• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

Martin2012

By the way for anyone interested SGBC are operating a journey on the Megabus M10 route from Bristol to London right now using tri axle levante T300SGB

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

winston270twm

Established Member

Although Wessex are introducing new service 'UOB' they are making changes to the existing 17/18 from the same date:

PH1066711/38 Registered
WESSEX BUS LTD
Route: Lower Oldfield Park to Bath University via City Centre
Service number: 17 (18)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 24 Apr 2017
PH1066711/133 Registered

Looks like 9th May is the date that First Bristol get UWE all to themselves:

PH1066711/107
WESSEX BUS LTD, CROSS QUAYS BUSINESS PARK, HALLBRIDGE WAY, TIVIDALE, OLDBURY, B69 3HW
Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number X14 effective from 19 May 2017.
Publication: N&P West of England(2585), Bus Registration Cancellation
Date: 09 Mar 2017

PH1066711/128
WESSEX BUS LTD, CROSS QUAYS BUSINESS PARK, HALLBRIDGE WAY, TIVIDALE, OLDBURY, B69 3HW
Operating between Uwe Bower Ashton Campus and Anchor Road, Bristol given service number 11 effective from 19 May 2017.

Very little left of Wessex Bristol services left now

THarris123

Established Member
Although Wessex are introducing new service 'UOB' they are making changes to the existing 17/18 from the same date:

PH1066711/38 Registered
WESSEX BUS LTD
Route: Lower Oldfield Park to Bath University via City Centre
Service number: 17 (18)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 24 Apr 2017
PH1066711/133 Registered

Looks like 9th May is the date that First Bristol get UWE all to themselves:

PH1066711/107
Operating between Frenchay Campus and Frenchay Campus given service number X14 effective from 19 May 2017.

PH1066711/128
Operating between Uwe Bower Ashton Campus and Anchor Road, Bristol given service number 11 effective from 19 May 2017.

Very little left of Wessex Bristol services left now

I think you'll find that the Wessex service 11 and X14 are re-registered again. Not sure why. Its the same with First 16.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I think you'll find that the Wessex service 11 and X14 are re-registered again. Not sure why. Its the same with First 16.
I have often wondered why Wessex don't run the X14 between UWE Frenchay and UWE Bower Ashton via. M32. Would probably pick up quite a bit of traffic as it would be faster than First's service 71. Perhaps a new registration will follow for UWE Frenchay to UWE Bower Ashton?

Dave

BBC

I suspect you're correct, looking at the uwe term dates and they line up with these date. So they've cancelled it until the neew term in September I'd say !

THarris123

Established Member
I suspect you're correct, looking at the uwe term dates and they line up with these date. So they've cancelled it until the neew term in September I'd say !

It's a little more odd than that. They've cancelled it and then registered it from December 2016. I think it's to do with a route change involving Metrobus.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I have often wondered why Wessex don't run the X14 between UWE Frenchay and UWE Bower Ashton via. M32. Would probably pick up quite a bit of traffic as it would be faster than First's service 71. Perhaps a new registration will follow for UWE Frenchay to UWE Bower Ashton?

Dave

Probably for two reasons...

1. Where are your passengers originating from? They may not feel that there's enough to go round for one service and that serving Gloucester Road helps bolster ridership, and certainly not enough for two services from centre to Bower Ashton.
  2. Also, how much time do you build into layover in the city centre? Otherwise, First can just sit a decker there and hoover up most of the passengers.

Marc

Probably for two reasons...

1. Where are your passengers originating from?

there is very little travel between bower aston and frenchay due to how uni departments are set up. its not like glenside and frenchay which have plenty of overlap and demand for travel.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
there is very little travel between bower aston and frenchay due to how uni departments are set up. its not like glenside and frenchay which have plenty of overlap and demand for travel.

That was what I was driving at.

My thought was that perhaps it was serving student areas on the Gloucester Road for both campuses but perhaps not for end to end. However, I confess I don't know how UWE is set up in terms of students being housed at one campus and needing to get to the other.

swifty

Established Member
That was what I was driving at.

