• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Western Greyhound Fire and subsequent WG general discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Where's the announcement from the buyer got to ?

My understanding was that it was 'imminent' about Wednesday. Either last minute fine-tuning, or it's fallen through ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
Where's the announcement from the buyer got to ?

My understanding was that it was 'imminent' about Wednesday. Either last minute fine-tuning, or it's fallen through ?

Not completed but looking promising from the driver I was speaking to on Friday.

theblackwatch

Established Member
'Route One' has published another update at http://www.route-one.net/industry/w...ail&utm_term=0_584b65a2d5-cfc15bc8d6-98973253

Embattled Western Greyhound is facing a fresh challenge, with rival First adding new services on its key corridors.

The Cornish operator, which has been beset by severe operational difficulties following the resignation of driving and workshop staff, is currently cancelling 23 evening services on six routes due to lack of resources.

The issues that have afflicted Western Greyhound since this summer saw its owners – MD Mark Howarth, his wife Mari and Robin Orbell – put the company up for sale via asset consultants ES Group (routeone, News, 19 November).

Western Greyhound’s growth over the last decade has been in part thanks to the poor performance of loss-making rival First Devon & Cornwall. However, with new MD Alex Carter at the helm, the reinvigorated operation, re-branded First Kernow, has confirmed plans to further expand its network.

Not good when you seem to be permanently cancelling services...

matt_splat

interesting I have heard the whole lot is going to some one that isn't a major group I suppose there are lots of things being said at the moment which may or may not be true we will only know once an announcement is made

richw

Veteran Member
The Liskeard operations are going to Plymouth Citybus.

A driver I was talking with said that First were taking on and registering a number of the western routes as a co-operation with the company looking to buy WG, as the perspective buyer only wants the East Cornwall operations of WG.

A driver I was talking with said that First were taking on and registering a number of the western routes as a co-operation with the company looking to buy WG, as the perspective buyer only wants the East Cornwall operations of WG.

First aren't Registering anything in cooperation with anyone else. go Ahead are buying the Liskeard operation, and the owner of Black Velvet is buying the remainder. First are doing their own thing entirely and have now registered pretty much every commercial corridor in the West.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
First aren't Registering anything in cooperation with anyone else. go Ahead are buying the Liskeard operation, and the owner of Black Velvet is buying the remainder. First are doing their own thing entirely and have now registered pretty much every commercial corridor in the West.

Yes, that has been my understanding all along.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

If that were so, the competition authorities would be likely to get involved, not a scenario First would welcome, I'd have thought.

richw

Veteran Member

As I said it was told to me by a driver. Shouldn't need to say buy not necessarily the most reliable source, although probably a bit in the know.

455driver

Veteran Member
I very much doubt if there is any collusion, each company will only be interested in the WG routes that are convenient for their current depots and routes (for example, PCB wont be interested in anything in Penzance) and so no collusion required.

Temple Meads

Established Member
(for example, PCB wont be interested in anything in Penzance)

They wouldn't find much WGL stuff in Penzance any more even if they wanted to, since the council cutbacks in November last year there's only been the (summer) one journey only 547 ;)

/pedant mode off

Busaholic

Veteran Member
They wouldn't find much WGL stuff in Penzance any more even if they wanted to, since the council cutbacks in November last year there's only been the (summer) one journey only 547 ;)

/pedant mode off

And the Routemaster I spotted twice last Sunday in the St Erth area, its ownership disguised by the dastardly trick of having it painted in London Transport colours complete with a side blind (at least) for the 22 Putney route- or this privately owned by Mark Howarth rather than WG?;)

winston270twm

Established Member

Who are Black Velvet?

The Velvet in Southampton that were recently taken over by Buses Excetera?

Volvodart

Established Member
The guy who bought Velvet Buses was reported to have ceased be involved in the running of Buses Excetera, although he may still be a part owner

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
And the Routemaster I spotted twice last Sunday in the St Erth area, its ownership disguised by the dastardly trick of having it painted in London Transport colours complete with a side blind (at least) for the 22 Putney route- or this privately owned by Mark Howarth rather than WG?;)

I believe all of the heritage vehicles are in private ownership of mark.

SWTH

Any idea which Routemaster it was? None of Mark Howarths RMs (1062, 2737 and RMA11) show as taxed at the moment, and weren't roadworthy when I last saw them. I would suggest the RM you saw is more likely to be an RM that is based in Falmouth, though I can't remember its identity off hand.

richw

Veteran Member
Any idea which Routemaster it was? None of Mark Howarths RMs (1062, 2737 and RMA11) show as taxed at the moment, and weren't roadworthy when I last saw them. I would suggest the RM you saw is more likely to be an RM that is based in Falmouth, though I can't remember its identity off hand.

Ots have CUV290C, it has an advert for some dancing girls on the front next to the route display blind.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

No, sorry, I was driving on the A30 and only saw it side-on. It was an RML, though, so, if one of Mr Howarth's, could only have been 2737. It was in the Lamb and Flag car park and a bunch of roughly 30 year old women were heading towards it, all dressed up, so some sort of hen afternoon?!

