• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Lothian buses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Just wondering how much a refurbish to the standards that Lothian and Lothian Country would have cost .
the X38 vehicles only got new seats + a repaint which is less than the ex-Londoers which got a full external and interal refurb so varies depending on the job. im not sure of how much it would cost though

Weemidi135

the X38 vehicles only got new seats + a repaint which is less than the ex-Londoers which got a full external and interal refurb so varies depending on the job. im not sure of how much it would cost though

Let’s not forget the euro 6 engine upgrade either

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I like it.
Come on, it is awful! It looks really cheap and nasty.
I actually quite Like it too, doesn’t look as bad as everyone that dislikes it is making it out to be. It’s only there for flexibility reasons at the end of the day. I’m sure the passengers travelling on it honestly wouldn’t care, it’ll also help those that want to double check it’s defo their bus. Long term it may change but in the short term it’s there to do a simple job.

Whereas with the X38 these B7RLE’s are LC vehicles and the branding is just lazy and actually difficult to see and understand. With the X38’s there may as well be no route branding at all.

wlbusser

Just seen an x17 with X38 branded bus heading through Broxburn, the only reason I took notice was because of the branding otherwise it'd have been just some LCB passing the 600 I'm on.

The more I see that branding the more I dislike it, I see no need for it and it spoils an otherwise OK livery. Hope they get rid eventually and don't extend it to other services within LCB.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Just seen an x17 with X38 branded bus heading through Broxburn, the only reason I took notice was because of the branding otherwise it'd have been just some LCB passing the 600 I'm on.

The more I see that branding the more I dislike it, I see no need for it and it spoils an otherwise OK livery. Hope they get rid eventually and don't extend it to other services within LCB.

Aww I was actually looking forward to seeing it on the 43 :lol:

wlbusser

Overhearing that someone got the x38 twice from Winchburgh and it was dead, but it's busy in the morning according to the driver plus heard them saying the x38 was quick and comfy.

overthewater

Established Member
I saw a few X38 and 38 and there nothing to shout home about. Most I say on either was 5 and its very hard to tell where those people got on. It must be noted, that weekdays Off peak - the route was never setting the heather alight, but if you only operated it every 30mins you could get a near full bus and that was being generous.

Journeyman

Established Member
Overhearing that someone got the x38 twice from Winchburgh and it was dead, but it's busy in the morning according to the driver plus heard them saying the x38 was quick and comfy.
I saw a few X38 and 38 and there nothing to shout home about. Most I say on either was 5 and its very hard to tell where those people got on. It must be noted, that weekdays Off peak - the route was never setting the heather alight, but if you only operated it every 30mins you could get a near full bus and that was being generous.

Here we go, just a couple of days in and people are slagging it off already.

I've seen reasonable loads on several of them, First aren't really doing any better anyway.

On another note, had a 38 driver have a go at me. Waiting at Haymarket and along comes a 25 stopping with 38 behind it so I waited as a few drivers will point me to the actual stop and only let me on when they pull up to it. Said 38 driver didn't and just pulled out, then was like "I was at the stop".

Its only in Edinburgh this awful rule appeals and slows down the buses.
Of course with the journeys extending such a long way, First's 38 is not a proper Edinburgh service. Hence neither drivers nor passengers know what to do. This type of confusing customer interface is one reason why the non-Lothian services don't tend to succeed in Edinburgh.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder to be polite.

Also if anyone thinks any post breaks forum rules, please do not reply to it or refer to it on the forum in any way. Instead simply click the report button and let us know the details. Thanks :)

Stopper

I'm in Winchburgh. The £7.50 Lothian day ticket is great value for flexibility and being able to travel around on the very large bus/tram network in Edinburgh. The vehicles on the X38 are also far nicer.

I'm avoiding First from now on!

Same goes for Linlithgow. Everyone I know in Linlithgow and Winchburgh wants to avoid First as the quality is simply abysmal.

Buying a day ticket on the EX2 or the X38 means I can go on any tram or bus in Edinburgh without having to worry about paying again. The quality on both the EX2 and the X38 is light years ahead of First’s woeful 38 bus.

I wouldn’t worry about First fans writing off the X38 already, they did the same with the now successful EX2. The X38s I’ve seen have been busier than any 38 I’ve been on recently, and peak loads on the EX2 blow both out of the water.

Journeyman

Established Member
Same goes for Linlithgow. Everyone I know in Linlithgow and Winchburgh wants to avoid First as the quality is simply abysmal.

