• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What’s going on with Thameslink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
I do! I don’t want to arrive at a station to see a train leave and waste 14’30” of my time waiting for the next one. I always check times (and how they are running).

Fair enough - however when you have been a given an all day clock face timetable I'd expect there are far more passengers who don't than do.

Personally I do too to check general running conditions but am aware most don't.

A dam site more people use Earlswood than Salfords. Just got off a train there along with c20 other people miles less than Redhill so will only ever warrant half hourly but the trains are used throughout the day mainly towards London till early afternoon.

Judging by the fact that the local Facebook Rail users group gets more complaints from different people using Earlswood than anywhere else they are either a very vocal 20 or so passengers or very fed up or it is a potentially well used station as Jonathan H said.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Fair enough - however when you have been a given an all day clock face timetable I'd expect there are far more passengers who don't than do.

Checking in advance saved me at least two hours hanging around various stations yesterday. I was relatively flexible with my timings, but not much.

Edsmith

Personally I do too to check general running conditions but am aware most don't.

Judging by the fact that the local Facebook Rail users group gets more complaints from different people using Earlswood than anywhere else they are either a very vocal 20 or so passengers or very fed up or it is a potentially well used station as Jonathan H said.
I can understand people who use Earlswood wanting a better service but two trains an hour seems about right to me and I think Salfords is even quieter.

Minstral25

Established Member
Checking in advance saved me at least two hours hanging around various stations yesterday. I was relatively flexible with my timings, but not much.

On a services with 4 trains per hour normally - shows how bad it has got

Minstral25

Established Member
I can understand people who use Earlswood wanting a better service but two trains an hour seems about right to me and I think Salfords is even quieter.

I agree about Salfords, but potential at Earlswood is very high. It would though be very good to have regular stopping trains along the whole route from Coulsdon through to Gatwick

I wasn’t on Thameslink yesterday.

Lucky for you :D

Minstral25

Established Member
I’ve told you an unintentional mistruth. I was on Thameslink yesterday (twice, Right time both trips, and on ATO :)) but it was on the WCML where checking in advance saved me time.

Ah one of those pesky short hop types

When it runs to its timetables it is a good regular service. I think nearly every trip in the core recently I've done has felt like on ATO (Obvs I'm not in the cab but utilising your fast start fast stop basis)

ar10642

Get quite sentimental about those orange curtains though...
I think they were gone by the time I started using them. I remember being crammed into the too-small 3x2 seats and not being able to see out of the windows because they were all steamed up, and delays leaving because someone didn't bother to shut one of the doors correctly.

That being said, when the 377s came along there were quite a few problems initially.

frediculous

Today the train before mine was cancelled in the morning so it was much busier on the Peterborough route. Coming home, the Welwyn train cancelled from Denmark Hill, and also the Peterborough one cancelled too.

So far that makes 4 delay repay claims on the 3 days I've travelled this week. Who knows what will happen tomorrow
And the one after mine this morning, and my Peterborough service from Blackfriars this evening. Make that 5 delay claims in the 4 days.

Aaaand at Finsbury Park we were told to get on a GN service that was stopping, initially not at Sandy or Arlesey, then announced to be so ("confirmed by control"). I tweeted them when we sailed through Arlesey to be told it was never stopping at either station. Really unhelpful

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I don't understand how anyone could prefer a 4-VEP to anything. Worst trains ever to run in the South East.
I've never understood the anti VEP anger. Did people hate the 310s and 312s as much? They're basically the same. Anyway, 3403s time of 17 minutes all stations (except Faygate) from Gatwick to Horsham remains unbeaten.

RJ

Established Member
I've never understood the anti VEP anger. Did people hate the 310s and 312s as much? They're basically the same. Anyway, 3403s time of 17 minutes all stations (except Faygate) from Gatwick to Horsham remains unbeaten.

I’m not sure how many people enjoyed having other people clambering over their legs to get on and off every time the train made a stop!

The seats were comfortable for sure and the heating worked, but for practical commuting purposes the design has had its day!

