• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Western Greyhound Fire and subsequent WG general discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Just seen on western greyhound facebook that a fire at their depot has destroyed 37 of their buses at 1 am. Approximately 1/3 of their fleet. no formal source to link to as yet.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
From BBC News

BBC said:
Summercourt depot fire destroys 37 buses in Western Greyhound fleet

A fire at a bus depot in Cornwall has destroyed at least 37 buses - a third of bus firm Western Greyhound's fleet. The fire in Summercourt, near Newquay, broke out at about 01:00 BST. The blaze is expected to cause widespread disruption to bus services in mid-Cornwall, including some school buses. Its cause, which is not yet known, is being jointly investigated by Devon and Cornwall Police and Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service. The police said the A3058 Newquay to St Austell Road would remain closed for most of the day.

Western Greyhound has been operating buses in Cornwall and Devon since 1998. It describes itself as a "locally-based, family-run business."

richw

Veteran Member
Cheers eagle. That BBC article is word for word exactly western greyhounds facebook page status!

83G/84D

Established Member
Local radio saying that Truro Park & Ride operating albeit with replacement vehicles suggesting the Mercedes Citaro's were affected. Major disruption all day to services.

Knowing the depot layout and from radio reports it seems that vehicles parked outside and side by side were affected. Fire brigade say that initially 9 vehicles affected when they arrived just after 1am but assisted by strong winds and close proximity of other buses it quickly spread.

It took around 3 hours to put the fire out.

richw

Veteran Member
From what I gather all vehicles stored at Summercourt depot have been destroyed or heavily damaged. Western Greyhound have many outstation depots though all round Cornwall, which see a lot of buses stored overnight all round the county. The park and Ride Mercedes are normally stored at Summercourt.

SWTH

Summercourt is normally home to all the double deckers apart from two at Hayle outstation, all six P&R Citaros, at least five Solo SR's, and a couple of dozen older Solos and Varios. VR 259 was also parked there, though the other heritage fleet vehicles are usually parked off-site at a private storage location.

Looking at the photos online it looks like the double deckers and Citaros bore the brunt of the fire.

I was supposed to book on at 1448 for my first shift back after a couple of weeks holiday - guess that's all to cock now. Will probably go in around 1100 and see what is happening.

robertclark125

Established Member
Let's hope that Western Greyhound can source replacement vehicles quickly, and let's also not jump to conclusions about what caused the fire.

We should also be thankful there have been no fatalities.

CC 72100

Established Member
Summercourt is normally home to all the double deckers apart from two at Hayle outstation, all six P&R Citaros, at least five Solo SR's, and a couple of dozen older Solos and Varios. VR 259 was also parked there, though the other heritage fleet vehicles are usually parked off-site at a private storage location.

Looking at the photos online it looks like the double deckers and Citaros bore the brunt of the fire.

I was supposed to book on at 1448 for my first shift back after a couple of weeks holiday - guess that's all to cock now. Will probably go in around 1100 and see what is happening.

I've seen a decker out this morning - an R reg one on the 510 (?). Passed Exeter St Davids 10 minutes or so ago.

Flamingo

Established Member

Good luck!

anthony263

Established Member
Seems some of the other operators are stepping in by covering some of Western Greyhounds services or loaning vehicles to the company.

Nice to see the bus operators banding together to help out one of their own especially when it affects a family run business like Western Greyhound.

CC 72100

Established Member
Of course - forgot about the one based at Launceston outstation for the 510.

Yep, tends to be that one or WK58 EAC, the Enviro decker that I've got a model of on my desk :p

Hope work goes as best as it can in the circumstances!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Seems some of the other operators are stepping in by covering some of Western Greyhounds services or loaning vehicles to the company.

Nice to see the bus operators banding together to help out one of their own especially when it affects a family run business like Western Greyhound.

I'm glad to hear this - Western Greyhound are a company I have huge admiration for, making services work in a county that others gave up on. A disaster of this magnitude is something nobody deserves, and I hope they are able to recover as soon as possible.

Listening to BBC Radio Cornwall it sounds like 4 out of the 6 Citaros used on the Truro Park & Ride have been destroyed. Sad to hear that this has happened to WG, they always provide a quality service. The 510 and 599 to Exeter are apparently running normally, just saw a Solo heading to Exeter

Goldfish62

Established Member
Extremely sad news, especially as it seems the newest buses bore the brunt.

Hard to see how WG is going to recover from this.

455driver

Veteran Member
Hard to see how WG is going to recover from this.

