• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Western Greyhound Fire and subsequent WG general discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWTH

According to the conductor on the Routemaster yesterday the vehicle is to continue in service on the revised 586 service for at least a couple of weeks all being well. Also when they get some drivers back from leave next week trhey are "hoping" to use some of the other heritage vehicles,no further details at present.

There are drivers currently available who are qualified to drive the heritage vehicles, but the vehicles are not available (combination of reasons, not taxed/MoT'd/undergoing work/etc).

Loan arrivals so far:
Stagecoach West:
V942 DFH 33942 Dennis Dart/ALX200
VX54 LMJ 47121 Optare Solo

Carmel Coaches:
WP52 YZA Mercedes Vario
SF51 PVU Mercedes Vario

There are others due to arrive over the next few days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
In addition to the 4 arrivals mentioned by SWTH:

- 1x Plaxton Beaver (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
- 3x Optare Solos (Blackpool Transport)

Photos on Western Greyhound facebook page.

Dave

richw

Veteran Member
In addition to the 4 arrivals mentioned by SWTH:

- 1x Plaxton Beaver (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
- 3x Optare Solos (Blackpool Transport)

Photos on Western Greyhound facebook page.

Dave

I'm rather surprised a solo made it from Blackpool to Cornwall without breaking down, let alone three of them making it successfully.

83G/84D

Established Member
YJ09 OTE Optare of Blackpool Transport seen on A30 near Summercourt earlier this morning with "5 Royal Oak" on electronic destination blind and 591 card in window!

T400 CBC Anglian Bus MB 0814D also seen.

SWTH

Ah, you were the one mad enough to be up at 0540 on a Saturday to catch me!

Hadn't worked out how to use the destination at that point - never used the mobitec displays before and there were no instructions or destination numbers to refer to so I waited until I had time to work it out at a stop rather than on the move.

83G/84D

Established Member
Ah, you were the one mad enough to be up at 0540 on a Saturday to catch me!

Hadn't worked out how to use the destination at that point - never used the mobitec displays before and there were no instructions or destination numbers to refer to so I waited until I had time to work it out at a stop rather than on the move.

Mad? Probably! I was actually on the way to work and had a few minutes to spare. Had a quick look to see if any loan vehicles were about and you appeared and the chase was on!!

Do you know if any other loan vehicles are out today as I may go looking after work?

SWTH

The loan vehicles are on the 591/2 circuit and the 594 Wadebridge - St. Agnes. The idea is to keep them fairly local in case of any issues. Most are out today, except for the Norfolk Green Solos that only arrived last night.

83G/84D

Established Member
The loan vehicles are on the 591/2 circuit and the 594 Wadebridge - St. Agnes. The idea is to keep them fairly local in case of any issues. Most are out today, except for the Norfolk Green Solos that only arrived last night.

Great stuff, thanks very much.

High Dyke

Established Member
As below:

18/05/2013 - SERVICE UPDATE for 18th May - 95% return to normal!
We are pleased to say that, only five days after a huge blaze tore through our fleet, we are approaching 95% of our scheduled service level.

On Friday 18th May, all services will run as normal - with only the following exceptions:

the 524/525 - will still operate according to the published temporary timetable

the 586 - will still operate according to the published temporary timetable

the 547 - no service
the 557 - no service
the 585 - no service

We would like to extend our appreciation to the various operators around the country who have loaned us vehicles at short notice. In the light of this, passengers are asked to remain vigilant when waiting for our services, as some journeys will be operated by non-Western Greyhound branded vehicles, and may also not display accurate destination blinds.

http://www.westerngreyhound.com/index.php

83G/84D

Established Member
Isn't it wonderful that so many other bus companies from all over the country have supplied vehicles and offered to help out.

It dosen't happen very often in the rail industry.

CC 72100

Established Member
Isn't it wonderful that so many other bus companies from all over the country have supplied vehicles and offered to help out.

