• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Coast Motors & Borders Buses

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I think Borders Buses could have a look at the X62 and extend the service to Melrose via Borders General Hospital. This service went there years ago. Passengers in Peebles have to change at Galashiels. There was also a service running via Howgate, missing out Penicuik. That would be a faster bus for Peebles, Innerleithen and Walkerburn

I think the Peebles Bus should be looked into, it needs a better evening service coming from Peebles into the city and vice versa.

DunsBus

Established Member
I doubt that the X62 will be restored to Melrose via Tweedbank and the BGH. That routing is now covered by the 67/68 and Melrose certainly does not require a frequency of 5 bph to Galashiels.

The 63 via Howgate has not run since 1986 or was it 1981, unless you are thinking about the X70 which was one peak journey each way until Covid struck.
The X62 certainly won't be returning to Melrose. All of the X62-branded buses have had Melrose removed from the branding.

JKP

The X62 will not be returning to Melrose. As a wholly commercial service, Borders Buses sees Penicuik as being more lucrative than Howgate and Auchendinny. It also makes sense for all buses along a corridor to follow the same route unless of course, you are advocating one bus an hour via Penicuik and one bus an hour via Howgate and Auchendinny.

Last edited by a moderator:

WestieBus

Service 477 (Rothesay-Portavadie) restarting, as well as some timetable changes https://www.westcoastmotors.co.uk/service-changes

Minor service changes for Campbeltown, Dunoon and Ardrishaig​

Yesterday Thu 10th Aug 2023
Tighnabruaich Services

• Minor changes to journey timings to accommodate school travel

• Additional journeys added to accommodate school travel.
    • Through combination with service 478 there are now journey opportunities to travel between Otter Ferry and Dunoon more easily than before.

• Service introduced to provide a direct service between Kames/Tighnabruaich and Bute without a change of vehicle.
      • Customers should plan to book ferry tickets before travel where possible to ensure a smooth transition at ferry terminals.

• Additional journeys added between Dunoon and Tighnabruaich, some providing connections to and from Otter Ferry.
    • Revision to some journeys to better transport school pupils.

West Coast Motors services changes 15th August 2023

Dunoon Services

• Minor changes to journey timings and last journey from Dunoon on schooldays now later to accommodate school travel.

• Minor changes to journey timings, mainly school journeys.

• Minor changes to journey timings, mainly school journeys. Day time departures from Inveraray slightly later to allow connectivity with Citylink services.

• Minor timetable revisions around school times and adjustments to early morning journeys to meet CalMac sailings to Gourock for onward rail connections.

Campbeltown Services

• 300/445
    • Some journeys from Cambeltown towards Carradale will omit Longrow due to parking/congestion issues.

Ardrishaig Services

• 23/423
Minor timing revision on morning school journey to Oban to accommodate school

WCM also now have a fourth Evora (SJ23 HRU)

Last edited:
HRP and HRR are at Galashiels in White according to Bustimes.org

Believed to be operating from Galashiels in white whilst awaiting their turn in the paintshop before moving to Glasgow.

Known so far are:

12312 - SJ23HRL - WCM livery - Glasgow
12313 - SJ23HRN - WCM livery - Glasgow
12314 - SJ23HRP - white - Galashiels
12315 - SJ23HRR - white - Galashiels
12316 - SJ23HRU - white - Glasgow
12317 - SJ23HRW - white - Glasgow

WestieBus

https://www.vehicle-operator-licens...registered-local-bus-services/details/615084/ First is taking over service 398 from WCM

• Registration numberPM0000001/668
  • Licence NumberPM0000001
  • Variation number0
  • StatusRegistered
  • Service number.398
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointGlasgow Central Station, Gordon Street
  • Finish pointGlasgow Central Station, Gordon Street
  • ViaQueen Street Station
  • Date received18 Aug 2023
  • Effective date01 Oct 2023
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?No
  • Local authorities covered by routeStrathclyde Partnership for Transport
  • TAOs covered by routeScotland

WestieBus

SN11BVB (the last e300 in the fleet) has returned to Dunoon depot in hook livery after 5 months out of service. Labels are still missing from the vehicle

JKP

Borders Buses have posted on their timetable page a new service 0418 starting 3rd January 2024. This new route will run between Wooler (2 journeys) or Belford (1journey) and Alnwick via Bamburgh, Seahouses, Craster on Mondays to Saturdays. On Sundays, there are 3 return journeys between Belford and Alnwick via the coast. This new route replaces Travelsure 418 which is withdrawn after 22nd December. The Wooler extension beyond Belford is to allow integration with 464 Berwick to Wooler.

