• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weather related disruption - Christmas 2013 and New Year 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Landslip at Crewkerne, I believe that was the last remaining route for services to Devon & Cornwall. No services west of Yeovil Junction currently.

Devon and Cornwall now entirely cut off from the rest of the UK by rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Swindon-Kemble redoubling has been put back by four months as resources have had to be diverted to repairing the coastal lines. New target completion is August rather than Easter.

Someone is going to have fun then if the May timetable has assumed the re-double is in....

D1009

Established Member
Landslip at Crewkerne, I believe that was the last remaining route for services to Devon & Cornwall. No services west of Yeovil Junction currently.

Devon and Cornwall now entirely cut off from the rest of the UK by rail.
Does anyone know whether the landslip was below or above the track?

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

455driver

Veteran Member
Sods law that the Whiteball Tunnel Blockade at the same time. Hopefully open after the weekend.

To what end?

Trains cant get anywhere near Whiteball because all the lines are blocked by flooding!

infobleep

Veteran Member
Normally when there are problems affecting trains, weather related, companies allow passengers to travel on each other services but not so today:
In relation to Exeter problems South West Trains has the following:
"South West Trains passengers will not be accepted on First Great Western services in the area because of flooding."
[http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/alerts.aspx]

It is quite bad out there so I guess they feel it won't help each there if they allow passengers to use each others services.

455driver

Veteran Member
Normally when there are problems affecting trains, weather related, companies allow passengers to travel on each other services but not so today:
In relation to Exeter problems South West Trains has the following:
"South West Trains passengers will not be accepted on First Great Western services in the area because of flooding."
[http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/alerts.aspx]

It is quite bad out there so I guess they feel it won't help each there if they allow passengers to use each others services.

That info has now dissapeared, maybe the fact there are no FGW trains running to Exeter (from London or Bristol) has something to do with it!

embers25

Established Member
The ban on using fgw with SWT tickets is still on the SWT website plus nat rail and it is even more crazy given the line is now shut from Salisbury onwards! I do understand why but its crazy.

infobleep

Veteran Member
That info has now dissapeared, maybe the fact there are no FGW trains running to Exeter (from London or Bristol) has something to do with it!

No doubt but would it really hurt if they added the following:
First Great Western are currently running no trains from Exeter so you avoid over crowding on their replacement buses to Bristol, South West Trains tickets are not being accepted.

Or along those lines.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Established Member
FGW Journeycheck is just full of useless and contradicting information. Good information is key at times like this. Sometimes people just won't know the information so they cannot provide it, especially if the situation is changing. Thats fair enough. But rubbish like this is just misleading:

Owing to flooding between Taunton and Bridgwater all lines are closed.
Impact:
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 35 mins or revised at short notice. Disruption is expected until 23:59 08/02.

If all lines are closed then trains are not running through and therefore won't be delayed by only up to 35 minutes.

HowardGWR

Established Member
No doubt but would it really hurt if they added the following:
First Great Western are currently running no trains from Exeter so you avoid over crowding on their replacement buses to Bristol, South West Trains tickets are not being accepted.

Or along those lines.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk
Hopefully not, re-read what you have just posted! :D

fsmr

Bridgwater appears to be swimming...

[youtube]b9X-FT1MXrQ[/youtube]

Yeh saw it a while ago on twitter Salt water and electrical equipment dont mix too well. Going to be a long while before that lot gets pumped back down to a safe level. Must be billions of gallons on the levels

Rich McLean

Established Member
Another thought, but how is the M5 getting on. If the weather gets much worse, I can see that flooded as well

pompeyfan

Established Member
Just arrived back in to portsmouth after going down to watch the football, journey down was pretty simple, 7.59 FGW fratton to westbury via Southampton and Eastleigh, and the 11.17 (delayed to 11.32) westbury to Exeter. All straight forward and simple... However... Just after half time announcements were made informing us there was no rail service east, but the police had arranged 3 coaches to travel direct to portsmouth harbour. Not sure who to thank, be it FGW or Devon & Cornwall police, but either way a too bit of work!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Another thought, but how is the M5 getting on. If the weather gets much worse, I can see that flooded as well
I was having the same thought; I know the M5 passes over the Huntspill River, it would be interesting to see what the view is like.

bnm

Established Member
[youtube]b9X-FT1MXrQ[/youtube]

Yeh saw it a while ago on twitter Salt water and electrical equipment dont mix too well.[/QUOTE]

This'll be fresh(ish!!!) water. The sea hasn't flooded the Somerset Levels, rainfall has.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The tracks around Whyteleafe South (On the Caterham Branch Line) were a bit flooded this afternoon. I'm surprised Southern were still running the service along that branch, especially with the 3rd rail

jimm

Established Member
Great Western main line is now in the wars in the Thames Valley as well, with delays of up to 25 minutes tonight due to speed restrictions caused by flooding at Twyford. I assume this is west of the station, where the line crosses the River Loddon, which the Environment Agency says is at record levels tonight. Oxford-Didcot will probably be next, with flood warnings issued in the city earlier tonight.

455driver

Veteran Member
About time all the trains were put in the depots and the company said "fullip it, we will try again next week"!

ushawk

Established Member
I imagine the Southern, Southeastern and FCC networks in the morning will be fun, stormy weather is starting to hit the SE harder.

hassaanhc

Established Member
I imagine the Southern, Southeastern and FCC networks in the morning will be fun, stormy weather is starting to hit the SE harder.
Services are/were suspended at Gipsy Hill in order to remove a dangerous tree.
Weather has been fairly calm this evening in comparison to earlier today and last night, when there were heavy showers at regular intervals (mixed in with sunny spells!) with some very strong winds.

tsr

Established Member
The tracks around Whyteleafe South (On the Caterham Branch Line) were a bit flooded this afternoon. I'm surprised Southern were still running the service along that branch, especially with the 3rd rail

They were being delayed by up to 25mins or so at times yesterday due to flooding (mainly affecting signalling equipment, IIRC).

WatcherZero

Established Member
Not sure if people have seen the landslip from this angle before, you can see part of a houses extension went and the whole street almost did!

5785544-large.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.