• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Services between York and Blackpool North will run as normal

I was very annoyed with NRES yesterday, because my "normally running" service York to Blackpool North was 58 mins late, alongside the train before.

Apparently there was a signalling problem in the Bradford Interchange area, which NRES didn't pick up on.

LE Greys

Established Member
NR Twitter report that engineers are assessing a flood in the Peascliffe Tunnel. All rail passengers should avoid this route if at all possible (difficult though that may seem), as there are very severe delays.

Totally gone as of last night. I've located the Berwick bank-slip, we crawled past it at what seemed to be 20mph on the up main. Plenty of flooded fields, but no other problems.

Schnellzug

Established Member
But exciting news! According to the local Paper, "The multi-agency resilience forum will continue to monitor the situation overnight."
Did you know there was a multi-agency resilience forum?! 8-)

ushawk

Established Member
Heres pics of the flooding on the WoE line, which is currently suspended between Tisbury and Exeter via Yeovil.

Gillingham1.JPG

Gillingham2.JPG

BestWestern

Established Member
Well, I hear that the line between Dorchester West & Yeovil was closed due to Flooding at Yetminster ytesterday, then. :roll:

Indeed it was. Reports were that divers (!) were required to inspect a bridge in the Yetminster area, which gives some indication of the severity of things.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Anyone know why it was reported that Nottingham-Skegness trains were not stopping at Grantham yesterday..... when they were stopping because I got one. Or were they only withdrawn from Grantham in one direction? (Which would make little sense to me)

Failed Unit

Established Member
There was some flooding in the tunnel, it may have cleared by the time you went through. The EMT Liverpool service was also diverted for a period.

Schnellzug

Established Member
It looks as if FGW might have a bit of a shortage of stock tomorrow, as a fair proportion of the fleet (150106, 150126, 150921 and 153368 at least) are stuck at Weymouth. If they were needed in a hurry, could they be sent ECS via Southampton?

ushawk

Established Member
It looks as if FGW might have a bit of a shortage of stock tomorrow, as a fair proportion of the fleet (150106, 150126, 150921 and 153368 at least) are stuck at Weymouth. If they were needed in a hurry, could they be sent ECS via Southampton?

Would have to be piloted by SWT drivers of course, although would depend on when the line would be reopened. Would have thought 1 unit would remain at Weymouth though to await the reopening, whenever that may be.

embers25

Established Member
I seem to remember 158's were rescued that way from Weymouth once but had to pass through each station at 5mph due to clearance issues. Not sure what the situation would be with 150/153's but if the 5mph rule applies finding paths could be tough during the day. Does anyone know when the line is likely to reopen? I see Axminster is Wednesday. SWT have got an emergency service running but the bus journey times showing are impossible to even some of the train ones to Honiton are stupid such as Honiton 0811, Febiton 0813, Whimple 0816!!! The train can do a round trip every hour to Exeter Central but not that quick!!!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I was very annoyed with NRES yesterday, because my "normally running" service York to Blackpool North was 58 mins late, alongside the train before.

Apparently there was a signalling problem in the Bradford Interchange area, which NRES didn't pick up on.

58 minutes late? in the circumstances that is normal so if you include context they were right :) considering most lines around were completely cancelled with no bus replacement id say you had little to moan about.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I do, If you consider I was only travelling from Blackburn to Preston (luckily the Colne to Blackpool was on time.. and a 150 vice 142! :D) , and could've made alternative arrangements had NRES warned me of a signalling problem (which was a seperate issue to the recent flooding).

philjo

Established Member
More met office weather warnings issued for heavy rain southern/eastern England each day for rest of this week ESP thurs and Friday with strong winds.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Well, I hear that the line between Dorchester West & Yeovil was closed due to Flooding at Yetminster ytesterday, then. :roll:
I heard a story regarding the Yetminster flooding from the guard on the 0922 Bristol TM - Southampton service on Monday morning (09th July).

She told me that, from what she understood, when the village of Yetminster flooded the necessary equipment was rapidly summoned to pump the village out. The decision was taken to pump all the water onto the nearest available field and this was duly done. However the water that got pumped out ended up in a field right next to the line: the railway flooded when the water in question drained out of the field and onto the track! :roll:

Although I find that story rather amusing. I do, however, sympathise with all "Yetminsterites" - if that is the right expression :p - who have been affected by the flooding.

I checked on my phone at around 10am and JourneyCheck said that the Yeovil PM - Dorchester West route was back open.

Dave

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Actually, the Calder runs up the valley from Todmorden to Copy Pit, which divides the Yorkshire Calder from - the Lancashire Calder, which runs down through Burnley to join the Ribble.
The Walsden route up to Summit Tunnel is the minor river (haven't got a good enough map to find the name).

I've always been confused when people talk of the Calder Valley, whether they mean the Yorks or Lancs river, or possibly both!

Sorry to bring this up again, but there's a case of "Matters Arising" -

A book I'm currently reading on transport in this area names this stretch from Todmorden to the Summit Tunnel as Walsden Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.