• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darklord8899

Are there any photos of these Ex-LMC Geminis going about with the LCB vinyls on them?

I don't have any, the vinyl has only been applied to the front, on the area between the bottom of upper deck windows and top of windscreen. The rest of the front and vehicle still in LMC livery.... very odd looking...

Observer

So has anyone seen First do anything in regards to the X38 other than the zone change? No doubt they'll have some inspectors be watching the loads.

A330Alex

So has anyone seen First do anything in regards to the X38 other than the zone change? No doubt they'll have some inspectors be watching the loads.
I imagine they'll be waiting to see if passenger numbers pick up over the next few weeks. Only started yesterday after all.

Could see some petty timetable changes from both operators so that they're running a few minutes in front of each other.

lastbus

This is just odd, why is the route only running for one month? Are First planning more changes on the 25th January 2020? Also why is the bus only running from Shotts to Whitburn, surly it would have make more sense to extend the 22 down to shotts?
It’s a short notice registration maybe they have a plan to extend the service you mention in January.
Perhaps because it's council funded and just an emergency contract until a new permanent operator can be awarded the tender?

I agree though it would be nice to see the 22 extended.
According to the registration the route is commercial.

wlbusser

LCB got lots of Linlithgow Passengers then pick no one else up? going By Wlbusser, as expect the Winchburgh ppl are sticking with First for the cheaper/ better vaule tickets.
From what I saw it's likely A decent amount of linlithgow folk for both, but then in Winchburgh it was slightly First then Kirkliston it was slightly LCB.

That was one journey on the 2nd day of operation of the x38 at just before 9am so I don't know how accurate it'll be in the weeks and months ahead especially non peak times and generally throughout the day?

But definitely from a purely cost perspective and 7 vs 5 days travel First have the upper-hand in Winchburgh. If you need to use or will have any kind of use for lothian buses in Edinburgh and 5 days is enough then yeah lothian is a better option.

If people see Lothian as reliable and with good buses then they may switch (I'd have considered it if I could make it work for me) but like mentioned price is a factor and a full 7 days is something some may not be able to overlook

A330Alex

Just saw this rather busy X18 at West End. An LCB service that actually makes money? :lol:

An interesting mix of mTickets, contactless and cash.

Attachments

• 61FCB0BB-469D-4B30-A2A1-6CEAE84B6D50.jpeg
    61FCB0BB-469D-4B30-A2A1-6CEAE84B6D50.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Just saw this rather busy X18 at West End. An LCB service that actually makes money? :lol:

I'm not too surprised, i think it's generally been agreed on here for quite some time that the X18 is by far LCBs best idea and a route where First really missed the ball. Although it should be noted that not all those passengers are actually going outside the city!

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

I’m hardly surprised, I remember seeing an X17 fauldhouse bound a few months ago that was completely full

overthewater

Established Member
How many of these passengers are going into West Lothian? I've seen people towards the city limits,and the changes to the 100 will have pushed people onto these faster routes. IM NOT SAYING everyone on that bus is only going to Maybury.

wlbusser

When did First activate/start using the screens behind the driver on the streetlies? On a 38 right now and noticed it was on but showing a generic system thing, but it has now changed to showing an ad for Falkirk travel.

And as I write this it's restarted.

Oh and it may just be because its a Monday night (my work was dead/quiet all evening) but there's a grand total of 3 people + me on this 38. Its usually busier than this most nights even if it's only by a few more people.

Last edited:
When did First activate/start using the screens behind the driver on the streetlies? On a 38 right now and noticed it was on but showing a generic system thing, but it has now changed to showing an ad for Falkirk travel.