I was about to post something similar - hats off indeed to the way they and their fellow industry professionals have responded to this. Things like using the Routemaster on certain services and managing to get buses in from as far away as Blackpool as opposed to sitting there and saying 'there's nothing we can do; our hands are tied' is to be congratulated. Well done to all involved.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I was about to post something similar - hats off indeed to the way they and their fellow industry professionals have responded to this. Things like using the Routemaster on certain services and managing to get buses in from as far away as Blackpool as opposed to sitting there and saying 'there's nothing we can do; our hands are tied' is to be congratulated. Well done to all involved.
A post on an enthusiast group advises that Mark Howarth (MD of WG) has reported the following loan vehicles to date:

T400 CBC (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
SF51 PVU & WP52 YZA (Carmel Coaches, Okehampton)
V942 DFH & VX54 LMJ (Stagecoach West, Gloucester / Swindon)
YJ08 PFK, YJ09 OTE & YJ09 OTF (Blackpool Transport)
Unknown Solo SR demonstrator (loaned by Optare)
D617 YCX (Jonathan Keam)

Summercourt Travel - based next door to WGL - are providing service buses. In addition more vehicles are due and these are reported to be:

3x Mercedes Vario (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
3x Optare Solo (Norfolk Green, King's Lynn)

To get a 95% service level within just 5 days of this fire is a great result. Well done to all.

Dave

455driver

Veteran Member

It doesn't happen very often in the rail industry.

Thats because in the rail industry the crew cant just jump in a drive/guard a type of train they dont sign, even if it is pretty much the same as the stuff they do sign.

Examples-
There was a problem with the SWT 159 that used to go to Penzance on a Saturday (and return to Waterloo on Sunday) when a FGW manager decided that as the FGW crews (who worked it from/to Exeter st Davids) only had 158s on their cards they couldnt drive the 159s even though they are basically 158s. So SWT had to diagram a 2 coach 158 on the Penzance portion from then on, the only difference between a SWT 158 and a SWT 159 is the extra coach, everything else from the crews point of view is identical, maybe SWT should have just put a centre coach into one of the 158s and made sure it worked that diagram permanently.

XC wanted to hire a FGW HST power car when one of theirs went belly up but the drivers council (or somebody) stopped it because the FGW HSTs have ATP and the XC drivers are not trained on it even though it wouldn't be used.

This is what is wrong on the <bleepin> railways, too many people in positions of power with a "how to stop the job because I can" attitude rather than a "get the job done" attitude.

anthony263

Established Member

It dosen't happen very often in the rail industry.

It is great to see everyone in the bus industry pulling together to help one of their own. A lot of bus operators know what it is like to be hit by a large blaze wiping out a large number of vehicles.

Stagecoach Wales suffered such an incident a few years ago at Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil. It was odd at the time to see buses from other local independents working Stagecoach services. Stagecoach were also able to borrow vehicles which were due to be delivered to other depots at the time.

2Travel suffered a major blaze at the Upper Bank depot in Swansea which was next to the Swansea Vale Railway which really wiped out a lot of the fleet.

The bus industry doesnt seem to roll over and give up something which parts of the rail industry could learn from.

83G/84D

Established Member
A post on an enthusiast group advises that Mark Howarth (MD of WG) has reported the following loan vehicles to date:

T400 CBC (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
SF51 PVU & WP52 YZA (Carmel Coaches, Okehampton)
V942 DFH & VX54 LMJ (Stagecoach West, Gloucester / Swindon)
YJ08 PFK, YJ09 OTE & YJ09 OTF (Blackpool Transport)
Unknown Solo SR demonstrator (loaned by Optare)
D617 YCX (Jonathan Keam)

Summercourt Travel - based next door to WGL - are providing service buses. In addition more vehicles are due and these are reported to be:

3x Mercedes Vario (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
3x Optare Solo (Norfolk Green, King's Lynn)

To get a 95% service level within just 5 days of this fire is a great result. Well done to all.

Dave

YJ11 OJK is the Optare demonstrator seen in Truro this afternoon.
Y58 HBT is one of the Norfolk Green Optare's.

BestWestern

Established Member
It is great to see everyone in the bus industry pulling together to help one of their own. A lot of bus operators know what it is like to be hit by a large blaze wiping out a large number of vehicles.

Stagecoach Wales suffered such an incident a few years ago at Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil. It was odd at the time to see buses from other local independents working Stagecoach services. Stagecoach were also able to borrow vehicles which were due to be delivered to other depots at the time.

2Travel suffered a major blaze at the Upper Bank depot in Swansea which was next to the Swansea Vale Railway which really wiped out a lot of the fleet.

The bus industry doesnt seem to roll over and give up something which parts of the rail industry could learn from.

Nor, however, does it seem to learn that if you put your buses away properly, little scumbags can't set fire to them :|

causton

Established Member
Thats because in the rail industry the crew cant just jump in a drive/guard a type of train they dont sign, even if it is pretty much the same as the stuff they do sign.