The Glasgow tour is being renamed red route from 29th of March and a new yellow route being introduced in May.

• PM0000019/136 Registered​

CRAIG OF CAMPBELTOWN LTD
    Route: North Hannover Street, Glasgow to North Hannover Street, Glasgow via Merchant City, Gorbals, Pollock
    Service number: Yellow Route
    Service type: Limited Stop
    Effective date: 17 May 2024
  • PM0000019/103 Registered​

CRAIG OF CAMPBELTOWN LTD
    Route: George Square to George Square
    Service number: Red Route
    Service type: Normal Stopping
    Effective date: 29 Mar 2024

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Borders Buses has put a poster (pictured below) at Berwick Railway station.

IMG-20240331-WA0000.jpg
Image description: Picture of timetable poster at a bus stop at Berwick Railway Station with a poster on top of the 464 timetable reading: "464/267. Please note that the above services leave from Railway Street Bus Stop behind the Castle Hotel. They do not serve the Railway Station.
My issue with this is that this poster covers the 464 timetable which is not shown at the Railway Street bus stop as the 464 doesn't usually call there. Yes one could look on the Borders' Buses website/app but not everyone has access to these (especially elderly people). I have reached out to Borders Buses via Twitter/X and am yet to receive a response.

JKP

Borders Buses has put a poster (pictured below) at Berwick Railway station.

View attachment 155482

My issue with this is that this poster covers the 464 timetable which is not shown at the Railway Street bus stop as the 464 doesn't usually call there. Yes one could look on the Borders' Buses website/app but not everyone has access to these (especially elderly people). I have reached out to Borders Buses via Twitter/X and am yet to receive a response.
The 267 and 464 only call at Railway Street so the info poster is correct. However, I do agree with you that the poster should not cover the timetable.

The timetable displays are generated by Nexus as far as I know so it should be them or Northumberland Council you should contact and request a timetable display is erected in Railway Street.

The whole question as to what bus leaves from which stop needs to be looked at with a suitable map showing the departure points. When I was last there a 60 to Duns decided to load and depart from the Railway Approach rather than in front of the station. Fortunately the lady driver stopped to pick me up then again in Railway Street to pick up a young lad.

DunsBus

Established Member
The 267 and 464 only call at Railway Street so the info poster is correct. However, I do agree with you that the poster should not cover the timetable.

The timetable displays are generated by Nexus as far as I know so it should be them or Northumberland Council you should contact and request a timetable display is erected in Railway Street.

The whole question as to what bus leaves from which stop needs to be looked at with a suitable map showing the departure points. When I was last there a 60 to Duns decided to load and depart from the Railway Approach rather than in front of the station. Fortunately the lady driver stopped to pick me up then again in Railway Street to pick up a young lad.
As far as I know, the 60 to Duns and Galashiels should leave from in front of the station and not on the approach road.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

I have no issue with what the poster says, just as you said that it covers the timetable. I will reach out to Nexus and Northumberland Council though, thank you.

JKP

As far as I know, the 60 to Duns and Galashiels should leave from in front of the station and not on the approach road.
It was the 1501 schooldays except Fridays journey which terminates at the Station and has a driver changeover.

Passengers seemed genuinely confused where to wait the day I travelled not only for Borders Buses 60 and 253 but also Arriva. I was surprised to see that the 253 left from in front of the Station rather than the Approach. Is this usual?

DunsBus

Established Member
It was the 1501 schooldays except Fridays journey which terminates at the Station and has a driver changeover.

Passengers seemed genuinely confused where to wait the day I travelled not only for Borders Buses 60 and 253 but also Arriva. I was surprised to see that the 253 left from in front of the Station rather than the Approach. Is this usual?
I know the journey you mean. That one goes to Duns, continues to Berwickshire High School, turns there and comes back to Berwick shadowing the 1443 service 60 from Galashiels to Berwick which comes through Duns at 1553. The timetable assumes that a) you know where to wait for that journey at Berwick station, and b) you also know when the Scottish schooldays are. No wonder people are confused.

As for the 253, yes - it has left from in front of the station for a couple of years now. Previously it terminated in the town centre and didn't serve the station.