• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Disruption caused by storm Ciara (February 9th, 10th and 11th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raul_Duke

Which unfortunately means these days they miss out the actual pressure of anti/cyclones on their TV maps.

It’s easy enough to get that information nowadays if your desperate for that level of detail though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

6Gman

Established Member
But that's just it, a weather forecast isn't an authority stating what will definitely happen just one predicting what might possibly happen, which is no more accurate than a horoscope. By all means cancel the trains if a tree blows onto the line but cancelling trains on the off chance that a tree might blow onto the line is ridiculous. One would hope that the TOCs cancelling trains needlessly tomorrow will face hefty compensation claims from passengers needlessly disrupted.

With all due respect, I think you have just lost any reason to be taken seriously on such matters.

The Met Office forecasts, in my experience, tend to be extremely accurate over a 48 hour period and pretty good beyond that.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I can tell this is not just a forecast, the effects are being felt tonight. When I was on a train up the WCML tonight it was dry until Oxenholme then the rains and wind started. In Scotland now it’s relatively bad, so it might just be a taster of how bad tomorrow may be

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A polite request that once the damage becomes clear would members please start new thread for specific TOCs/incidents. We don't really want people to try and cram everything into this thread.

For instance if the wires come down the WCML, Clapham Junction is shut due to trampolines and services in West Yorkshire are disrupted due to trees on the line in multiple locations then trying to cover all three of those incidents in one thread will be extraordinarily confusing and hard to follow.

So please do start new threads as appropriate!

theironroad

Established Member
But that's just it, a weather forecast isn't an authority stating what will definitely happen just one predicting what might possibly happen, which is no more accurate than a horoscope. By all means cancel the trains if a tree blows onto the line but cancelling trains on the off chance that a tree might blow onto the line is ridiculous. One would hope that the TOCs cancelling trains needlessly tomorrow will face hefty compensation claims from passengers needlessly disrupted.

Either a troll or clearly no idea about the impact of speed restrictions and trains hitting falling trees or the plethora of other debris that ends up on the track.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Where did you see this please? Need to get from Bolton area to Newcastle tomorrow and holds advance tickets from Preston to Carlisle then Carlisle to Newcastle
Announced at Metrocentre and on the scrolling displays at Haltwhistle

route101

Established Member
I can tell this is not just a forecast, the effects are being felt tonight. When I was on a train up the WCML tonight it was dry until Oxenholme then the rains and wind started. In Scotland now it’s relatively bad, so it might just be a taster of how bad tomorrow may be

Services seemed to hold up tonight .

Busaholic

Veteran Member
With all due respect, I think you have just lost any reason to be taken seriously on such matters.

The Met Office forecasts, in my experience, tend to be extremely accurate over a 48 hour period and pretty good beyond that.
Is Captain Haddock a pseudonym for Michael 'there won't be a hurricane' Fish? :lol:

theironroad

Established Member

Watching the rugby on TV earlier from Murrayfield (Edinburgh) it was clear that the rain and winds had arrived....

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
TFW have cancelled services on all the lines going up the Valleys either throughout or north of Pontypridd and with no rail replacement services. However, there is one exception, buses are running throughout between Cardiff and Rhymney due to pre-planned Engineering work so arrangements have been left to stand.

XC are now running a couple of services between Edinburgh/Newcastle and York. Clearly they’ve noticed that with LNER not accepting XC tickets, it’s caused a few headaches...

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This situation is also very crappy for Grand Central passengers, as they have no ticket acceptance whatsoever

Scott M

How’s it going so far then, any trees on lines?

Noticed XC saying they aren’t doing delay repay for cancelled trains on Sunday.

Scott M

XC are now running a couple of services between Edinburgh/Newcastle and York. Clearly they’ve noticed that with LNER not accepting XC tickets, it’s caused a few headaches...
Which trains are running? As I need to travel on that line tomorrow.

Can’t see anything on their twitter.
i booked a £20 coach ticket to get from Newcastle to Leeds to catch a Leeds - Brum service, be annoying if they are now running a NCL - Birmingham service.:s

Last edited:

class 9

Very sensible, but I assume those with Sunday (off-peak) tickets won't be able to use them on Monday's peak? Hope they do because if some decide to stay put overnight and heed the warnings will still need to get to work on Monday.
On my company they’ll be valid after 0930 on Monday.

class 9

XC aren’t running York-EDB, TPE & LNER are abeit reduced service.

Established Member
Which trains are running? As I need to travel on that line tomorrow.

Can’t see anything on their twitter.
i booked a £20 coach ticket to get from Newcastle to Leeds to catch a Leeds - Brum service, be annoying if they are now running a NCL - Birmingham service.:s

Looking at realtimetrains there a 1008 EDB-YRK XC arriving at 1238, which is interesting as the 1000 EDB-KGX takes 2 hours longer to get there! So something definitely isn’t right there

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looking at realtimetrains there a 1008 EDB-YRK XC arriving at 1238, which is interesting as the 1000 EDB-KGX takes 2 hours longer to get there! So something definitely isn’t right there
It's most likely not been deleted from the data yet I'd say.

class 9

It's most likely not been deleted from the data yet I'd say.
If you look at the services listed with ‘VST’ next to them, they’ll be ones that are planned to run.
On the NE-SW corridor in the north, they are planning to run Birmingham to York and/or Leeds.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How’s it going so far then, any trees on lines?

Noticed XC saying they aren’t doing delay repay for cancelled trains on Sunday.
Delay Repay does still apply; what matters is the delay measured against the contracted arrival time.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you look at the services listed with ‘VST’ next to them, they’ll be ones that are planned to run.
Yes just had a look myself and spotted that it had a VST flag. Still suspect somethings amiss though as I'm not sure how they're proposing for the XC to overtake the LNER between Berwick and Alnmouth!

class 9

Yes just had a look myself and spotted that it had a VST flag. Still suspect somethings amiss though as I'm not sure how they're proposing for the XC to overtake the LNER between Berwick and Alnmouth!
XC aren’t running north of York.

XC aren’t running York-EDB, TPE & LNER are abeit reduced service.

Incorrect. They are now running a couple of services Edinburgh/Newcastle to York and vice versa.

10:08 Edinburgh-York
14:08 Edinburgh-York
13:45 Newcastle-Edinburgh
15:45 York-Edinburgh
19:45 York-Newcastle

All 5 services will be double voyagers.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Apologies but I've not rrad all 5 pages.

If some TOCs advised passengers not to travel and others don't offer this advice, does that mean they expect the weather to be worse overall for those TOCs advising people not to travel?

For example Southern, Thameslink, Greater Northern, Gatwick Express, Southeastern, Grand Central, London North Eastern Railway, amongst other are advicing customers not to travel, according to National Rail Enquiries but South Western Railway and Greater Anglia, to name but two are not advising this.

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's a lovely sunny day here in the south east with barely a breath of wind, perhaps understandably some people are having difficulty comprehending how the weather is going to be so bad tomorrow that trains won't be able to operate. There are football matches scheduled for tomorrow which at the moment are still going ahead. Obviously we don't cope well with extreme weather in this country as we very rarely have any.

And now it's 0225, the wind is picking up quite considerably already in Hertfordshire. Very gusty at times.

I have a feeling we're going to have some powerful bursts of wind that will likely cause various issues later today. Not just on the railway either. Roads blocked, structural damage and loads of fence panels down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.