Examples-
There was a problem with the SWT 159 that used to go to Penzance on a Saturday (and return to Waterloo on Sunday) when a FGW manager decided that as the FGW crews (who worked it from/to Exeter st Davids) only had 158s on their cards they couldnt drive the 159s even though they are basically 158s. So SWT had to diagram a 2 coach 158 on the Penzance portion from then on, the only difference between a SWT 158 and a SWT 159 is the extra coach, everything else from the crews point of view is identical, maybe SWT should have just put a centre coach into one of the 158s and made sure it worked that diagram permanently.

XC wanted to hire a FGW HST power car when one of theirs went belly up but the drivers council (or somebody) stopped it because the FGW HSTs have ATP and the XC drivers are not trained on it even though it wouldn't be used.

This is what is wrong on the <bleepin> railways, too many people in positions of power with a "how to stop the job because I can" attitude rather than a "get the job done" attitude.

In that first situation, how easy would it be to renumber the train? Do any processes have to be met or could they just change the number in their internal systems, get a sticky number and a scraper and make it a class 158?

Sometimes I'm amazed at these sort of things... :roll:

SWTH

The aim is to be back to running all services tomorrow. However, it is all very much subject to circumstances. Your best bet would be to ring the Newquay office on 01637 871871 for up to date info on which services are running.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Western Greyhound have posted an update to their Facebook page and on this update they confirm that the vehicles lost were:

Plaxton Beavers 564, 566, 572
Mercedes Citaros 201, 202, 204, 205 (all Truro P&R), 207
Optare Solos 816, 818, 819, 910, 912, 931, 951, 952, 958, 982, 988
ADL Enviro400s 401, 402
Tridents 440, 442, 444, 445
Olympians 450, 452, 453, 467, 473, 475, 498, 499
Bristol VR 259
Dennis Javelin DSU107

Optare Solo 931 was badly burned: assessors are working on whether it is repairable.

Vehicles hired in so far are:
- 2x Plaxton Beaver (Carmel, Okehampton)
- 3x Plaxton Beaver (Anglian Bus, Beccles)
- 1x Dennis Dart & 1x Optare Solo (both Stagecoach West)
- 3x Optare Solo (Blackpool Transport)
- 3x Optare Solos (Norfolk Green, Kings Lynn)
- 1x optare Solo SR (demonstrator from Optare)

In addition WGL have put Plaxton Beavers 500, 522 & 552 back on the road. More hire buses are en-route and other Plaxton Beavers are being prepared for service but are awaiting an MOT.

Dave
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
WGL's website this morning gives this for a service summary:

All services now running as normal with the following exceptions:
- Services 557 & 585: no service
- Services 524, 525 & 586 are still operating to the temporary TT

- Service 547 operating only a few journeys:
1020 NQ - SI
1540 SI - NQ
1240 & 1340 SI - West Cornwall Retail Park
1308 & 1508 West Cornwall Retail Park - SI

Dave
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Glad to see this on busandcoach.com
http://www.busandcoach.com/featurepage.aspx?id=7702&categoryid=0

Anyone know the reg of the Citaro loaned from EvoBus?

Dave

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
All services now running as normal with the following exceptions:-
- Services 557 & 585: no service

I understood that the 557 service from Padstow to St Columb Major would have been cancelled by the company irregardless, as it had been previously stated there was a lack of passengers using this particular service.

The 585 service between Newquay to Truro is currently being helped by a supplemented 586 service.

317 forever

Established Member
I rode 910 just 5 weeks ago from Newquay to Plymouth. I also rode one of the E400s in 2009.

I wonder whether Western Greyhound will eventually purchase new or second-hand stock as replacements?

SWTH

As I understand it, provided there are no issues with the insurance payout the replacements will be a combination of new and older vehicles. The vehicles are insured on a like-for-like basis, but finding two year old Solo SR's with the required spec for sale would be difficult, so there may be new ones instead. Obviously the trade-off is that other replacements might have to be older than what was lost to balance out the purchase of new vehicles.

VTPreston_Tez

I rode 910 just 5 weeks ago from Newquay to Plymouth. I also rode one of the E400s in 2009.

I wonder whether Western Greyhound will eventually purchase new or second-hand stock as replacements?

I reckon they'll take the Leyland Lynxes that are scattered around Dorset and Lancashire. Probably take the Metroriders as well while they're at it to cover things up for the next few years while modern stuck is constructed to satisfy the needs of Western Greyhound.

Status
Not open for further replies.