• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you think are the ugliest buses ever built?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm puzzled by the panel above the window in front of the emergency exit - is it actually missing or an offside destination box (why?) without a destination blind fitted?

Looks like a broken "window". That's a particularly poor piece of the design - why have glass panels which are vulnerable to stone throwers for purely cosmetic reasons? Just paint it black.

I do like the interior of Streetlites, though, particularly the high curved roof which somehow makes them seem more "proper bus" than many similar vehicles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scosutsut

Was there ever a single-decker bearing the newer Wright design style - the one on the StreetDecks?
16 B8RLEs bodied with what I believe are known as Eclipse Urban 3s. 15 at East Coast Buses and 1 at Delaine.

I'm puzzled by the panel above the window in front of the emergency exit - is it actually missing or an offside destination box (why?) without a destination blind fitted?
I think it's a perfect example of recent Wright's build quality and it is in fact missing a bit! :D

fgwrich

Established Member
Looks like a broken "window". That's a particularly poor piece of the design - why have glass panels which are vulnerable to stone throwers for purely cosmetic reasons? Just paint it black.

I do like the interior of Streetlites, though, particularly the high curved roof which somehow makes them seem more "proper bus" than many similar vehicles.

Indeed, I agree with you on both counts. The arched curved roofline of the Streetlight's is rather impressive and almost cathedral like compared to the bog standard box on wheels from ADL (thankfully now improved with the MMC).

And looking at the picture closely, that certainly is missing a glass panel - if you look closely you can see the remains of the "glue" on the framework. Unsure if it's been deliberately removed than fallen off, but it hasn't been broken as there's no shards or remains of other glass left in it. Certainly the post above sum's up Wright's build quality of late. :lol:

PG

Established Member
And looking at the picture closely, that certainly is missing a glass panel - if you look closely you can see the remains of the "glue" on the framework. Unsure if it's been deliberately removed than fallen off, but it hasn't been broken as there's no shards or remains of other glass left in it. Certainly the post above sum's up Wright's build quality of late. :lol:
Build quality issues aside, why would you design it that way? Surely the only reason to use glass is to be able to see either in or out (or both) - that panel appears to do neither so why is it made of glass?

cnjb8

Established Member
16 B8RLEs bodied with what I believe are known as Eclipse Urban 3s. 15 at East Coast Buses and 1 at Delaine.

I think it's a perfect example of recent Wright's build quality and it is in fact missing a bit! :D
The Urban designation was just applied to the original Eclipse to distinguish it from the Metro, SchoolRun and Commuter variants. Upon the introduction of the second generation of Eclipses, the Urban designation was dropped so they were just called the Eclipse 2. So then the Eclipse Urban 3 you mentioned is just the Eclipse 3.
I quite like the look of the current and recent Wright buses.

Last edited:

PG

Established Member
Having taken a closer look at the original photo at source the white glue also appears on the red painted roofline. I'd suspect that at some time previously the panel has been removed (maybe after damage/breakage) and the operator has affixed a temporary replacement which has subsequently fallen off. Time for a proper repair job!

fgwrich

Established Member
Build quality issues aside, why would you design it that way? Surely the only reason to use glass is to be able to see either in or out (or both) - that panel appears to do neither so why is it made of glass?
That I can't answer for, it seems to have been a bit of a trend over the last 20 years or so largely with Mercedes Benz having producing the Citaro's this way. The downside of this is, once a vehicle changes route branding or livery, the outline is left on the black glass of the previous one. Something First seems to have wised to at Worcester, with black vinyl running along the length of the glass.

MotCO

Established Member

Given that various Wright double deckers have small windows as a weight saving measure, why are they adding weight to single deckers instead of using steel / aluminium?

Journeyman

Established Member
Any votes for the London Transport DMS? It was a very ungainly, brutal and boxy looking thing, with absolutely no concessions to good looks at all. The only thing which they managed to get right with it was the rear end, which to my mind looked neater and more integrated than most Fleetlines, where the engine compartment looked like an afterthought dangling off the back. I don't extend that concession to the B20 version, though!

The DMS always looked a lot worse than the Swifts and Merlins that came before it in my opinion. Although the body design is obviously very similar, the single dockers looked a little more graceful and better proportioned. I think it was helped by the rounded corners, more elegant roofline and things that broke up the acres of plain panelling, like the vents either side of the blind boxes.

Non Multi

In contemporary car design, it's to make the 'glasshouse' appear larger than it actually is. A lot of modern cars have fairly small rear window apertures, so the glass covers not only the opening but also the metal frame on either side to give the impression that it's a large window.

So it's probably just styling, in the same way chrome trim was used to make a vehicle look sleek and less plain.

RHolmes

My nomination has to be this East Lancs Volvo Citybus that ended up with the cowboy operator ‘Fairway’ and used on contract services that usually saw a minibus

I was also never a fan of the ex-London Scania Wright Pathfinders. The single front door and their rear end were terrible compared to their Dennis Lance sisters

I’d also put forward the rare to uk Neoplan N4009

And the N4016

And the ECW Olympian Coach

fgwrich

Established Member
I was also never a fan of the ex-London Scania Wright Pathfinders. The single front door and their rear end were terrible compared to their Dennis Lance sisters

And the ECW Olympian Coach

Wow, that is a bad conversion. I mean it's not as if they've even bothered to hide the second door properly either. And I thought some of the Stagecoach conversions were poor.

