• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do YOU look for in photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've been going to start this thread for several weeks now, so before I forget, here it is!

For weeks now, perhaps even months, I've been curious as to what other people go for when they're out photting. I'm not talking about different classes of motive power, far too subjective to discuss sensibly I think, although if it remains a sensible discussion on the pros and cons of particular classes for photography then let's have it.

What I'm curious about is more composure kind of things. What makes a good photo to you? I'm not wanting to just read generic things, I'm interested in what you as an individual thinks makes a good photo. Is there a particular location you like to go to where nature lays itself out ideally for photography, or one where linesiding is within an easy walk? Do you prefer ground-level photos or footbridge-height lineside photos? I could probably go on for a while with questions similar to these, so I hope you get the idea.

Part of the inspiration for this thread has come from numerous POTW rounds where I've had zero votes or just a couple. So I'm inspired to see what other people think makes a good photo. I know I've not long ago today made a post on someone else's thread saying about what one wishes to convey in a photo, so I've included an example of a photo I'm really glad came out the way it did, purely by accident too!

PaulBigland-inspiredphotooftheMMLst.jpg

I like this one a lot partly because I'm unlikely to ever get another shot of 379s at Atherstone, but partly because, after I looked at it on the laptop, I noticed the 390 coming into view too. If only I'd noticed it when I was videoing the 379s, I'd have known I was about to be bowled...

379003Atherstoneontest20thJune2011.jpg

This also caught my eye on the way home that night (20th June 2011):

DSCN5902.jpg

And an example of how what looked like a darn decent shot (non-tripod!) to me was ruined when the lights were pointed out by a more photography-orientated friend. Judge for yourselves:

DSCN2720.jpg

Anyway, I'll leave the floor open to you all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Something a bit different.
normal_P1060335.JPG

Or just something that catches my eye and looks like it might make a nice photo.
The majority of the time when using digital, very little thought actually goes into what I'm taking a photo of.
4306510974_f3584df79f_z.jpg

With film, I think about it a bit more.
5870154358_f92afe12d7_z.jpg

For weeks now, perhaps even months, I've been curious as to what other people go for when they're out photting.

Personally, it's very rare that I'll specifically go out to get photos of things, I just pretty much always carry my camera with me.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some funky shots there, and thanks for your insight. I rarely have my camera with me when I'm not out for the day on the rails, as I don't trust myself not to lose the thing on the way to/from work or at work.

HST Power

Established Member
When I'm out taking photographs, there's only one thing I need to go home with. Whether I'm on the Metro, the ECML, the Great Northern or wherever it is I end up, what matters to me is that I actually go home with something to remember the trip by. It could be a 365. It could be a HST. It could be anything, all that matters is to me is that I go home with photos that I'm pleased with, otherwise it was a waste of time, a waste of petrol and a waste of camera!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An extremely good point, no point going out if you've got nothing to look back on in years to come. Which is why I don't understand people who go out to pubs and so forth just to get wasted, but that's an entirely different thread!

HST Power

Established Member
AWhich is why I don't understand people who go out to pubs and so forth just to get wasted, but that's an entirely different thread!

It is indeed for another thread, but a valuable point.

All I will say regarding this matter is that at least we train spotters go home with some dignity, not a blurred mind, wrecked car and massive Police fine.

There's a fine line between a night out, and idiocy.

Tell that to the next person who says train spotting is for sad people.

wensley

Established Member
Don't know what people think of this....225 departing...err...York!!!
Tripod, ND filter, 1/3 exposure

Attachments

• wdylfwop.jpg
    wdylfwop.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 59

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It is indeed for another thread, but a valuable point.

All I will say regarding this matter is that at least we train spotters go home with some dignity, not a blurred mind, wrecked car and massive Police fine.

There's a fine line between a night out, and idiocy.

Tell that to the next person who says train spotting is for sad people.

So very true!

wensley: Quite a funky shot, I've never been able to get that sort of thing to work when I've tried it.

HST Power

Established Member
Wensley, that photograph is simply brilliant. I wish I could do that! You should set it as your picture, your profile views would hit the roof! :)

wensley

Established Member
Wensley, that photograph is simply brilliant. I wish I could do that! You should set it as your picture, your profile views would hit the roof! :)

Thanks for the kind comments...may take that up as an idea for a profile pic!!
It isn't that hard to do with the right gear.

