• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Werrington grade separation updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1984

Thanks I was wondering how they actually side the bit under the ECML, that article has explained it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crun

A website article worth reading from New Civil Engineer:

Future of Rail | Curved box jack under East Coast Main Line junction

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/th...out-east-coast-main-line-junction-19-02-2020/

"Bauer Technologies is currently installing the first 84 of 142, 600mm diameter minipiles to 7.5m depth below the A15 bridge to allow the track level to be lowered below the original road level to make space for the overhead line electrification equipment."

An interesting point for possible, future electrification of the GNGE line.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks I was wondering how they actually side the bit under the ECML, that article has explained it
“Slide into a curved slot in the embankment”, is how I’d summarise it. But being controlled by a rail system in pre-bored tunnels is the novel aspect.

I think some early descriptions used the term “jacked under” the ECML, implying the track formation was left in situ, but the detailed procedure now reveals that they will dig away the embankment ahead of the box as it is moved.

By the way, the latest article basically repeats what was explained in the Rail Engineer online magazine a couple of weeks back, linked in post #325. It’s a much more detailed 6 page article compared to the latest info.

Last edited:

Thanks for the brilliant compilation Crun! The music is soothing too 8-). I noticed that some of the pantographs are almost vertical on the mainline in places; does the OHLE have to be high there for a particular reason?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for the brilliant compilation Crun! The music is soothing too 8-). I noticed that some of the pantographs are almost vertical on the mainline in places; does the OHLE have to be high there for a particular reason?
Will it be for a level crossing?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A former level crossing, yes. Hurn Road LC closed in the early 1990s, and the wire heights haven't been readjusted to reflect the closure.
Is that because there’s another crossing a bit further north? It may be sensible not to change it, assuming a pantograph still works efficiently at any height within its designed scope?

Apologies if off topic for the diveunder works.

A former level crossing, yes. Hurn Road LC closed in the early 1990s, and the wire heights haven't been readjusted to reflect the closure.

Many thanks for the explanation 59CosG95! I'm very interested in electrification and improvement projects but not too savvy with the technical/engineering side of things.

59CosG95

Established Member
Is that because there’s another crossing a bit further north? It may be sensible not to change it, assuming a pantograph still works efficiently at any height within its designed scope?

Apologies if off topic for the diveunder works.
Yes, there are several crossing north of Hurn Rd; they are (in order): Woodcroft, Helpston, Maxey, Lolham & Tallington. I'm not sure if the wire height is constant between them though!

Many thanks for the explanation 59CosG95! I'm very interested in electrification and improvement projects but not too savvy with the technical/engineering side of things.
As am I, and after several years' hard graft at uni, it's the industry I'm now a part of :D

Crun

Thanks to Mick aka 'werrington junction'... I just add them to this forum. He has had his viewing figures on YouTube boosted since I started doing this ;) :)

Last edited:

Crun

Crossing The Stamford Lines 6th March 2020
Movement of personnel and consumables using the temporary crossing over the Stamford lines. A YouTube video courtesy of werrington junction:

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
On an access related note, the overpumping system of pipes allowing the Marholm Brook to temporarily bypass the new box culvert has now been removed, with the culvert now in full operation.
This means Cock Lane Footbridge is now fully accessible to wheelchairs.

Crun

In the late 1980's I used to cycle across the ECML in the evenings to get from the Bretton side to my then girlfriend's flat in Werrington. It was a question of opening a gate, looking left and right, listening all the time and riding quickly to the gate on the eastern side of the ECML. I used to also cross the ECML by bike heading to Glinton and Arthur Mellows Village School where the Peterborough Cycling Club used to meet once a month. It is now a manned crossing with a barrier.

59CosG95

Established Member
In the late 1980's I used to cycle across the ECML in the evenings to get from the Bretton side to my then girlfriend's flat in Werrington. It was a question of opening a gate, looking left and right, listening all the time and riding quickly to the gate on the eastern side of the ECML. I used to also cross the ECML by bike heading to Glinton and Arthur Mellows Village School where the Peterborough Cycling Club used to meet once a month. It is now a manned crossing with a barrier.
I think we're thinking of different crossings! Hurn Road is here:
hurn rd xing.PNG

The one which most closely matches your description of a manned crossing with a barrier en route to Glinton is Woodcroft Rd LC, which is here:
woodcroft rd xing.PNG
Woodcroft still has manual barriers.

Aictos

Established Member
View attachment 75529

The one which most closely matches your description of a manned crossing with a barrier en route to Glinton is Woodcroft Rd LC, which is here:
View attachment 75530

I remember when Hurn Road was a manned crossing and you had to ring the doorbell mounted on a post to get the attention of the crossing keeper who would open the gates to let you though.

Then once they decided to close the crossing, they put the foot bridge in to replace the crossing.

Crun

View attachment 75529

View attachment 75530

I used the old, gated crossing on Hurn Road to get to Werrington and the Woodcroft Crossing with the barriers to get to Glinton. Both would have been around the mid to late 80's.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
I used the old, gated crossing on Hurn Road to get to Werrington and the Woodcroft Crossing with the barriers to get to Glinton. Both would have
been around the mid to late 80's.

That's how I remember both crossings, back to the subject though I'm glad they've finally got a wheelchair accessible footbridge at Cock Lane.

Crun

That's how I remember both crossings, back to the subject though I'm glad they've finally got a wheelchair accessible footbridge at Cock Lane.

Apologies for causing a minor drift in this thread. The whole design of the footbridge is good and now that the obstacle to wheelchair access has been removed it is excellent. It is also much safer as it separates pedestrians and cyclists.

Class 170101

Established Member
Photographs of heavy machinery at a standstill taken from the Cock Lane bridge with no sign of any activity or workers on 28th March 2020:

The standstill will be due to coronavirus. However what impact would a potential 12 week stoppage have on the project in terms of the critical possessions where train are suspended or diverted via GE/GN Joint Line plus the proposed blockades and commissioning of said dive under.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The standstill will be due to coronavirus. However what impact would a potential 12 week stoppage have on the project in terms of the critical possessions where train are suspended or diverted via GE/GN Joint Line plus the proposed blockades and commissioning of said dive under.

A very significant effect, I would imagine. Unlikely to be the only job in a similar position either.
(I must stress that I don’t know!)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A very significant effect, I would imagine. Unlikely to be the only job in a similar position either.
(I must stress that I don’t know!)
I’d have thought almost the entire possession programme (at least those for upgrades) will have to move right “across the board” by however many weeks they eventually decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.