DaveHarries

Established Member
I think the formal announcement is timed for Monday.
Posted on another forum:

"Hi All

I have just come through Milehouse lights passing PCB 202 showing 593 on the rear blind. As this about the correct time for the 593 I presume that is the service it was working. 2 Western Greyhounds passed on the way into town going in the oppsite direction but dark so unable to observe numbers."

to which one reply was:

"Not seen anything official yet but it has been suggested that Go-Ahead subsidiary Plymouth Citybus have acquired the Liskeard operations of Western Greyhound, don't know if any buses are part of the deal. Assume some may run 'On hire' to PCB?"

and another:

"I too have been waiting for the official news release but a driver has confirmed that they have brought the Liskeard operations with 9 buses:

citybus have brought 9 optares from WG these being 701/2/3/4 mini optares and 957 959 960 961 & 962

Apparently Enviros will be used on 576 with the Solos for everything else, at least to begin with."

and also:

"I have heard that Go Ahead have taken over the Liskeard area services from midnight last night, along with 9 Solos. Some buses will have to run 'on hire' until the service registration are changed."

Those messages all posted today (07th December 2014) so that may be an indication as to at least some of WGL's operations. Those messages were all posted to the uk-bus-southwest group on Yahoo!

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Well,that certainly inspires me with no confidence whatsoever in WG's future The thing about a defendant pleading guilty, so avoiding a trial, is that the derence lawyer can spout a lot of unchallengeable tosh (a legal term:lol:) in mitigation, which then gets reported as though it were fact (not that I am inferring such a thing in this case, m'lud).

Volvodart

Established Member
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Ply...yhound-south/story-25405443-detail/story.html
Plymouth Citybus buys Western Greyhound in south east Cornwall

By Plymouth Herald | Posted: December 08, 2014

Plymouth Citybus has acquired vital Western Greyhound bus services in the Liskeard area.

It will take over todya, Monday, in South East Cornwall, safeguarding 31 bus driving jobs in the area, and continuing to run the Western Greyhound timetables that are currently in place.

Plymouth Citybus, part of the national transport group Go-Ahead, will take on services previously run by Western Greyhound in and around the Liskeard area.

That includes the 572 between Looe and Plymouth, the 573 between Looe and Liskeard, the 574 between Liskeard and Callington and the 576 between Plymouth and Bude, via Callington and Launceston.

It will also run the section of service 593 between Plymouth and Liskeard.

Western Greyhound will continue to run the 593 between Newquay and Liskeard and through tickets will continue to be available.

Plymouth Citybus intends to take over the lease of the depot off Culverwood Road in Liskeard, along with acquiring nine low-floor buses which will be branded under the new name of ‘Go Cornwall Bus’.

Plymouth Citybus currently run a fleet of 180 buses in Plymouth and its travel to work area, carrying in excess of 16.3 million passengers a year.

Richard Stevens Managing Director at Plymouth Citybus said "We are really delighted to be able to come to an agreement with Western Greyhound to take over these routes and safeguard not only 31 local jobs, but securing vital bus services in South East Cornwall. We have a wealth of experience of running buses in the area and have this year started providing services to The Rame peninsular and into Liskeard, complementing our service between Callington and Tavistock. I would like to personally welcome the staff into the Citybus family and assure them that they are in good hands."

Mark Howarth Director at Western Greyhound said "We recently put Western Greyhound up for sale and we believe that the deal with Plymouth CityBus for the Liskeard area represents good value for both our employees and for bus users.

"We started our first operations in south east Cornwall in August 2004, stepping in when DAC closed down their operations there, and stepped in again when local bus operator Phil Hambley of Pelynt retired.

"Frequencies have been steadily increased with through services introduced between the Cornish resort of Newquay and Plymouth, and more recently increasing the peak-hour frequency between Liskeard and Plymouth to half-hourly.

"A network based on connections at Liskeard was developed together with integrated ticketing with First Great Western trains on the Looe Valley corridor. I am delighted that Plymouth CityBus will be able to take this network to the next phase of its development.

"I would like to publicly thank all our staff who have worked so hard under often extremely difficult circumstances, and I would like to thank the public for their loyal support over the past 10 years.”

Although Western Greyhound has had a number of difficulties in recent months, mainly as a result of two arson attacks, it was for many years an award winning company winning national awards for high quality year after year.

Mark Howarth added, “The Company still continues in discussions with interested parties for the rest of the business and an announcement will be made in due course.”

The current services will remain and fares and times will continue unchanged from Monday. Plymouth CityBus will continue to honour all Western Greyhound weekly and season tickets until their expiry and both CityBus and Greyhound wish to make this change as easy and seamless as possible.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Aren't newspapers great at reproducing press releases as their own work, even down to misspellings!

DaveHarries

Established Member
I had to get a 576 from Plymouth to Bude this afternoon: hideous timekeeping. Should have left Plymouth (Royal Parade) at 15:13 and arrived into Bude (Strand) at 17:00 but instead left Royal Parade at 15:27 and didn't arrive at Bude (The Strand) until 17:30. Problems with a badly parked car at Kelly Bray, some tight turns when calling at Callington Community College (I think it was) and other factors - including tight squeezes and a bus that was, IMO, too big for the route, didn't help matters.

PCB's WA08 LDN was the vehicle.

Dave

freetoview33

Established Member
I had to get a 576 from Plymouth to Bude this afternoon: hideous timekeeping. Should have left Plymouth (Royal Parade) at 15:13 and arrived into Bude (Strand) at 17:00 but instead left Royal Parade at 15:27 and didn't arrive at Bude (The Strand) until 17:30. Problems with a badly parked car at Kelly Bray, some tight turns when calling at Callington Community College (I think it was) and other factors - including tight squeezes and a bus that was, IMO, too big for the route, didn't help matters.

PCB's WA08 LDN was the vehicle.

Dave

I think issues like this will be addressed in time

Status
Not open for further replies.