• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Well I Never Knew That"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2

Established Member
There have been more stations called Newport in the UK than any other name.
Thomas Hardy was a works clerk during the building of St Pancras.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Welshman

Established Member
1] At least 3 locomotives -47549 [ex D1724]; 47201 [ex D1851] and 47497 [ex D1940], have travelled from Holyhead to Barrow-in-Furness without passing through Bangor, Chester or Preston.

They were shipped across the Irish Sea following their being marooned on Anglesey after the Britannia Bridge fire of May 1970.

2] Branwell Bronte, brother of Emily & Charlotte, was employed as a porter at Luddenden Foot station [between Sowerby Bridge & Hebden Bridge on the L & Y Calder Valley line] in 1841. Unfortunately, he was dismissed in 1842 after a discrepency was discovered in the accounts following the loss of £11. This was attributed to incompetency rather than theft.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
No, not a suffix, a station with the name 'Newport' because it is serving a Newport!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No, not a suffix, a station with the name 'Newport' because it is serving a Newport!

It might be a suffix but as far as I'm aware, Manchester and London Victoria have always been known colloquially as "Victoria" so I would assume that the others were as well.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Didnt some graves fall through into a tunnel somewhere as they were digging it?

(PS: I'm sure it was the London and Birmingham)

You are quite right, it was - it's one of the Watford tunnels, but I''m not sure if it's the fast or slow lines tunnel. I think it's the fast lines tunnel.

MCR247

Established Member
It might be a suffix but as far as I'm aware, Manchester and London Victoria have always been known colloquially as "Victoria" so I would assume that the others were as well.

And your point is..?

flymo

Established Member
'Station Road' is apparently the second most common name for a road in the UK, after 'High Street'. Some reports suggest that there are, or were, 3811 instances of a 'Station Road' in the UK.

Did we ever have that many stations?, I guess we did at one point.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There are two Station Roads in Oxted (one East and one West) as well as a Station Approach, so I can imagine it...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And your point is..?

The point is, if I were standing in Maidstone or Canterbury for example, and I said to someone I was going to "East" they would look at me blankly. Whereas if I were in Manchester or London and said to someone that I was going to Victoria they would know exactly where I was going. This suggests that the name "Victoria" has more identity for a location than suffixes such as East, West or Central.

This as well as the fact that the post in question made no differentiation between "suffixes" in station names anyway so your post seems to me to be incorrect.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The point is, if I were standing in Maidstone or Canterbury for example, and I said to someone I was going to "East" they would look at me blankly. Whereas if I were in Manchester or London and said to someone that I was going to Victoria they would know exactly where I was going. This suggests that the name "Victoria" has more identity for a location than suffixes such as East, West or Central.

This as well as the fact that the post in question made no differentiation between "suffixes" in station names anyway so your post seems to me to be incorrect.

Very true. However, try standing in London and say you're going to "Bridge" :D

tbtc

Veteran Member
Until Peterhead joined the Scottish Football League, the furthest league ground from a train station in Scotland was the Forfar Athletic ground called...

...Station Park.

Burkitt

c2c is the only TOC where every staion it serves is staffed (not LOROL style-staffing!)

What about East Coast and Virgin West Coast? I thought they mainly served fairly large stations, or are there some peripheral ones which are unstaffed?
Eurostar and Heathrow Express definitely only serve staffed stations, but I don't suppose they count as proper TOCs.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What about East Coast and Virgin West Coast? I thought they mainly served fairly large stations, or are there some peripheral ones which are unstaffed?

I don't know about VT but for EC they do call at a few unstaffed stations but they are indeed all peripheral ones in Scotland north of Edinburgh (or at least I think they are).

scotsman

Established Member
Eurostar and Heathrow Express definitely only serve staffed stations, but I don't suppose they count as proper TOCs.

I'd have thought Virgin, but East Coast serve Dunkeld, Blair Atholl, Dalwhinnie, Newtonmore and Carrbridge - all unstaffed

MCR247

Established Member

No. Not really.

There have been more stations called Newport than anywhere else was more or less what the quote said. If it said, there are more stations with the word newport, then you'd be correct.

I don't see how people refer to their local stations is relevent

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No. Not really.

There have been more stations called Newport than anywhere else was more or less what the quote said. If it said, there are more stations with the word newport, then you'd be correct.

I don't see how people refer to their local stations is relevent

Firstly, I only asked the question as to whether there were more stations called Newport than Victoria, so if someone comes up with more Newports than Victoria I would be happy to concede.

Secondly, you were the one who brought up the issue of suffxes. As far as I'm concerned Victoria Station is officially called "Victoria" which means that that is it's name. Whether it's London Victoria, Manchester Victoria, Nottingham Victoria, Swansea Victoria, Norwich Victoria, or, if you want to be pedantic, Bombay Victoria.

VideozVideoz

20 Years ago there used to be an Express Sheffield-Manchester train that stopped at 1 station in the Hope Valley - Edale. No idea what the reason for this was as I was very young

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Carrbridge and others as stated above for EC, have a different feeling for VT...

Only takes one :D

TomJ93

Lichfield can be unmanned at times Sandwell&Dudley? Stations in Wales? Lockerbie?

That should find an unmanned VT station.

Wyvern

Established Member
Firstly, I only asked the question as to whether there were more stations called Newport than Victoria, so if someone comes up with more Newports than Victoria I would be happy to concede.

Secondly, you were the one who brought up the issue of suffxes. As far as I'm concerned Victoria Station is officially called "Victoria" which means that that is it's name. Whether it's London Victoria, Manchester Victoria, Nottingham Victoria, Swansea Victoria, Norwich Victoria, or, if you want to be pedantic, Bombay Victoria.

THere are an awful lot of stations called "Midland" and even more called "Central," :p

flymo

Established Member
Nostalgic trivia - In 1922 the through carriages from Aberdeen - Penzance took 21 hours 55 minutes southbound, that is about 8½ hours longer than today's journey.

scotsman

Established Member
Lichfield can be unmanned at times Sandwell&Dudley? Stations in Wales? Lockerbie?

That should find an unmanned VT station.

Lockerbie is staffed most of the day, under the definition of unstaffed - it does not count

krus_aragon

Established Member
The Vale of Glamorgan Railway opened in December 1897, giving a direct route from Bridgend to the new docks of Barry. On the 10th of January, however, the viaduct at Porthkerry collapsed. A diversionary route following the gradient around the valley was built and opened within three months, and the coal trains started running again. The company then went to Parliament, to seek retrospective permission for the diversion!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Apologies to the unstaffed comment - every station served by VWC is staffed, including those out in North Wales. However, c2c is the only TOC on a self contained (i.e. just one area) to do so - MerseyRail has 4 unmanned (the two intermediates on the Chester and Ellesmere Port branches). In the days when Virgin ran CrossCountry, they only served ONE unmanned station (exc. the irregularly served Patchway and Filton Abbey Wood, which was still satffed then). Can anyone name it?

Status
Not open for further replies.