• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Weirdest Rolling Stock on a Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
In the early hours of Sunday 13th October 1991 :

31417 + 90129 (D.I.T.) + DVT + Mk3s + failed class 86 on Watford - Euston DC lines with Glasgow - Euston service running mega-late.

This unusual working was the result of the train being about 4 hours late, firstly after the 86 failed near Tamworth and taking quite some time for the rescue loco (90129) to arrive, and secondly further delayed at Milton Keynes while the police dealt with a disturbance. By the time it reached Watford Junction all 4 main running lines through Wembley were closed due to an engineering possession (I think it was a new bridge over the North Circular Road). Arrival into Euston was at 0258.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drsatan

Established Member
In August 2002 I saw a 47 dragging an HST minus the rear power car (replaced by a Mk2d BSO) up the Lickey Incline. Even if one of the power cars had failed I've no idea why it was deemed necessary to remove it.

One day in the 1970s following the failure of a 2HAP unit the Waterloo-Weybridge service was worked by a 74 propelling a 3TC.

I'm fairly certain in 1997 or 1998 a Thumper deputised for a 158 on a Cardiff-Portsmouth service. I've also heard rumours that a 143 has made it as far south as Southampton Central.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The Hastings DEMU has run on Pompey Cardiffs a number of times, almost always to provide extra capacity in connection with rugby at Cardiff. Prior to the Hastings unit becoming generally available Wales & West would often hire in one or two 159s on the Pompey-Cardiffs to free up 158s for elsewhere meanwhile the Marches line would be in the hands of LHCS (usually 37/4s).

On June 26th 1999 I was booked to work the 0725 Crewe to Manchester and then take it down to Cardiff and back, it was only upon booking on duty that I found that the 0725 to Manchester was T'n'T with D172 at the front and 37029 at the back with D172 booked to work light back to Crewe LNWR depot.. 37029 failed at Crewe on the return and after a short delay D172 was reattatched and worked through to Cardiff much to the amazement of myself and local photographers, and by the time we reached Hereford the word had got round and we were inundated with cranks for the hour run to Cardiff! That was my best working day in my career so far, and it is still the only Class 46 haulage I have had.:D

http://www.hondawanderer.com/D172_Cwmbran_1999.htm

In addition may I add, 56033 on a Portsmouth to Waterloo working in 1988, a pair of 321s working through to Liverpool in 1990, 317s to Newcastle a few years ago, a Merseyrail 150/2 at Portsmouth Harbour in 1995, and just a couple of days ago 150131 in Silverlink colours on a Cardiff-Portsmouth.

richw

Veteran Member
i havent seen it personally, although on the tauntontrains website i recall seeing a picture of 2 locos, pulling a rake of hst buffet cars, no other carriages just buffets, guess you'd never go hungry, although i believe it was a ECS movement

MCR247

Established Member
They were moving to Eastleigh to go into storage

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That will be one of the short sets on test for the abortive regional services. I have photos of one at Rugby.

pemma

Veteran Member
In the past:
142 running a Holyhead-Manchester service.
144 running a Manchester Airport-Cleethorphes service.
150s running Scarborough-Holyhead.

More recently:
221s running between Chester and Crewe only due to a revised timetable.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Not so much weird as in class of locomotive on the route, but weird as in which specific locomotive!

This is the detailed picture of 47 401 at Waterloo on the day it somehow ended up on the Exeter Line, as promised in the "Guess the stations" thread.

Attachments

• 47 401 Waterloo 19th Aug 1989 picture 4686.jpg
    47 401 Waterloo 19th Aug 1989 picture 4686.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 21

Bittern

Established Member
A 158 and a 220 have found themselves at Bo'ness. I've seen a few pics of the Voyager at Bo'ness and one of the 158. If anyone has any pics and/or videos of these. please share! :)

Very interested in modern trains on heritage lines.

CarterUSM

Established Member
A 158 and a 220 have found themselves at Bo'ness. I've seen a few pics of the Voyager at Bo'ness and one of the 158. If anyone has any pics and/or videos of these. please share! :)

Very interested in modern trains on heritage lines.

Does that not happen every year or so to show trainee drivers experience of wheelslip? ScotRail used to take their trainees out there, stick a load of washing up liquid on a section of line and slide up and down it all day!

pemma

Veteran Member
A 142+150+156 on a peak Blackpool service in the summer. Unsurprisingly the 156 filled up first, the 142 was a Merseytravel one!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I was rather surprised to see a 156 on a North Berwick service last year. I've seen other things running it, mostly 170s, but never a 156 before.

You could have a long list with the snow, 156s on the Edinburgh - Glasgow via Falkirk route. A massive improvement :lol:

Established Member
You could have a long list with the snow, 156s on the Edinburgh - Glasgow via Falkirk route. A massive improvement :lol:

One turned up on the Edinburgh-Dunblane line, which I'm aware sometimes happens, but I think it's pretty rare. Wasn't best pleased with it though, as it was draughty, the heaters didn't seem to be working and the doors jammed open <(
It was -12 outside and probably not far off that inside :lol:

Failed Unit

Established Member
One turned up on the Edinburgh-Dunblane line, which I'm aware sometimes happens, but I think it's pretty rare. Wasn't best pleased with it though, as it was draughty, the heaters didn't seem to be working and the doors jammed open <(
It was -12 outside and probably not far off that inside :lol:

The were very common on that route during the snow, in fact I saw more of them than turbo's! Normally the SPT ones (I know technically they don't exist but the ones with Green seats)

12CSVT

Established Member

Reminds me of a time when I was waiting at Falkirk High for a Glasgow train in the days of push-pull 47s. A class 101 DMU turned up instead.

me123

Established Member
Does the 158 do the Glasgow to Edinburgh Shuttle anymore?

I don't think they do any Edinburgh-Glasgow duties any more. Not regularly, anyway. The route via Falkirk is booked to be all 170s. And I'm sure the route via Shotts is booked to be exclusively 156s now. And of course the other two (via Carstairs and via Bathgate) are electrified and served by EMUs.

Of course, this won't stop 158s turning up in times of disruption.

nikole95

The class 20 and 47 in top & tail mode substituting a DMU on the Great Yarmouth line is probably the most bizarre working so far this year

Probably nothing too weird in the context of things, but I head back about 10 years ago of class 455's working London Victoria-South coast services as far as Haywards Heath in place of 400's and class 205's covering for 165/166's on the North Downs.

route101

Established Member
I don't think they do any Edinburgh-Glasgow duties any more. Not regularly, anyway. The route via Falkirk is booked to be all 170s. And I'm sure the route via Shotts is booked to be exclusively 156s now. And of course the other two (via Carstairs and via Bathgate) are electrified and served by EMUs.

Yeah i remember sometimes the 1930 ex Edinburgh to Queen st was a 158 at times . Shame the Shotts is 156 and the Whifflet is 158:roll:

Bittern

Established Member
The Motherwell - Cumbernauld shuttle is also now a 158 for some insane reason. They aren't suited for such short trips.

Failed Unit

Established Member

During the rugby there always used to be a 170+158 service, the one that was diagramed to stop at Bishopsbriggs. However I am not sure if that will survive now Bishopsbriggs is a 6 car set. One weekend it was a 170+170 and I think they told passengers to stay on to Glasgow and get a taxi as the train could not stop. It was the 2300 service ex Waverley.

Status
Not open for further replies.