Buying a day ticket on the EX2 or the X38 means I can go on any tram or bus in Edinburgh without having to worry about paying again. The quality on both the EX2 and the X38 is light years ahead of First’s woeful 38 bus.

I wouldn’t worry about First fans writing off the X38 already, they did the same with the now successful EX2. The X38s I’ve seen have been busier than any 38 I’ve been on recently, and peak loads on the EX2 blow both out of the water.

I was on another X38 earlier. I was the only person on board when I got on in Winchburgh, but before long it had picked up a pretty respectable load for an off-peak journey, particularly in Kirkliston.

I've long suffered the 38 because I have to, but getting another ticket for travel within Edinburgh was a pain, and the buses are grim, especially if one of the older ones shows up. I'm really glad to now have genuine choice that works better for my preferences and needs. Access to a big network at reasonable cost is a big part of that - now that First has contracted so much, you can't really reach many parts of the city on their tickets.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EX2 is stealing passengers from ScotRail too, especially RBS staff and/or those who live in Springfield.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I don't really say anyone "writing off" or "Slagging" the X38 (well other than it's route branding which most people seem to agree is dreadful). All that's been stated really is that outside the peak period neither service are busy at all and during the peaks they both carry similar loads with no real "winner".

As for the EX2 it's hardly busy off peak so people were not wrong to write if off. I've always said there will probably be demand in the peaks for it however off peak Linlithgow isn't big enough to sustain a direct half hourly express service. Besides people wrote off the EX1 and it seems they were spot on...

Journeyman

Established Member
(well other than it's route branding which most people seem to agree is dreadful). All that's been stated really is that outside the peak period neither service are busy at all and during the peaks they both carry similar loads with no real "winner".

Moaning about the route branding does seem a bit like clutching at straws. Personally I have no issue with it at all. I think the livery is smart, and it's a real treat to finally have clean and well-maintained buses after the junk First throw out.

It's also FAR too early to speculate on whether the route will be successful. Winchburgh is expanding rapidly, so that will begin to increase demand for public transport, especially as a lot of people who live there commute to Edinburgh regularly.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Moaning about the route branding does seem a bit like clutching at straws. Personally I have no issue with it at all. I think the livery is smart, and it's a real treat to finally have clean and well-maintained buses after the junk First throw out.

I mean it's pretty clear what side you're on. I'm not taking sides, i've long said the 38 is very poor but i don't expect the X38 to dominate either. Moaning about the route branding isn't "clutching at the straws" it's simply an opinion (that seems to be shared by most people), you don't have to agree with it, that's your prerogative.

It's also FAR too early to speculate on whether the route will be successful. Winchburgh is expanding rapidly, so that will begin to increase demand for public transport, especially as a lot of people who live there commute to Edinburgh regularly.

I would agree, but as i say at least short term i can't see either First or LCB making any significant gains. Truth be told we need to wait to see how and if First retaliate further and what impact that has. It'll be quite some time before we really know what's going to happen (unless one pulls out), the fear i'd have is that if First were to pull the 38 east of Linlithgow then the level of service would be much poorer than it was prior to the war with passengers being forced to switch buses/operators at Linlithgow, this would do neither company any real favours, especially given that Lothian will be fairly reluctant to extend the 38 or EX2 further west.

If you look at the main West Lothian region both operators are holding their own, with no clear winner. There are sections / areas where one does better than the other but as a whole neither have made any "final punches", although i do think certain corridors are over saturated with buses and it shows. (23/X23 vs X27/X28 for example). In short Lothian have had some degrees of success while First (who many thought would just sell up) have in the reality held up strong.

It's certainly an interesting war and i can't see either operator pulling out anytime soon.

Journeyman

Established Member
Full disclosure - yeah, I'm biased, and I want First to fail. I worked in the offices in Larbert a few years ago and it was an absolutely hellish experience. I suffered intolerable workplace bullying and victimisation and was forced to leave after four months. I wasn't the only one, it was rife at the time.

I've found it very hard to forgive them for that, and I'm glad I don't have to use their services any more.

That said, I do think that X38 standards are higher and the ticketing works better for me, so in trying to be objective (which admittedly is quite hard) I do think they're better.

I appreciate it's probably not in anyone's interest for First to fail either - it's the people on the front line and the punters that will suffer.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That said, I do think that X38 standards are higher and the ticketing works better for me, so in trying to be objective (which admittedly is quite hard) I do think they're better.

I appreciate it's probably not in anyone's interest for First to fail either - it's the people on the front line and the punters that will suffer.

