• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these? (Metal cylinders next to track)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnjkerbin

I went for a walk a few days ago, and saw these tanks next to a railway line (this was taken from the bottom of the embankment with the railway line behind the tanks). This is a section of relatively high speed, gently curving track. There were some sidings nearby many years ago. Does anyone have any idea what these might be?
IMG_20180910_140515430.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Wheel flange lubricator. There’s one similar on the Didcot Avoider IIRC.

Edit to add photos of above which I remembered I had taken from a static train.

1396B2E2-FDA0-4F82-9493-54E44C34943C.jpeg 9EC9A3DB-7435-4726-95DF-F22A96D0122F.jpeg

TheEdge

Established Member
They are indeed flange lubricators, grease pots and whatever other name they go by. They just, as the name suggests, lubricate the inside of the rails and wheels to reduce wear and tear and quieten the squealing down.

Sir_Sheep

I’ve been asking the very same question about this on platform 13 at Manchester Piccadilly! Thanks for answering :D

23A8997B-27B9-4CB7-96DF-708EA5209996.jpeg

EssexGonzo

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe - flange!

my favorite bit of railway equipment. I had to order some once and it was VERY hard to keep a straight face and remain professional while on the phone!

PS i knew without looking this was either a question about a datum plate or a flange greaser

I am so glad that someone else was sniggering at the back.

Quite possibly the best piece of transport-related equipment I've ever heard of. It has displaced the Grease Nipple.

The Lad

In the photo on post 4 the lubricators are for the back of the flange against the check rail.
They are more common for the other side of the flange.

TheEdge

Established Member
I am so glad that someone else was sniggering at the back.

Quite possibly the best piece of transport-related equipment I've ever heard of. It has displaced the Grease Nipple.

I don't think any true railwayman won't be giggling at the thought of a well oiled flange.

59CosG95

Established Member
Of course, the S&DJR's "Leaking Cocks" sign is another classic, but drain cocks seem to be a thing of the past on the UK network...to the dismay of satirists everwhere, probably

Status
Not open for further replies.