By using Cornish grit, determination and bloody mindedness! ;)

They will recover and in a few weeks we will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Good luck to you all down there, I always like to see the (well loaded) little green buses running around when I am down that way.

richw

Veteran Member
I've been into Truro today (by train, cheaper than parking). I observed WK04OKE, WK10AZU, WK11APY operating the Park and Ride into the City Centre, WK10AZU being the only P+R livering bus observed. WK04OKE is a Citaro, but not a P+R liveried model. WK11APY is an Optare Solo. Assuming these were the 2 Citaros not destroyed.
Also spotted 578PTA operating a 594 service,assuming this isnt a normal Mid/West Cornwall bus as it had a hand written destination in the windscreen with the blind displaying western greyhounds website.

2 hours ago WG posted the following on their facebook page.

The situation at present is that all routes are running fairly close to normal with the following exceptions: 524, 525 and 594 reduced service, and 522, 547, 550, 551, 556, 557, 558, 559, 585, 586, 596 nothing operating (although it is possible we may be able to get some journeys operating during the day). Many thanks to everyone for your messages of support and sympathy in this tragic loss.

Considering their loss I find it remarkable they have managed to get so many services running.

richw

Veteran Member
Terrible news. I hope this doesn't end up with them having to close up shop completely.

Looks like most of the casualties were Varios and Solos. At least two Volvo Olympians were destroyed as well (452 and 475).

2 brand new Solos apparently that had never seen operations as well!

overthewater

Established Member
Terrible news. I hope this doesn't end up with them having to close up shop completely.

Looks like most of the casualties were Varios and Solos. At least two Volvo Olympians were destroyed as well (452 and 475).

I doubt there will close up shop, insurance will cover the 37 buses, dare some a new order will be forthcoming, while hired in spares can be used until then.

Hopeful there catch who ever did this.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I doubt there will close up shop, insurance will cover the 37 buses, dare some a new order will be forthcoming, while hired in spares can be used until then.

Hopeful there catch who ever did this.

Where does it say it was arson?

Whatever the cause this is a terrible incident, hopefully WG will be back be back to their full strength as soon as possible :(

Yes, let's not jump to conclusions.

A very sad story but they will recover. Mark Howarth has done exceptionally well in challenging circumstances in the last few years and the company deserves to flourish. As some people have already mentioned, their buses are always a joy to travel on, with friendly and professional drivers and quite reasonable fares. Will be sorely missed if they ever fold.

anthony263

Established Member
Where does it say it was arson?

Whatever the cause this is a terrible incident, hopefully WG will be back be back to their full strength as soon as possible :(

Could very much have been accidental but I am willing to bet that this was arson and I doubt I am the only member on this forum who has comented or read this thread with similar thoughts. That said I do agree we should wait and see what the investigation turns up.

Again I do wish Western Greyhound all the best recovering from this terrible inccident and I praise the other bus operators who have offered assistance to Western Greyhound. I have not had an opportunity to travel on any services operated by Western Greyhound but from what I do know they seem to be a very good operator with great management and staff.

SWTH

Provisional losses that I am aware of:

259 - Bristol VR
401 - Enviro 400
402 - Enviro 400
440 - Dennis Trident
442 - Dennis Trident
444 - Dennis Trident
445 - Dennis Trident
450 - Volvo Olympian
452 - Volvo Olympian
453 - Volvo Olympian
467 - Volvo Olympian
473 - Volvo Olympian
475 - Volvo Olympian
498 - Volvo Olympian
499 - Volvo Olympian
DSU 107 - Dennis Javelin training bus
5 Citaros (4x P&R + 207)
2 Solo SR's (fleet numbers unknown at the moment).

The balance is made up of Solo's and Vario's - unsure of fleet numbers.

The two 'new' buses are the SR's - I am not aware of any new buses being delivered recently apart from a couple of demonstrators.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Western Greyhound website currently saying that Services 522, 547, 550, 551, 556, 557, 558, 559, 585, 586 & 596 not running while services 524 & 525 are running reduced level of service. It is hoped to provide the same level of service tomorrow and it seems that a partial 586 service will run with the London Routemaster.

Meanwhile also on the WGL site is that First D&C "have today offered to accept any Western Greyhound passenger holding a Weekly or Season ticket where they offer a service along a common section of route. This arrangement, which we greatly appreciate, will be in place for the next few days while our services return to normal."

Dave

richw

Veteran Member
Confirmed the Routemaster is coming out to play tomorrow on their Facebook

Due to a major fire at our depot in Summercourt, there is currently major disruption across our network.

The following services ARE NOT RUNNING:
522, 547, 550, 551, 556, 557, 558, 559, 585, 586, 596

The following services are running with REDUCED SERVICE:
524, 525

Unless stated, all other services are running as normal.

It is hoped to run the same level of service on Tuesday 15th May 2013. We are pleased to say that we will be running a partial service on the 586 using our red London Routemaster. The reduced timetable for this service is available on the website now - please go to the 586 page

anthony263

Established Member
Pity I cant get anywhere near devon or cornwall this week as I wouldnt mind a trip on a routemaster outside of London.

Status
Not open for further replies.