Not going to dispute that at all, the X38 is a higher quality offering. It's the same when you compare the X27/X28 (albeit the routeing is poor) to the 23/X23, as for ticketing i think you and most will agree that in the end it really comes to what each person needs. For some First's day tickets are better, for others Lothians are better. It all comes down to the needs of each passenger.

Cartaker

LC have made a big splash about their M Ticket bundles which appear to offer great value, but can anyone explain to me why they are not valid on the EX2 buses? What is the point of introducing a decent fare system that has exclusions.

A330Alex

LC have made a big splash about their M Ticket bundles which appear to offer great value, but can anyone explain to me why they are not valid on the EX2 buses? What is the point of introducing a decent fare system that has exclusions.
I imagine that's because the initial plan was likely to make 'Green Arrow Express' more of a separate brand with several routes rather than just another LCB service. If plans for other EX services are scrapped I could see the ticketing standardised, especially with the X38 now. (Perhaps why separate pricing isn't mentioned in the network guide?)

Cartaker

I imagine that's because the initial plan was likely to make 'Green Arrow Express' more of a separate brand with several routes rather than just another LCB service. If plans for other EX services are scrapped I could see the ticketing standardised, especially with the X38 now. (Perhaps why separate pricing isn't mentioned in the network guide?)
Doesn't make it easy for people like me whose return journey is after the last EX2 bus. A single in on the EX2 and a single back on the X38 is still poor value against the train.

Stopper

I was on another X38 earlier. I was the only person on board when I got on in Winchburgh, but before long it had picked up a pretty respectable load for an off-peak journey, particularly in Kirkliston.

I've long suffered the 38 because I have to, but getting another ticket for travel within Edinburgh was a pain, and the buses are grim, especially if one of the older ones shows up. I'm really glad to now have genuine choice that works better for my preferences and needs. Access to a big network at reasonable cost is a big part of that - now that First has contracted so much, you can't really reach many parts of the city on their tickets.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EX2 is stealing passengers from ScotRail too, especially RBS staff and/or those who live in Springfield.

The EX2 picks up the majority of its loadings from Springfield and seems to drop around half of them off at Gogarburn. ScotRail and First have been pretty abysmal in Linlithgow so it’s no surprise to see locals rushing to Lothian Buses.

I don't really say anyone "writing off" or "Slagging" the X38 (well other than it's route branding which most people seem to agree is dreadful). All that's been stated really is that outside the peak period neither service are busy at all and during the peaks they both carry similar loads with no real "winner".

As for the EX2 it's hardly busy off peak so people were not wrong to write if off. I've always said there will probably be demand in the peaks for it however off peak Linlithgow isn't big enough to sustain a direct half hourly express service. Besides people wrote off the EX1 and it seems they were spot on...

Nothing out of Linlithgow is going to be packed off peak. The trains aren’t, the 38 and other buses aren’t, so to judge the EX2 on that is hugely unfair. People wrote off the EX1 and the EX2 instantly regardless of what was going to happen and now are taking some sort of moral victory from the EX1 being discontinued. The EX2 couldn’t be further from that stage at the moment and I’ve heard whispers from Lothian that loads picked up far quicker than they expected. The X38 has just started and is already matching First 38 loads between Linlithgow and Edinburgh off peak. The facts are Lothian are just far superior in terms of their buses and the quality of travel.

Cartaker

I wonder if Lothian are trying to get the EX2 to fail because of their stupid pricing structure. On a Thursday night I usually meet an old friend on the homebound EX2 who has been using the EX2 since it started. I texted him tonight to find out why he was not on the bus. He explained that the EX38 will be his bus of choice from now on as he gets unlimited day travel for £4.75 compared with the EX2 at £9. A £20 a week saving is going to make a lot of people think twice. A ten minute faster journey against a £4 plus saving

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Hogmanay buses have been announced!

H38/H43 and a H28 to Deans and a HX18 to Armadale

Also ECB have the HX5 to North Berwick and the H104 to Haddington with a H106 to connect with Dunbar residents in Haddington

LiviCrazy

Interesting Tweet from First today. Looks like they aren’t giving up any time soon.

“WE ARE RECRUITING - rapid expansion plus new route launches mean Bright Bus Tours & First West Lothian are looking for trainee & experienced bus drivers. Join our dynamic & engaged workforce. PCV Licence holders get £1,975 welcome (T&Cs apply). Please RT bit.ly/BrightBus_Firs…”

Status
Not open for further replies.