• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

We've lost the franchise, why not take the coach instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route:oxford

Established Member
Email received from National Express at 19.45, Friday 13th November.

Hello

As you may of heard, National Express will no longer be operating the East Coast mainline train service from 23:59 on Friday 13 November. After this time the service will be taken over by East Coast Mainline Company Ltd. with all tickets purchased still valid.

As a thank you for travelling with National Express East Coast, we would like to give you 50% off your first coach booking with us and entry to a £1000 prize draw. Simply click below to receive our regular email communications which (we think!) are packed with offers and inspiration, and you'll automatically be entered into the prize draw and have your voucher sent to you.

Still not sure? Well, National Express coaches go to over 1,000 UK destinations including direct airport transfers, music festivals, sporting events and even the Chelsea Flower Show! With fares as low as 99p and a guaranteed seat you can save money as you travel in comfort. (Plus take up to 2 suitcases and hand luggage - ideal for your holidays). So, why not give it a try?

Thanks again for your custom,
The National Express team

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengley

Established Member
Coach travel is hideous, I don't think I'd ever choose it over trains. Silly National Express.

Also: As you may of heard

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah, who the hell would want to sit half the day on a coach up the East Coast just to save a few bob. Maybe it could cost more anyway as some great rail fares to be had if you can be a tad flexible. Bad enough using them on RR.

Metroland

Established Member
One of the main criticisms laid against NX was they tried to turn it into a coach service! As rail passengers hate rail replacement coaches the most in polls, I can't see that going down well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did it really say "may of" ?!?! It annoys me when people make that mistake on forums but I can forgive that, but for a company to make that mistake in a press release is unforgivable! Can they not even be bothered to proof read? It just shows them up to lack intelligence IMO.

And what does "guaranteed seat" mean? Ah yes, that you are not guaranteed travel. Is that what customers want? Strangely enough, no it isn't. You are almost guaranteed travel on the East Coast franchise, as the chances of the train being so full you cannot physically get on are negligible, as you can stand. But the equivalent coach services can turf you away and it could be hours before the next one, which could also send you packing. Only a complete idiot would make the conclusion that coach travel is more convenient for customers on that basis.

jon0844

Veteran Member
To be fair, I know people who use a coach purely on price (booking in advance) and they don't seem to realise (even when told) you can also advance book some pretty cheap deals on the train too.

I bet there are many, many people out there that can't quite equate cheap advance booking of coaches (even low-cost flights) with the trains. Some people must still think it's a turn up and go thing, whereas you wouldn't just turn up to get a coach or flight. A bus, yes, coach no.

Part of the reason might be the hassle of getting cheap advance train deals as most booking systems are a nightmare and very confusing. That said, when I checked some prices on NXEC two days ago (to see if they were doing any silly deals!) it did look more like a flight booking system and was quite impressive. But that was new to me, so I doubt Joe Public are aware of it yet.

John @ home

Established Member
National Express Coaches <[email protected]> to John @ home at 13 November 2009 19.40 said:
As you may of heard, National Express will no longer be operating the East Coast mainline train service from 23:59 on Friday 13 November.
A thoroughly unprofessional communication. It may well have been unlawful if sent after 2359.
Did it really say "may of" ?!?! It annoys me when people make that mistake on forums but I can forgive that, but for a company to make that mistake in a press release is unforgivable! Can they not even be bothered to proof read? It just shows them up to lack intelligence IMO.
Completely agreed. I assume that this was sent in order to increase the possibility that I may choose to use a National Express coach. It has had precisely the opposite effect.

John

Last edited:
I'm really impressed by this forum (and I'm not being sarcastic) with your concern for good English. I feel there is hope for the language yet.

djw1981

Established Member
This is why anyone who is caught speaking estuary English of mockney (like the dim woman in charge of DOR) should be sacked immediately.

Oliver

A thoroughly unprofessional communication. It may well have been unlawful if sent after 2359.Completely agreed. I assume that this was sent in order to increase the possibility that I may choose to use a National Express coach. It has had precisely the opposite effect.

John

If you type "I may of heard" into WORD the grammar checker picks it up, and proposes the correct "I may have heard". If Bill Gates can get this right surely someone writing press releases should be able to.

djw1981

Established Member
Most marketing stuff is written by someone with a 'degree' in Marketing though. So they have never been taught, nor taken the time to learn. I hope the CEO of NX has written a P45 for the person concerned.

