• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Welcome back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you for putting up with a short period of downtime earlier. This has enabled us to upgrade the forum to the latest software version and also to implement our new styles.

In our user survey a few months ago many users indicated that they would like to see a greater variety of styles and we hope that you are happy with the new range of styles. You can select a style by using the drop-down menu in the bottom left corner of every page or through your User CP.

As part of this update, the majority of the older styles have been discontinued although some are still available for selection. The older styles are: RailUK Black/Worksafe black, Photo style and all styles designed for 1024x768 resolutions. In due course these will be transferred across to the new style although, there is very little difference between the old and new picture styles (bar some images themselves!) The main change is the new 'Community' menu which allows quicker access to your albums and is also the new location for the members list.

If you have any images that you think would look good on our styles then please submit them here.

How the forums are viewed by visitors has also been changing and there has been a gradual shift away from smaller resolutions and as a result some of the fixed width styles have changed. There are now 7 styles designed for resolutions around 1280px wide (previously there was only 1 available) and there are less styles for those with 800x600 resolutions, although our fluid and default styles are still suitable for those with 800x600 resolutions when you are logged in.

As part of the update some changes were made to the search engine - searches should be quicker and also be more accurate; including a wider range of results. Unfortunately there is still a minimum character limit of 4.

Finally, we should now be able to see more advanced statistics which will provide a number of benefits for everyone!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teaboy1

Ooooohhh......my page background is all swirly and floral like. Makes me all floaty butterfly like...........:lol::lol:
Very good chaps!!:p

Dai.

Established Member
The wavey background and updated forum viewing is going to be transferred through the styles right?
I didn't quite understand the main post :(

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Love the styles, just a bit disappointed there are not so many fluids, as there are a lot of nice widescreens and 1024x768 but they're either too wide or not wide enough :(

me123

Established Member
I have a small thing here. I've selected the FSR 170 (a good shot by the way), but if I go to another page I go back to the default. I'm using Google Chrome, which may be the issue, because it works fine in IE7.

Not a major problem though; I like the new default anyway.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Might be a problem at your end with cookies or something as haven't had anyone else with the same problem (nor myself, although I don't use Chrome). Try setting it in your UserCP and that will always stick wherever you log in.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've just discovered a few cosmetic problems which affected all users viewing the default style in Internet Explorer and for users who are not logged in in the fluid styles in all browsers. Both issues have now been corrected.

Death

Established Member
Hail Mojo! <D
I like the new styles that I've tried so far...The one of the Chappel Viaduct looks particularly epic in it's own right! Currently using the Northern EMT 153 style here though, as I like it's heritage green livery! 8)

As for style "sticking" issues, I havn't seen any at the moment. One thing that I do know though is that some browsers block cookes set using Javascript, and only allow cookies passed directly from the server - So that could be worth exploring. :)

Farewell for now, and congratulations on the excellent work! <D
>> Death <<

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Funny you should have posted that as just afterwards I'd uploaded a new background which is 61% smaller than the original! Still you'll probably have that on a lot of websites with background images!

Death

Established Member
Funny you should have posted that as just afterwards I'd uploaded a new background which is 61% smaller than the original! Still you'll probably have that on a lot of websites with background images!
Actually, I was going to also thank ye for that mobile style that ye've crafted/provided as well, although yesterday I forgot to do so as I was tired. Although I don't access the forum via mobile devices, it'll make reading the forum via TTY devices and other situations where I'm using a low bandwidth / Low capability machine so much easier! 8)

My iPod isn't a fan of the background, default style now very laggy!
I know that the iPhone and iPod Touch are both designed to handle standard PC-esque web browsing, but due to the slower bandwidth on 3G and smaller screen size, I'd recommend using the "Mobile" theme as I've described above.
Assuming that ye don't have any script/cookie blockers etc. installed in Safari, then ye should be able to set the mobile as the default style on thy iPhone alone by just selecting "-- Mobi" from the drop-down at the bottom right of this page, or using this link: Set my browser to use the "Mobi" style :)

Addendum: Although using that "Set" link will work on any of thy mobile browsers, any settings defined in thy User CP will override them - Meaning that ye'll see another style after logging in from thy iPhone/Pod. These should revert back to previous after logout, although ye can also bookmark the above link in case it doesn't. :)

Farewell, and hope this helps! <D
>> Death <<

Last edited:
I find typing on here a bit laggy on my iPod touch but other than that its fine. my iPod touch is dog slow anyway, I don't know why, I don't have that many apps on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.