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I’m not sure how many people enjoyed having other people clambering over their legs to get on and off every time the train made a stop!

The seats were comfortable for sure and the heating worked, but for practical commuting purposes the design has had its day!
Being a 1960s/1970s design, they worked very well, and the 310s/312s.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Yes that’s awfully strange
Do you recall any major event happening around Brighton?
Some extremely late night services stop at Redhill from Brighton on regular weekdays like one I saw yesterday and have seen for a few days

Perhaps it was to provide extra service because so many trains had been cancelled around it. I know avanti does the same this with Lockerbie when lots have been cancelled?
No official idea but I think your last point will be the reason, which is what I suspected on the day, knowing how bad the service can get at Redhill at times. At times being important here.

ar10642

The seats were only comfortable if there was nobody in the middle one otherwise you were crammed in like sardines. Good riddance to the horrible things.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The VEP design was fine.

Yes 3+2 isn't the best when busy, but if doing Ashford to Charing Cross (as an example) I'd rather be crammed in a middle seat than stood up all the way.

And at least they weren't airline seats.

Also worth bearing in mind that three strangers sat across from eachother is actually better on 3+2 than 2+3.

ar10642

The VEP design was fine.

Yes 3+2 isn't the best when busy, but if doing Ashford to Charing Cross (as an example) I'd rather be crammed in a middle seat than stood up all the way.

And at least they weren't airline seats.

Also worth bearing in mind that three strangers sat across from eachother is actually better on 3+2 than 2+3.
I couldn't disagree more, the modern designs are better in every possible way for me. VEPs felt little better than cattle trucks. They added little bars on the windows later that added to the prison transport ambiance.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I couldn't disagree more, the modern designs are better in every possible way for me. VEPs felt little better than cattle trucks. They added little bars on the windows later that added to the prison transport ambiance.

Neither could I.

I'd take a VEP over any modern train (although I also didn't like the window bars. Fortunately that was only a central division thing).

If you want a cattle truck, try anything with ironing board seats.

frediculous

Two consecutive cancellations today at Sandy, the 0756 and 0826. Therefore all crammed on a very busy (full and standing) 8-car 387 that's now stopping (but not at Finsbury Park for useful connections...).
LNER member of staff opposite doesn't look too impressed.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit recently you are definitely seeing why Peterborough passengers are so unhappy. Last night we would have had the same impact irrespective of how the service was grouped. (although the South of the river route may not have got as badly impacted)

Last week I was at London Blackfriars. 2x Horsham to Peterborough services cancelled because of a shortage of staff, as was a Brighton - Cambridge. Even if you were travelling from Thameslink - Stevenage that was 3x consecutive services cancelled. (the Sevenoaks - WGC services remained to at least offer people the chance to change at Finsbury Park). I am not sure if a driver was available to take the train north (but doesn't help when the train is in Three Bridges). So for London - Peterborough passengers in the peak they had the hourly Great Northern shuttle which I assume made extra stops.

I know a lot of passengers are unhappy the Kings Cross - Peterborough Peak extras are still not back in the timetable at the same frequency. Although it can be argued that they are not needed in terms of passenger numbers, they would help in times of disruption. However as a lot of services are cancelled because of crew shortage, it probably would make little difference as a service would need to be cancelled and at least it should be more predictable with the thinned out service.

Minstral25

Established Member
I must admit recently you are definitely seeing why Peterborough passengers are so unhappy. Last night we would have had the same impact irrespective of how the service was grouped. (although the South of the river route may not have got as badly impacted)

Last week I was at London Blackfriars. 2x Horsham to Peterborough services cancelled because of a shortage of staff, as was a Brighton - Cambridge. Even if you were travelling from Thameslink - Stevenage that was 3x consecutive services cancelled. (the Sevenoaks - WGC services remained to at least offer people the chance to change at Finsbury Park). I am not sure if a driver was available to take the train north (but doesn't help when the train is in Three Bridges). So for London - Peterborough passengers in the peak they had the hourly Great Northern shuttle which I assume made extra stops.