TheBigD

Established Member
NX sent a similar email when they lost Midland Mainline back in November 2007.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I must admit, I used the coach for the first time a couple of months ago from Leeds to London purely because I missed the train and didn't fancy paying eighty pounds. It did the job for £20 and got me to Victoria (just in time for the last train to Ashford) but only in emergencies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
And what does "guaranteed seat" mean? Ah yes, that you are not guaranteed travel. Is that what customers want? Strangely enough, no it isn't. You are almost guaranteed travel on the East Coast franchise, as the chances of the train being so full you cannot physically get on are negligible, as you can stand. But the equivalent coach services can turf you away and it could be hours before the next one, which could also send you packing. Only a complete idiot would make the conclusion that coach travel is more convenient for customers on that basis.

It means that on busy services, they let the customers with a boooked seat on first before letting others on.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It means that on busy services, they let the customers with a boooked seat on first before letting others on.
Yes and if it fills up then they will tell people who have not booked they can't travel! Unlike on the railways, where people are not prevented from boarding except in extreme, very rare, circumstances.

tony_mac

Established Member
if they have sold more tickets then they normally run extra coaches.

If there is engineering work on then the coach is often more convenient and much cheaper and probably more comfortable than rail-replacement buses.

On the "National Express" cannot communication in English front, saw this corker at Peterborough the other day:

"The Department for Transport has advised us that that the East Coast [...]"

Failed Unit

Established Member
NX sent a similar email when they lost Midland Mainline back in November 2007.

Yep I also got one when we were rid of them from Central, at the time was thinking no chance, I never want to travel with you company ever again, little did I know they would get the east coast!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes and if it fills up then they will tell people who have not booked they can't travel! Unlike on the railways, where people are not prevented from boarding except in extreme, very rare, circumstances.

I learn something new, I didn't know you could turn up on the day for a coach trip!

ivanhoe

Many people simply prefer going by coach. They are neither deluded or stupid. It's their choice. By all means criticise if you have actually used NE coaches and had a bad experience but lets not pretend that rail travel is fun all of the time.

As for the speed issue, of course the train is faster, but that is reflected in the ticket price.

Bowker was the problem for Nat Exp and he was a railway man!

Trains06

Train Travel any day.... National Express Coach from Manchester-London = 5 hours and more expense ==- Virgin Train from Crewe-London = 1.5 hours and less expense -=- London Midland Train from Crewe-London = 3.5 hours and less expense

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think we're being somewhat unfair on the coach. I am sure it's easier to get a cheaper ticket on a coach than a train. How many cheap seats are there on a particular train/day? When I used to check GNER and NXEC regularly for cheap deals, I hardly ever found any - and certainly not at a time convenient to me.

I'm looking to go to York this weekend. Advance booking on East Coast says the cheapest direct ticket I'm going to get is about £70-75 return (that's without any clever splitting tricks).

On National Express, on any number of different coaches, it's £33. Okay, it will take me 3 hours more (and I also have to go into London, which means adding another hour for me), but surely there are a significant number of people that would actually quite like to pocket almost £50? And if I was willing to take two specific services, I can get a funfare that's £19!!

The coaches ARE modern and comfortable too. Think students, families etc - I'd guess the coach option is still quite attractive and cost effective when time isn't the most important factor.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I only seem to see new coaches, but perhaps that's a London thing?

Trains06

1 adult on a Virgin Train this Saturday = £22.00 rtn (CRE-EUS)
1 adult on a National Express Bus this Saturday = £25.60 (Manchester-London - Couldnt find a funfare)

tbtc

Veteran Member
I learn something new, I didn't know you could turn up on the day for a coach trip!

I used to use their coaches to commute from Sheffield to Leeds each day (it was around half the price of the train, before the "semi fast" services via Barnsley).

I bought a "ten journey" card, which was stamped on each trip I made. Very popular with commuters (e.g there was a 07.00, 07.15 and 07.30 from Sheffield to Leeds each morning). However, the drivers would let those with booked seats on first before attending to those (like me) who hadn't got a seat booked on that trip. Seems only fair.

As coaches cannot take standing passengers on motorways (unlike trains which can run at 125mph with dozens of people standing), the rules have to be a bit different. Then again, National Express don't run coaches from the 1970s ;)

As for some of the other comments on here; it's strange to see such dismissive attitudes of another form of public transport. A lot of the comments you are making about coaches could easily be made about trains by most "non enthusiasts".

djw1981

Established Member
1 adult on a Virgin Train this Saturday = £22.00 rtn (CRE-EUS)
1 adult on a National Express Bus this Saturday = £25.60 (Manchester-London - Couldnt find a funfare)

How much CRE-Manchester - if you are going to do a comparison =you have to sue the same start and end points, otherwise its like tabloid journalism - not worth anything.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
No we in the sticks also see new coaches, on the service runs,brand new coaches Wrexham/Chester Station every 15 minutes,(Arriva)

Wrexham/Rhyl every hour £4 return(free if over 6o)also brand new coaches (GHA)
cheapest rail fare Wrexham/Rhyl return £13/50, both walk on. Reply to thread 26,London thing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.