• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you do while you're on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

class156

When i'm traveling on a train I like to look out for old pieces of infrastructure and traces of old railway lines, like for instance I go to Glasgow regualrly using the train from Irvine to Glasgow and I had thought that I had seen every old line but today I seen part of the old Paisley canal line when heading out of Johnstone, things like that interest me, what do other forum members do to pass the time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
When i'm traveling on a train I like to look out for old pieces of infrastructure and traces of old railway lines, like for instance I go to Glasgow regualrly using the train from Irvine to Glasgow and I had thought that I had seen every old line but today I seen part of the old Paisley canal line when heading out of Johnstone, things like that interest me, what do other forum members do to pass the time?

I also like to do that when I'm on lines I'm not too familiar with. When doing my regular commute, I daydream or read Metro! If it's dark or I'm on a longer run, I read, often a rail magazine!

I tend to keep an eye on my bike (have to around where I live ... :| ) as well as checking the forums, Facebook, or b3ta and also listening to my iPod ... all at once.

MCR247

Established Member
Play & listen on my iPhone 8)

^ Only time I've used 8) when I wanted it.. :|

Daniel

Established Member
On my short NR commute, stare out of the window, people watch. On LU, continue people watching, or read a book.

...I get through ALOT of books lol

theblackwatch

Established Member
Having had an outing today, I ended up doing the following:
- Chatting to a fellow enthusiast for a while
- Updated some records on my laptop (till the battery ran out)
- Enjoyed the scenery
- Had a read of a book I had taken with me
- Fell asleep

That's probably a typical trip for me as well!

Dai.

Established Member
I usually just fall to sleep on long journeys

on short journeys I usually talk to people I know who also happen to be using the same train as me.

Lampshade

Established Member
On short journeys I tend to listen to my iPod, longer journeys I have my laptop with me so I get on with some uni work or watch a film.

scotsman

Established Member
Listen to music/read on my way to Edinburgh
En route to/from Strathspey: Read/look out window/eat/drink/listen to music
Anywhere new: Look out window (bash as appropriate)
Try talking to passengers
Banter if with mates

Established Member
In no particular order:

Look out of the window, read, update stuff on laptop, sleep, chat if with somebody or see somebody I know, take pictures of stuff of interest (assuming opening window available / not going too fast)....

I generally try to cause as much irritation to other passengers as possible without getting bollocked by a member of staff

:lol:<D;)

Listen to music, watch a film, internet can be patchy but I still try... Not much to do on a train nowadays now buffet cars are dissapearing! One day I'll treat myself to proper first class treatment (not like the usual upgrade to first class seating :|).

Shame they removed the tellys from 323s, are there any tellys left on trains?

At_traction

If on a previously uncharted territory within Greater London area, J. Brown's "London Railway Atlas" can't be beaten for following the track variations, abandoned station sites etc.

Now beat that for anorakism.
("And how many camels have you spotted so far?" "None.")

Otherwise seeing "scenery" or reading.

chris89

Established Member
Generally for me is listern to my Creative Zen, Text, Read a book or magazine and stare out of the window, and try and spot any steam tours etc.

Also have a walk to the shop car on the Wolvo - Scot journeys to stop my legs from dieing.

Chris

David

Established Member
When I'm on a train, I tend to fall asleep. Most times I wake up in time for my stop, but not always! :oops:

Zoe

Established Member
Look out for speed restrictions (permanent and temporary), signals and Engineer's Line References. So I always go for facing window seat on the left of the train. This is one reason I dislike Advance tickets and technically you have to sit in your reserved seat.

Railsigns

Established Member
Look out for speed restrictions (permanent and temporary), signals and Engineer's Line References. So I always go for facing window seat on the left of the train.

Likewise (apart from the ELRs) though more often than not, I'll choose a rear-facing right-hand seat, where you can get a better view of equipment on the opposite line (assuming it's double track) as well as crossovers and anything in the six-foot.

Zoe

Established Member
Likewise (apart from the ELRs) though more often than not, I'll choose a rear-facing right-hand seat, where you can get a better view of equipment on the opposite line (assuming it's double track) as well as crossovers and anything in the six-foot.
Ever seen anything wrong? I once saw the sequence Dalek ----- 20 Warning ------ 40 Warning ----- 20 ----- 40. The 40 warning should not have been there.

Railsigns

Established Member
Ever seen anything wrong? I once saw the sequence Dalek ----- 20 Warning ------ 40 Warning ----- 20 ----- 40. The 40 warning should not have been there.
Yeah, I could list several wrong things I've seen. One that springs to mind is the TSR commencement board at Stewarton showing 70 over 40 instead of 40 over 70.

And here's a Dalek and a portable AWS magnet that have been placed between a signal and its associated AWS magnet:

tsr-oops.jpg

I could go on...

Last edited:

caliwag

In my commuting days to the X, from York, I would study the Racing Post, which resulted in some damn good wins, including 3k share of the jackpot! But generally now, I just enjoy the sunrise/sunsets (Grantham area is always good)...with a cheeky wine of course.
Service is superb now on EC, though I never had problems in the old IC days, nor GNER.
Long live a nationalised railway...

jon0844

Veteran Member
When I'm on a train I'm generally driving it, so I tend to concentrate on that.

You're so boring!! :D

I either read Metro or Evening Standard (mostly to see how poor the journalism is!) or play with my phone, maybe watching a transferred TV show or film depending on the mood - with in-ear headphones that ensures nobody around me will even know I've got the sound on!

Sometimes I'll pull out my netbook and do some work or just surf the net - but my phone can do the surfing just as well and is a damn sight easier to use when there's no table.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Depends where I'm going. I usually travel to football matches by train, normally I take some stats, bit of knowledge about clubs involved and a book if I'm taking more than one train. Quite often I'll take a book and some coursework/homework then never usually do it!

No matter the journey if there is a metro I'll take one and read it. Also play on my phone and try to find out results on the way home from the Premier/Football League, local non-league from the Evo-stik League to Step 8 (Manchester League, Cheshire Football League).

If I'm not going to a football match, I'll look out of the window and see what there is out there, normally rain :lol:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
take pictures of stuff of interest (assuming opening window available / not going too fast)....

It's quite possible to get very good pictures through the double glazed windows on Mk3 stock even from quite high speeds - assuming, of course, that the window is clean! You have to be careful of reflections, though.

Anyway... what do I do on board?

Generally looking out of the window; I favour full window forward facing airline type seats on the right hand side. As above, sometimes I'll do landscape photos if the view and weather are both good enough.

If the train is stopped for a lengthy period of time for any reason, then I'll do a bit of reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.