• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weight and body mass index

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie78

Hi all,

I recently got offered a job with Virgin subject to medical. Now I have never taken drugs and barely drink so that's fine, but I'm worried about the weight limits they impose.

I'm currently 6ft tall and weigh 16stone 11lbs making my body mass index 33. I looked at the ATOC guidelines and they say that is the maximum limit to be recruited. Is this still correct, what would happen in you were 1 or 2 marks over it? Would you be instantly rejected?

Thanks for the help in advance people

Ali

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That's quite surprising, given that there are as many overweight people in rail staff roles as there are in any other walk of life.

BMI is also lacking somewhat in that it does not properly take into account muscular build.

Neil

Last edited:

plastictaffy

We have some truly MASSIVE drivers (and guards, tbf) at my TOC. As long as you are fit and well, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you looked too big, I would have thought notes would have been made at the interview.

richw

Veteran Member
Another forum member posted some medical questions last year. He had a BMI of 40 according to his post. He is now employed at FGW so I don't think the BMI is seen as that much of an issue despite what ATOC say.

SqUaShIe P

At my last medical, my BMI was 38. Im 6ft3 tall. All they did was advise me to try and get my BMI down, which I am doing. Its mostly muscle on me anyway, but the BMI thing doesnt really take that into account. Didnt affect me getting the job anyway

BantamMenace

When I was at school the scrum half i played rugby with had a BMI of 40, he was 5ft5 and 17 stone yet the fittest guy in the team, pure muscle. BMI is a poor representation of how healthy a person is.

muz379

Established Member
when I started last year I had a BMI somewhere around 38 ,I was advised at the medical of the risks related to carrying excess body weight and advised that help was available to lower it , however because it was not coupled with any other conditions like heart problems or blood pressure I was passed fit for the role . know of guards and drivers at my depot that will have BMI's of 40+ and they still pass medicals . As I said it all comes down to other conditions that might effect your ability to do the job in the view of the occupational health practitioner

Bedpan

Established Member
Try M&S "Count on Us" or "Balanced for You" ready meals, and also low GI stuff like lentil soup, porridge, etc. I've been doing that for the last three months and have lost a couple of stone (BMI down from 32.3 to 28.8).

The M&S meals are quite filling and I usually top them up with extra veg. And if I'm hungry between meals I have houmous on soya and linseed bread - all stuff that digests slowly and so makes you feel fuller for longer.

ComUtoR

Established Member
That's quite surprising, given that there are as many overweight people in rail staff roles as there are in any other walk of life.

Neil

I believe it is about weight gain. Typically you do tend to gain weight as a Driver because of the nature of the job and the nature of shift work. I was 29 BMI when I stated and advised that it would go up and to keep an eye on it.

The BMI isn't specifically prohibitive to the job but a general health indicator; hence it being an advisory guideline and not a mandated one. If your a chubby (like me) you do need to be careful about your weight on the job and I'm glad that the guideline is there and that we are monitored on a regular basis.

iaveight

when I started last year I had a BMI somewhere around 38 ,I was advised at the medical of the risks related to carrying excess body weight and advised that help was available to lower it , however because it was not coupled with any other conditions like heart problems or blood pressure I was passed fit for the role . know of guards and drivers at my depot that will have BMI's of 40+ and they still pass medicals . As I said it all comes down to other conditions that might effect your ability to do the job in the view of the occupational health practitioner

Bmi is just a quick reference and inaccurate based on height and weight and possibly waist size. For the average Jo, it works fine but if you are a weight lifter and enjoy the gym muscle weighs more than fat, the doctor will see this when your shirt is off so I wouldnt worry too much about BMI if you are in good shape. I am 5 ft 8 and 15 and a half stone but I enjoy the gym and walk 5 miles a day when I can......

If you are worried then there is no time like the present to get out walking/jogging or download the app "army fit" to your smart phone and start doing the exercises..

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
The BMI is for mainly drivers and it is all about the ergonomics of the driving cab. Up to 33 is safe to pass the medical above the medical officer will contact the TOC usually and report to them. The ingress and egress of the cab is another factor. It isn't the weight is your physical size that is important.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We have some truly MASSIVE drivers (and guards, tbf) at my TOC. As long as you are fit and well, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you looked too big, I would have thought notes would have been made at the interview.

It's not what you become it is what you are at the medical as a new entrant. There are hundreds of drivers who had a BMI of 25 at original medical who are much higher now, if it came to the stage where a driver could not fit in the cab seat, not walk 2km on ballast or their BMI was causing problems with them carrying out their role safely then they would be taken off driving duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.