• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are your wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
I saw a 54 plate SportKa at auction a year or two back with quite a large rust patch on the n/s A pillar, rusty arches and a hole under the filler cap that was nearly big enough to get my fist through.

Well, i hope this Ford Ka Dosent suffer with rust! :lol:

[Edit - Link dosent work, See the Ka below]

the stripler - That's a nice looking bike too. Is it a KTM?

Attachments

• london_aquarium_entrance_5EM_PakWheels(com).jpg
    london_aquarium_entrance_5EM_PakWheels(com).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ford_ka_aquarium.jpg
    ford_ka_aquarium.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 27
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
I own a Vauxhall Corsa which helped me tick off 35 stations on Thursday (Flint-Holyhead, Conwy Valley line and Pwllheli-Penrhyndeudraeth). A great little run around which is a little greedy on the juice unfortunately.

K9-70

No cages for me, just a motorcycle.

A 1997 Suzuki GSX750F motorcycle, reg new in 2000, with over 105,000 miles on the engine and still going strong.

Roverman

I've had a fair few Rovers over the years, including a 45 like TempleMeads. Currently using my Nans 100 as she can't drive anymore and its a lovely little runaround. I also own one of the last 2.2 manual Omegas (June 03 registration) which I bought because it was modern and RWD. However due to a dodgy knee it's being part exed for an auto....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Went to Edinburgh Airport tonight in my 107 to collect a Hired Car for a trip up North for the weekend.

Imagine my suprise when Avis gave me an MG6 Magnette :lol:

I thought for a moment I had been selected for a "vintage car"

It's a bit "plasticky" but it drives well with good steering and the 1.8 Turbocharged Engine is not bad.

These cars must be rare as "hens teeth" as they have to be ordered and I believe collected at Longbridge. I have never seen one in England let alone in Scotland !!!

Would you believe it has satnav as standard but those tightwads at Avis have removed the "chip" much to my displeasure <(

There are around 40 MG dealers in the UK as well as the Sales Centre at Longbridge. They are slowly trickling onto the market (60 sold in Sept) and AVIS borrowed 500 for hiring out, you were lucky to get one as you can't actually ask for one when booking.

Not sure why AVIS felt the need to break the Sat Nav as its quite a useful thing when driving in unknown areas!

richw

Veteran Member
I've had a fair few Rovers over the years, including a 45 like TempleMeads. Currently using my Nans 100 as she can't drive anymore and its a lovely little runaround.
I once accidently bought a cityrover. Awful terrible are the most favourable words I can think to describe it. I bought it at auction in Sept 2007, it was first registered Feb 2004, had 26000 on it only. Within 6 months it had eaten 2 head gaskets, a gear box, a ecu, an immobiliser, the alloy just randomly fractured, it snapped a suspension spring and I became on first name terms with the local rac man, but our paths haven't crossed since I sold the rover in march 2008.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Roverman

I don't fully accept them as Rovers, they certainly don't 'move the game on' from the Metro/100s.

If you must have a small petrol powered manual Rover then buy a 25 1.1 or 1.4, you'll find them similarly priced!

Rich_D3167

2009 Seat Leon FR is my motor. 2.0 CR TDI engine with 170bhp & 258 lb/ft torque. Driven carefully can get over 50mpg with a 600+ mile range. £115/year road tax isn't too bad either considering the performance of the car! :)

Mine's a Renault Clio 1.6 Auto T Reg. It's adapted with hand controls and a roof hoist for my wheelchair. Had it 6 years and has served me well. I'm the 5th owner.

Yew

Established Member
Yep, it's quite rare to find a rust free KA any more.

I've seen 2002 cars with holes in the windscreen pillars....

Minee struggled with rust, althouh anything related from the Mk4 fiesta suffers the same problems (Fiestas, KA's pumas, Its the reason I have the seat instead of the Puma :D )

I liked it though, Its more enjoyable to drive than the seat, although its not as comfortable or fast. I'm hoping at some point I can Pick up a 'fun' car and keep the Seat Leon as a paddlewagon for my kayaking.

Roverman

Yew-Can I suggest an MG ZR160 as a fun car. Get one for under £2k with the stronger Head gasket and you should be fine!

In other news. Has anyone had experience of the Fiat Stilo as I might be getting one.

deltic1989

Established Member
I'm thinking of replaceing my BMW in the near future. The mrs wants me to buy something more economical but I want something a bit quicker, and I'm the only one of us with a driving licence :lol: .
Thinking of a mid 90's Merc E class or a similar aged Audi A4 for a change as ive had 5 BMW's now.

richw

Veteran Member
I'm thinking of replaceing my BMW in the near future. The mrs wants me to buy something more economical but I want something a bit quicker, and I'm the only one of us with a driving licence :lol: .
Thinking of a mid 90's Merc E class or a similar aged Audi A4 for a change as ive had 5 BMW's now.

avoid mercs from the late 90s e class shape though, appalling reliability and rust issues

Temple Meads

Established Member
avoid mercs from the late 90s e class shape though, appalling reliability and rust issues

Agree about the rust issues but general reliability and durability isn't too bad though, just look at the mileages of a lot of them on ebay..

455driver

Veteran Member
It seems that rust is what kills off most Kas - particularly the sills, arches and around the filler cap.

Its a Ford, of course it rusts.

My present car- 1993 Pug 106 1.4 diesel
Bought for £151 on ebay 2 and a half year ago, needed a wiper for each of the MOTs, currently stands me £480 total costs (a few things went wrong), starts first time and returns a real world 57mpg.