Same South of the River - regular cancellations on both Peterborough to Horsham and Bedford to Gatwick often mean gaps over an hour in service. Thameslink has really dipped in last year or so and seems to be getting worse. Presumably they are being squeezed by DfT to cut costs that this is limiting ability to cope with an minor issues let alone major ones. Although they're management changed last year when Steve White went to SouthEastern and timing of dip comes from then.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Same South of the River - regular cancellations on both Peterborough to Horsham and Bedford to Gatwick often mean gaps over an hour in service. Thameslink has really dipped in last year or so and seems to be getting worse. Presumably they are being squeezed by DfT to cut costs that this is limiting ability to cope with an minor issues let alone major ones. Although they're management changed last year when Steve White went to SouthEastern and timing of dip comes from then.
I have notice that myself, it seems to spread to all routes as well.

If you take the recent Hay on the line, it soon disrupted the Cambridge branch, but even more surprising the Great Northern shuttles which I would expect to be self contained. (But then if platform are occupied at WGC what can you do).

But even since 2018 I have struggled to see a Plan B. You get a problem say at Kentish Town, the trains quickly back up into the core with nowhere to go. So you have a Bedford train in St Pancras that can't proceed and a Cambridge train at Farringdon that could (if the Bedford wasn't there). I remember before the timetable was launched they stated they would have lots of plan Bs, but moving the Bedford train to Finsbury Park to terminate and return seems easy for me in my armchair. However I don't know if what the route knowledge is for Finsbury Park. Reading about it appears that Horsham drivers have very limited knowledge north of the Thames which is adding to the problems.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I have to use Thameslink this Sunday to get from either Earlswood/Redhill to Hove. I'm hoping that it doesn't get cancelled. Southern is telling me to change at Three Bridges for an onward connection to Hove but I'm Reluctant to do so as Trains get Busy at Gatwick Airport (and I would like to have a seat) but at the same time the connection time is only 6 minutes (not same platform) but at Three Bridges it is 8 minutes and on same platform.

Im also considering alternatives from Redhill in case That 10:31 gets cancelled. But there is a GWR leaving a couple minutes later arriving at 10:45. ( I may have got that wrong) I haven't used Thameslink for a while so its slightly irritating now that I have to plan my entire journey around the possibility of a train becoming cancelled! I now understand what others have felt!

MikeWM

Established Member
It's not much better on the GN side. Here's the last 7 weekdays of Ely -> Cambridge North; I'm trying to commute on the 0947...

1660644634317.png

and then back on the 1841...

1660644783739.png

It's been an appalling couple of weeks. It feels almost as bad as May 2018 right now.

Minstral25

Established Member
I have to use Thameslink this Sunday to get from either Earlswood/Redhill to Hove. I'm hoping that it doesn't get cancelled. Southern is telling me to change at Three Bridges for an onward connection to Hove but I'm Reluctant to do so as Trains get Busy at Gatwick Airport (and I would like to have a seat) but at the same time the connection time is only 6 minutes (not same platform) but at Three Bridges it is 8 minutes and on same platform.

Im also considering alternatives from Redhill in case That 10:31 gets cancelled. But there is a GWR leaving a couple minutes later arriving at 10:45. ( I may have got that wrong) I haven't used Thameslink for a while so its slightly irritating now that I have to plan my entire journey around the possibility of a train becoming cancelled! I now understand what others have felt!
Was looking at that myself this morning. Earlswood only has a poor hourly service most Sunday's and is regularly canned - So I'd recommend Redhill to Gatwick. This weekend the Bedford's are supposed to call but correct timetable is not uploaded yet as there are still services earlier than 7:30am which is not possible day after strike.

When connecting at Gatwick - If you go out the north escalator on P2 or 3 at Gatwick whichever you arrive at, it states "No Exit" but actually is the faster route to P7 where Hove trains tend to go from.

Status
Not open for further replies.