My thought was that perhaps it was serving student areas on the Gloucester Road for both campuses but perhaps not for end to end. However, I confess I don't know how UWE is set up in terms of students being housed at one campus and needing to get to the other.

You've hit the nail on the head there, there is no end to end travel between campus. If you're at Bower everything you need is on that campus for you.

swifty

Established Member
Abus Spectra AP53BUS is back from repaint at SGBC and is now out of Tesco livery and into the new Abus swoop scheme. Hopefully they kind find time for Omnidekka BU54AJP soon!

matt_splat

Sounds like all is not well for Wessex

I gather the 511/2 506 and 508 have all been lost to CT Plus

also talk of the 16 going to another operator in September and also the X14 coming off.

leaves Avonmouth looking rather bare

carlberry

Established Member

also talk of the 16 going to another operator in September and also the X14 coming off.

I hadn't realised that CT Plus were still around! Perhaps the return of the bendis!!!!

BBC

So they have the one at and 8 min frequency and what else ? Seems unstastainable as first will push them out of that route sooner or later.

Also iv heard the 16 is moving, and maybe first have won it !

diffywood

according to south gloucestershire website

service 16 - First have served notice on the service as it has not proved to be commercially viable to operate. South Gloucestershire Council went out to tender for a like for like replacement, however tender prices received far exceeded the budget available, making the service untenable. The service is scheduled to cease from 30 April 2017.

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/transpo...hool-transport/buses/changes-to-bus-services/

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
according to south gloucestershire website

service 16 - First have served notice on the service as it has not proved to be commercially viable to operate. South Gloucestershire Council went out to tender for a like for like replacement, however tender prices received far exceeded the budget available, making the service untenable. The service is scheduled to cease from 30 April 2017.

http://www.southglos.gov.uk/transpo...hool-transport/buses/changes-to-bus-services/

Are we getting 16s mixed up? Assume we're talking about the 16 for Bristol University?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So they have the one at and 8 min frequency and what else ? Seems unstastainable as first will push them out of that route sooner or later.

Also iv heard the 16 is moving, and maybe first have won it !

They have the 51, of course. The X14 is dropped for the summer but you wonder if it will return.

The only other "major" route is the 505?

You can't deny; First have really done a job on Wessex in 3 years.

vicbury

Prediction time:

If Wessex doesn't pick up any Metrobus work, they'll be gone from or subject to a takeover in the West of England at the end of the 2017/18 academic year.

winston270twm

Established Member
They have the 51, of course. The X14 is dropped for the summer but you wonder if it will return.

The only other "major" route is the 505?

You can't deny; First have really done a job on Wessex in 3 years.

TGW,

Avonmouth also operates some of the Bicester work, that is being ramped up from April. They also seem to be getting invloved directly / indirectly via Hallmark in various rail replacement jobs.

As I said previously, I'm not sure the remaining UWE routes will be returning afte the summerterm.

A number of the ex Stagecoach London Scania Omnicity DD's have joined the Omnilinks at Hallmark (Heathrow). As have a couple of the VDL / Gemini's, 40203 being one & 40209 was working out of there, but has since appeared at Deepdale Rd, Preston in the last couple of days.

40209:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mjrprestonbus/33304710650/

Also, further Wessex buses are expected to transfer up to Diamond WM next month due to a significant increase in the number of TfWM tendered routes being operated from 23.4.17.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Are we getting 16s mixed up? Assume we're talking about the 16 for Bristol University?
you are right
Hmm. Now that Elton Road is one way - to buses as well as cars (hence First rerouted Service 9 journeys from Temple Meads via. University Road last year) - I sincerely doubt that CTPlus will try and use bendybuses on the 16 to Bristol University if they have any degree (pun intended - :lol:) of sense: to try and get a bendybus up University Road might prove to be a fail and a half. They wouldn't fit in the stop either.

CTP will have to get some more vehicles in but I wonder what.

Dave