There is a limited supply of road vehicles as well. There is a big stink about disability compliant road vehicles too coming along very shortly I hear. It may well be easier to have the route knowledge than to try and hire a limited (non-existent) supply of road vehicles.

To be honest, we expect a lot from rail companies to get us to destinations no matter what the problem.

I have written elsewhere about National Express dumping me 10 miles short of my intended destination this coming Wednesday because of roadworks without any suggestion about onward transport or using a different vehicle. The railway can't (currently) get away with that.

As written elsewhere, truly disability compliant coaches have not caught on as having a high floor is one of the features which distinguishes a coach from a bus. Hiring service buses rather than coaches at short notice is obviously difficult.

Maybe the outcome of all this will be the far easier to implement notice not to travel advice rather than have train companies do their best to get people past an obstruction.

Being able to divert trains doesn't just need route knowledge - it needs suitable traction, crew hours and paths. 'DIY' diversions may be appropriate in some cases.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As the disruption was 3 days ago now I have locked this thread. If anyone wishes to discuss anything else, please create a new thread.

If anyone wishes to post about service disruption, please read this first: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/service-disruption-threads.160272/ thanks

If anyone wishes to post any ideas/suggestions, just a gentle reminder that these must be posted in the correct forum section (ie. Speculative Ideas) please. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.