Everyone in work takes the urine out of it but its a cheap, cheerful but reliable work hack, quite easy to work on as well (no stupid computers and plenty of room in the engine bay) and when something breaks I cant fix it will be scrapped and a later 106 diesel bought.

richw

Veteran Member
Its a Ford, of course it rusts.

My present car- 1993 Pug 106 1.4 diesel
Bought for £151 on ebay 2 and a half year ago, needed a wiper for each of the MOTs, currently stands me £480 total costs (a few things went wrong), starts first time and returns a real world 57mpg.

Everyone in work takes the urine out of it but its a cheap, cheerful but reliable work hack, quite easy to work on as well (no stupid computers and plenty of room in the engine bay) and when something breaks I cant fix it will be scrapped and a later 106 diesel bought.

Cant go wrong with a PSA diesel. I bought a P reg 306 1.9 non-turbo diesel in 2007 with 480000 on the clock, ran it for 14 months, until someone pulled out on me at a junction and I hit it square on the side. Insurance wrote it off and it had 504,337 miles when the insurers took it away. Didnt cost me anything other than a set of front brake pads in my ownership. It had paperwork showing at least a minor service every 6000 miles and a major service every 18000 miles, right up until my ownership. Belonged to a company owned by a family friend of mine, all were motorway miles, and then my friends who owned the company ran it round after they replaced it with a 307 diesel.
I am now on my 6th PSA diesel engined car. I've had a zx 1.9tdi, xsara 1.9d, then the above 306d, a saxo 1.5d, and now I have a berlingo 1.6 Hdi. I have never had a fault with any of these cars mechanically. I've had a few other cars between the saxo and the berlingo, and each have cost me money where the PSA diesels havent!

richw

Veteran Member
Oh I nearly forgot, no rust anywhere! ;)

It wouldn't have, Peugeot/citroen used to put a protective coating after their paint and the only time they rust seems to be where the coating gets damaged.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Established Member
Cant go wrong with a PSA diesel.
The XUD, definitely.
For the HDi, the 2 litre and 2.2 yes, but the 1.6 not so much.

and now I have a berlingo 1.6 Hdi. I have never had a fault with any of these cars mechanically.
From someone on another forum:

Sham said:
Went to see my mechanic friend, Steve, yesterday and were discussing cars as we do. "What engines in yours?" he says. "2 litre HDi" says I... "good job you didn't get the chocolate 1.6 Hdi 16" and we go into great detail about why...
Variable vane turbos and the cleaning additive tank hidden under the floor at the back that needs topping up at huge cost after a few years that keeps everything clean, the DPF and of course the DMF.
I asked about costs and the DMF has come down a lot as its so common - hes doing 3 a week at cost of around £450 these days inc labour.

The DMF goes for most turbodiesels these days, though.

My best friend had a 306 estate until recently - 2.0 HDi, 167k on the clock, and premanently broken in some way or another. The electrics in particular were rubbish.
He maintains his own car, and spent a lot of time maintaining the pug. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I like the 306 (and we used to own one, until my brother crashed it :roll:), and I was planning on buying one, but didn't in the end.

Last edited:

D2022

Day to day...A Mongoose Primo USA ramp bmx, limited edition, rare as horse poo. Snafu tyres, Alienation Plain Black rims, WeThePeople pegs, WtB seat, DMR V8 peds and DMR cranks, Pro push brakes, Tektro blocks.

Looks bang tidy....until it gets muddy lol

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Just on the subject of cars, my dad had finally had enough of his Defender, he had bought it new in 1985/1986 and had it ever since. But it had failed it's MOT and needing hundreds and possibly thousands of pounds of welding and the brakes and tyres needed doing so it would have cost more to fix than it's worth. He took it to a dealer and he got £60, I got more for my Xbox 360 years ago!

Today he brought an R-reg KIA sportage for £400 and it's excellent, tomorrow he offered to give me a ride to school in it to see what it's like on the motorway! should be interesting!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Day to day...A Mongoose Primo USA ramp bmx, limited edition, rare as horse poo. Snafu tyres, Alienation Plain Black rims, WeThePeople pegs, WtB seat, DMR V8 peds and DMR cranks, Pro push brakes, Tektro blocks.

Looks bang tidy....until it gets muddy lol

That sounds really nice. What colour is it? I used to be into bikes years ago. I have a Haro Steel reserve 1. Rare as when I bought it, set my mum back £750!!!! Never failed to impress, lovely ride and excellent wheels and very light for a jump bike, excellent in Delemere forest when doing the hills and courses. I CBA with the specs but i'll post a pic.

Attachments

• mybike.jpg
    mybike.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 10
Just on the subject of cars, my dad had finally had enough of his Defender, he had bought it new in 1985/1986 and had it ever since. But it had failed it's MOT and needing hundreds and possibly thousands of pounds of welding and the brakes and tyres needed doing so it would have cost more to fix than it's worth. He took it to a dealer and he got £60, I got more for my Xbox 360 years ago!

Today he brought an R-reg KIA sportage for £400 and it's excellent, tomorrow he offered to give me a ride to school in it to see what it's like on the motorway! should be interesting!

I can empathise with this scenario. Six years ago, I wrote off my L reg Ford Fiesta in an accident. The insurance payout was less than the cost of four new tyres!

Status
Not open for further replies.