And as I write this it's restarted.
Sounds like that a 47xxx streetlite you’re on . They used them for the 3/4 service that used to serve the Falkirk wheel . A lot more could have been done with them but sadly nothing else

Weemidi135

How many of these passengers are going into West Lothian? I've seen people towards the city limits,and the changes to the 100 will have pushed people onto these faster routes. IM NOT SAYING everyone on that bus is only going to Maybury.

probably a good few for drumbrae maybury it usually is

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Sounds like that a 47xxx streetlite you’re on . They used them for the 3/4 service that used to serve the Falkirk wheel . A lot more could have been done with them but sadly nothing else

The 63xxx's have the screens fitted too, they're just not activated.

wlbusser

Only noticed it was a Falkirk liveried bus when I got off. First time I've seen them on and working (sort of), but I'm rarely in Falkirk let alone on a local bus.

Shame they're not used more, though I don't know what they can do beyond showing pictured ads?

gavin1985

So got on the X18 at Drumbrae roughly 7ish this morning, the bus looked pretty busy. A few of us were getting on as well. My destination was Newbridge, a couple stops made along the way to pick-up/drop-off another couple of passengers at the Airport junction and then Ratho, before a few of us got off at Newbridge. Seemed like a fair number of people were on the bus for West Lothian.
That being said, when walking along towards the car dealerships I saw both LC and First 38's Edinburgh bound, both of which were almost full. It seemed to be a tie from what I seen.

What I did like about the timetable changes and addtional service in the X38 was giving me better options for a Lothian bus heading back to Edinburgh when I finish at 330pm. Looking at the timetables, I have 3 options in the X18, 275 and X38, in which are a few minutes between them, good to know that if I miss one I don't have long to wait for the next one. All of which are perfect for me jumping onto the Tram at Gogarburn.

wlbusser

What I did like about the timetable changes and addtional service in the X38 was giving me better options for a Lothian bus heading back to Edinburgh when I finish at 330pm. Looking at the timetables, I have 3 options in the X18, 275 and X38, in which are a few minutes between them, good to know that if I miss one I don't have long to wait for the next one. All of which are perfect for me jumping onto the Tram at Gogarburn.
This is similar for me. Even if I'm sticking with First for now, with the x38 I have more options for getting about if I need to especially at night. The last x38 is 2341 from where I'd get it at Shandwick place whereas the last First 38 is 2254 so were I to miss it I could get home without having to grab a bus to Ratho station then connect with the 600.

Also just having more buses is useful when the need to be somewhere is more important than the bus I use even if It means foregoing my weekly first ticket and paying for an LCB x38.

LiviCrazy

I know a lot of the discussion on here is about the weekly and monthly tickets, but I have to note something I observe on the First services. A lot of people simply buy returns, which often makes the return journey much cheaper by First.

Could Lothian not at least offer return fares on their LCBs? Most other operators offer them.

gavin1985

I know a lot of the discussion on here is about the weekly and monthly tickets, but I have to note something I observe on the First services. A lot of people simply buy returns, which often makes the return journey much cheaper by First.

Could Lothian not at least offer return fares on their LCBs? Most other operators offer them.

As far as I am aware the only Lothian transport that offers return is the Tram at the kiosk and any trip on bus/Tram to/from the airport.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

LCB do offer a return ticket exclusively on the X38 for £7

Darklord8899

As far as I am aware the only Lothian transport that offers return is the Tram at the kiosk and any trip on bus/Tram to/from the airport.

You can get open return tickets to the Airport on Airlink and Skylink services (valid on any of those services and also on the N22)

Weemidi135

And that’ll be why first have rezoned Zone L so the day ticket is on the app at £7

but if you look at it pay the extra 50P and you also have all day travel in and around Edinburgh I know people say oh but they don’t want that etc but wouldn’t be that in the harsh winters

Observer

Could have been better just getting the front and rear quickly painted up, and then do the rest when time permits.

Journeyman

Established Member
but if you look at it pay the extra 50P and you also have all day travel in and around Edinburgh I know people say oh but they don’t want that etc but wouldn’t be that in the harsh winters

I'm in Winchburgh. The £7.50 Lothian day ticket is great value for flexibility and being able to travel around on the very large bus/tram network in Edinburgh. The vehicles on the X38 are also far nicer.

I'm avoiding First from now on!

Status
Not open for further replies.