• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wensleydale Railway Northallerton West station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duffield

Established Member
Just to say that I had a really good time on the Wensleydale on Sat 14th March.

Got the 09:30 from Northallerton West to Redmire, walked to Asgarth Falls and back, and got the 14:30 back from Redmire.
Staff were very friendly.
Managed to get a front seat on the way to Redmire (3 car DMU), excellent view of lots of wildlife. Lots of rabbits and pheasant (which sit on the line until the wheel is just about to go over them). Also I think there was a kestrel, a buzzard and some partridges (but I'm not an expert).

At Redmire there were the delights of the 'ski-jump' section of the line coming into the station, and I noticed what must have been a tank unloading bay for the MOD.

Highly recommended and excellent value considering the long journey you get.

I'd like to return and visit some intermediate stations - didn't have time on this occasion. Also looking forward to the extension to Aysgarth (although this may be quite a while).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Just to say that I had a really good time on the Wensleydale on Sat 14th March.

Got the 09:30 from Northallerton West to Redmire, walked to Asgarth Falls and back, and got the 14:30 back from Redmire.
Staff were very friendly.
Managed to get a front seat on the way to Redmire (3 car DMU), excellent view of lots of wildlife. Lots of rabbits and pheasant (which sit on the line until the wheel is just about to go over them). Also I think there was a kestrel, a buzzard and some partridges (but I'm not an expert).

At Redmire there were the delights of the 'ski-jump' section of the line coming into the station, and I noticed what must have been a tank unloading bay for the MOD.

Highly recommended and excellent value considering the long journey you get.

I'd like to return and visit some intermediate stations - didn't have time on this occasion. Also looking forward to the extension to Aysgarth (although this may be quite a while).

Yes, it is a good line, I went on it a couple of years ago, it was summer and they had a vintage single decker bus which I caught from Redmire to Hawes which was a pleasant town, (I bought some Wensleydale Cheese there), then I went back to Redmire where there was & I presume still is a great pub, I think called the Bolton Arms, which did great home made lunches. :D

I think I went out in the morning by a diesel loco hauled train of MK 1 or MK 2 carriages, then the return was steam hauled, but oddly the steamer was hauling the DMU Set, I was in the front coach so had great views of the loco.

I think they may be getting a bit closer to Northallerton now, I know they want to join the ECML there and ideally Garsdale on the SCR eventually, but these things take time and money.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Several forum members are going to the Wensleydale Railway within the next few weeks, if I can interest anyone else please let me know!

duffield

Established Member
I think they may be getting a bit closer to Northallerton now, I know they want to join the ECML there and ideally Garsdale on the SCR eventually, but these things take time and money.

The new Northallerton West station (which I travelled from) is as far as I can see likely to remain the limit of operations for the foreseeable future (apart from occasional charters, ECS etc) because that takes you to the NR boundary. And even if this wasn't a problem you'd be going further away from Northallerton if you crossed the boundary! Northallerton West is the only current practical terminus unless and until the South Curve is reinstated and I believe that's fairly long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.