As for the ECW Olympian, they looked excellent when new in the NBC "Venetian Blinds" livery (though Eastern County's 20 shades of Avocado looked a little less good). A Very livery dependant vehicle I feel.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Sorry if already been mentioned but haven't trawled through this thread! Ikarus bodies DAFs would definitely be high up my list, seemed to lack any style and just designed using a set square.

Non Multi

Behold the majesty of the Yutong Citymaster!

Any votes for the London Transport DMS? It was a very ungainly, brutal and boxy looking thing, with absolutely no concessions to good looks at all. The only thing which they managed to get right with it was the rear end, which to my mind looked neater and more integrated than most Fleetlines, where the engine compartment looked like an afterthought dangling off the back. I don't extend that concession to the B20 version, though!

The DMS always looked a lot worse than the Swifts and Merlins that came before it in my opinion. Although the body design is obviously very similar, the single dockers looked a little more graceful and better proportioned. I think it was helped by the rounded corners, more elegant roofline and things that broke up the acres of plain panelling, like the vents either side of the blind boxes.
Each to their own, but I always thought that the DMS while boxy, they had their own charm and personally quite liked them, much nicer than the ECW bodies Bristol VR which I always thought was an ugly bus, especially the series 3.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Because it looks fancy, same as why you put glass backs on mobile phones when plastic would be more sensible.

mbonwick

Established Member
Wow, that is a bad conversion. I mean it's not as if they've even bothered to hide the second door properly either. And I thought some of the Stagecoach conversions were poor.

Does riveting a sheet of aluminium across the bottom half of the door, and a strip up the middle where they join count as a conversion??
At least Stagecoach conversions (and they had their share of bad ones!) removed the doors!

PG

Established Member
Because it looks fancy, same as why you put glass backs on mobile phones when plastic would be more sensible.
Just goes to show that often the maintenance dept. don't get a say in what the operator buys!

Does riveting a sheet of aluminium across the bottom half of the door, and a strip up the middle where they join count as a conversion??
IIRC those early London low floors used the middle door for wheelchair access and the front door is thus not wide enough for a wheelchair user. So that 'ahem' conversion would render the bus non accessible apart from looking like a right bodge job!

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member

Those single-decker B8RLEs look as if they are inspired by the older-type ADL Enviros but have headlight surrounds which remind me of those found on a Caetano CityGold of the sort owned by Carris (Lisbon, Portugal), such as 2802 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/101344196@N08/29666337268/. However I personally think that both the Caetano CityGold and the ADL Enviros (MMC and non) both look better than the Wright single-deckers in those pictures.

Dave

kez19

Established Member

if this has been posted and I missed it apologies .... but it looks more of an ice cream van!

PG

Established Member
Those single-decker B8RLEs look as if they are inspired by the older-type ADL Enviros but have headlight surrounds which remind me of those found on a Caetano CityGold of the sort owned by Carris (Lisbon, Portugal), such as 2802 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/101344196@N08/29666337268/. However I personally think that both the Caetano CityGold and the ADL Enviros (MMC and non) both look better than the Wright single-deckers in those pictures.

Dave
I think they look ok except for the headlight surrounds which remind me of the hideous Class 70s.

fgwrich

Established Member
At least Stagecoach conversions (and they had their share of bad ones!) removed the doors!
I think it loosely classes as a conversion, as it's rendered the centre door unusable. I remember some of the early Stagecoach conversions - Hampshire had a trident (one of the S-BWC batch) which externally looked like a single door variant, internally it had been panelled but had different seats, different flooring and the door control panel buttons left in the ceiling. While we had a number of the ex East London R-FOO reg darts in my town which were left with uncovered aluminium panelling where the former centre door was, and the coving panels too. They were unsurprisingly often cold inside!

Ant158

The Plaxton Primo is one bus type that just looks like a box on wheels. I always thought looking at one from the front that it could be going in either direction and somewhat out of proportion.
Holmeswood Plaxton Primos

RHolmes

Amazingly that’s actually the ‘second’ conversion that the particular bus had. This earlier version they had just panelled over the glass on each individual door, later realising that the doors would still move, rattle and could partially open when on the move which is apparently dangerous trait for a ‘standing/buggy area’

PG

Established Member
Amazingly that’s actually the ‘second’ conversion that the particular bus had. This earlier version they had just panelled over the glass on each individual door, later realising that the doors would still move, rattle and could partially open when on the move which is apparently dangerous trait for a ‘standing/buggy area’

Wow, that's a serious slip up IMHO. A driver thinking they're driving a single door bus only to see in the nearside mirror someone sticking arms/legs/head out of the middle of the bus :o

Eyersey468

Established Member
PCL Travel KX08 OLB by kieron mathews, on Flickr

here’s another one I particularly don’t like the look of, the Plaxton Primo. It looks like it’s had half of its rear chopped off.
We had 6 of them, they were not well liked by staff, so much vibration all the time and a number of aspects of the design hadn't been thought through eg the door or the mirrors being in a stupid place, the one good bit about the design was the tiny rear overhang

JetBlast

The Designline Olymbus electric buses used on the Quaylink services by Stagecoach before Go North East took it over are definitely up there.

I have seen one of these (if not very similar) in Adelaide. Very ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.