Tripod is essential to remove camera shake with the slow shutter speed.
With a long exposure there is the risk of going 'white out' so it's best to do the shot when its getting dark.
Now I've looked again I didn't bother with a Neutral Density filter, simply dropped the ISO to 100 and upped the aperture to F11, I then slowed the shutter speed as far as I could and took some test shots to ensure not too bright/dark.
Manual focus allowed me to pick out the pillar, the rest was just composition really!!!

Same effect (non rail)

DSCF2076edit01.jpg

Here are a few more for you...would love to hear what people think!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
Thanks for the kind comments...may take that up as an idea for a profile pic!!

Glad you did! It works very well. :)

Having witnessed yet another batch of your excellent photography, I resulted to steal a blurred HST off the internet. A bit small, but it will do!

What camera are you using, can you give me a link? Cheers! :)

wensley

Established Member
Glad you did! It works very well. :)

Having witnessed yet another batch of your excellent photography, I resulted to steal a blurred HST off the internet. A bit small, but it will do!

What camera are you using, can you give me a link? Cheers! :)

I use a bridge camera, not a DSLR, a Fuji HS10.
Big brother has recently been released with a few more features (HS20)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ops.com/online.store/products/80071/show.html

It aint the best camera in the world but it suits me fine and for a bridge is exceptionally good for a variety of uses. The main thing is to not be afraid and have a play with the camera, all of these shots are self-taught effects.

As for your profile pic, I like it, suspect it was a photo with no blur when taken and has then been photoshopped...

HST Power

Established Member
I use a bridge camera, not a DSLR, a Fuji HS10.
Big brother has recently been released with a few more features (HS20)
http://www.jessops.com/online.store...ops.com/online.store/products/80071/show.html

It aint the best camera in the world but it suits me fine and for a bridge is exceptionally good for a variety of uses. The main thing is to not be afraid and have a play with the camera, all of these shots are self-taught effects.

As for your profile pic, I like it, suspect it was a photo with no blur when taken and has then been photoshopped...

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated, I might look into that one once I've got some money saved up.

My profile picture looks very much like a Photoshop job, I agree. Still, it worked rather nicely.

Established Member
Some of those photos are half decent ;)

Here is a 5-minute example of what can be achieved with some pretty simple photoshop skills....

Personally, I never bother with photoshop.
Partially, I just can't be bothered, and partially becuase I prefer them as I took them, regardless of how crap :lol:

HST Power

Established Member
I find Photoshop a bit tedious. Paint.Net is much easier, and it's free.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some decent shots there from posters so far, if I get the chance I'll give the blurred departure shot a try. Dunno if my Nikon Coolpix L10 will let me do too much messing about with the settings, although it'll be worth a look.

HST Power

Established Member
Might go dow to the lineside at Arelesy later. If I get a HST, I'll try to blur it. I'll see what I can do.

wensley

Established Member
That one isn't bad at all...shame you couldn't get out to give it a go yourself!!
Another photoshop job mind ;)

I'm off for a mega long day photographing at Barnetby tomorrow and will try and squeeze in some arty shots to upload on Thursday!

HST Power

Established Member
That one isn't bad at all...shame you couldn't get out to give it a go yourself!!
Another photoshop job mind ;)

I'm off for a mega long day photographing at Barnetby tomorrow and will try and squeeze in some arty shots to upload on Thursday!

Yes, it is a shame, but I'll be even more determined for next time!

A mega long day of photographing, that sounds good.

Enjoy! :)

The most likely time I'll be able to get some shots next is in early August, when I'm in Newcastle.

sprinterguy

Established Member
can i ask where they were both taken?
The second one is Conwy Castle if I'm not mistaken. I've been there myself and it offers some very interesting viewpoints for railway photography, what with the railway being right in the shadow of the castle.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Yep Conwy castle it is. The other one was somewhere random between Oxford and Banbury

Thank you.

I must admit that night/evenign shot is amazing i am a killer for shots like that. Low light photography is my absolute favourite.

Status
Not open for further replies.