• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Trains Timetable for Coventry - Leamington.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tnxrail

Any ideas of what on it, should be West Midlands Trains on that date.

A Challenge

Established Member
Why are none of them showing as passenger calls (not even at Leamington Spa/Coventry)?

HLE

Established Member
Will be a 153 and worked by Leamington men by all accounts.

Which is unusual as it’s a small depot compared to Coventry and they don’t sign 153’s as far as I know. Unless they/Birmingham will do the ECS move to and from Tyseley to Leamington and taxi the Coventry crew to Leam in the morning.

Either way, I cannot see this service running on the first day it’s in RTT. Everything appears to be up in the air still so it’s unlikely to start in December

Kite159

Veteran Member

trains2064

Could the service not be joined and run Nuneaton to Leaminton?
Coventry Station is at the moment to busy to allow this to happen in the peak. It will I'm sure happen at some points though the is talk of the service becoming Leamington (maybe further south) to Walsall via the airport but not New Street. I think we just need to see how it develops.

trains2064

Will be a 153 and worked by Leamington men by all accounts.

Which is unusual as it’s a small depot compared to Coventry and they don’t sign 153’s as far as I know. Unless they/Birmingham will do the ECS move to and from Tyseley to Leamington and taxi the Coventry crew to Leam in the morning.

Either way, I cannot see this service running on the first day it’s in RTT. Everything appears to be up in the air still so it’s unlikely to start in December

I think it depends on the long turn plans. Will Leamington to Nuneaton be West Midlands Rail or London North Western. If it's the former Leamington depot would be favourite. If the latter then Coventry. It is meant to be 172's in the medium term i.e. December 18 (ex LOR) and also Nuckle 3 project is Leamington to Stratford. This could mean that the 4 Chiltern 172's transfer.

Keep 1 172's for Coventry to Nuneaton and 3 to maintain a hourly Stratford to Nuneaton. Which could be split at Coventry in the peak.

Leamington depot would be best located for this.

ChrisHogan

I think it depends on the long turn plans. Will Leamington to Nuneaton be West Midlands Rail or London North Western. If it's the former Leamington depot would be favourite. If the latter then Coventry. It is meant to be 172's in the medium term i.e. December 18 (ex LOR) and also Nuckle 3 project is Leamington to Stratford. This could mean that the 4 Chiltern 172's transfer.

Keep 1 172's for Coventry to Nuneaton and 3 to maintain a hourly Stratford to Nuneaton. Which could be split at Coventry in the peak.

Leamington depot would be best located for this.
Coventry-Nuneaton is WMR. The only LNWR diesel operation will be Bedford-Bletchley.

trains2064

We all know what the railway is like but from a few things a heard this week is it’s still not set in stone.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Coventry Station is at the moment to busy to allow this to happen in the peak. It will I'm sure happen at some points though the is talk of the service becoming Leamington (maybe further south) to Walsall via the airport but not New Street. I think we just need to see how it develops.

Nope, you cannot do it at all during the day. The Walsall idea was based on it being wired which will not be any time soon.

trains2064

Must be a new franchise idea then as originally it was based on electrics.
No it started as a 170 back in 2012/13 when the service was being talked about. I was to maybe been taken over by an electric when such time as Leamington to Coventry was done.

HLE

Established Member
The Nuneaton branch won’t be worked by Leamington depot, it’s a lot smaller and they don’t have traction or route knowledge.

If the services do end up being joined into one through service it will be a Cov job. But with the investment into the new bay at Coventry and the work needed to make this happen I can’t see a through service running anytime soon.

trains2064

The Nuneaton branch won’t be worked by Leamington depot, it’s a lot smaller and they don’t have traction or route knowledge.

If the services do end up being joined into one through service it will be a Cov job. But with the investment into the new bay at Coventry and the work needed to make this happen I can’t see a through service running anytime soon.

West Midland Rail have already published that they will be running some services as Leamington to Nuneaton. My guess not before December 2018.
Coventry depot might be LNWR or all electric. Leamington might be all diesel depot. The timings from December 17 already suggest this. The will be an extra 1 or 2 per hour on Saturday Cov to Nun from December 18.

The Planner

Veteran Member
No it started as a 170 back in 2012/13 when the service was being talked about. I was to maybe been taken over by an electric when such time as Leamington to Coventry was done.
Interesting as no one has ever suggested that in NR.

The Planner

Veteran Member
West Midland Rail have already published that they will be running some services as Leamington to Nuneaton. My guess not before December 2018.
Coventry depot might be LNWR or all electric. Leamington might be all diesel depot. The timings from December 17 already suggest this. The will be an extra 1 or 2 per hour on Saturday Cov to Nun from December 18.

It needs a recast of the Cov corridor before you can get across the station.

trains2064

Interesting as no one has ever suggested that in NR.
The 2 references I’ve seen over the year were a meeting which predates 172’s as it takes about 150’s. It was basically that LM wanted to run the Walsall to Leamington service as a 150. Network Rail said it had to be a 170 due to capacity issues on Coventry Line.
The other reference was in the bid document for Kenilworth Station where it talks about services again reference is made to 170’s and Walsall but this also talks about extending to Banbury and Oxford.
We all know the Cherwell valley lines are overcrowded but I think this part is now being catered for with the plans in next XC Francise to run more of its services via the airport and not Solihull. Doesn’t help the overcrowding but gives the South another service to the airport.

trains2064

Nothing can happen before December 18 when the timetable is due it’s next shake up. But then it will probably be evening and weekends that might change as far as leamington to Nuneaton is concerned.
The long overdue HS2 will lead to a little extra capacity on west coast mainline which will benefit local services.

HLE

Established Member

Can’t see that happening tbh. Better connection times would be more useful but whether that’s possible is another ball game.

HLE

Established Member

Leamington depot was all but ready to close a few years ago, with driver numbers reportedly in single figures. Despite various recruitment drives and staff being offered to change depots it’s still small, micro in fact.

They won’t be signing the Nuneaton branch anytime soon.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The 2 references I’ve seen over the year were a meeting which predates 172’s as it takes about 150’s. It was basically that LM wanted to run the Walsall to Leamington service as a 150. Network Rail said it had to be a 170 due to capacity issues on Coventry Line.
The other reference was in the bid document for Kenilworth Station where it talks about services again reference is made to 170’s and Walsall but this also talks about extending to Banbury and Oxford.
We all know the Cherwell valley lines are overcrowded but I think this part is now being catered for with the plans in next XC Francise to run more of its services via the airport and not Solihull. Doesn’t help the overcrowding but gives the South another service to the airport.

A 170 would be no better as they accelerate like 3 legged dogs. The FOCs also wouldn't allow the hourly path to be taken from Stechford. XC going via the airport with both does not work SX until you double Kenilworth to Milverton Jn so they won't get that soon either and that is done so people from the East Mids get direct access to the airport. The end game is to get Leamington to Leicester direct services.

HLE

Established Member
Indeed they do. And it’s very unlikely they’ll ever see either branch again.

172’s in December for the new Kenilworth service then.....meanwhile the Nuneatons will remain a 153 until the LO cascade.

Status
Not open for further replies.