• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What do you think are the ugliest buses ever built?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I cant remember if these were mentioned yet, but another nomination for another Scania / East Lanc's contraption (N112CRB).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I cant remember if these were mentioned yet, but another nomination for another Scania / East Lanc's contraption (N112CRB).

Think it need to bleach my eyes after looking at that....

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There was also this from East Lancs. How and why did they manage to build so many ugly vehicles?
I think we all know where ELC got inspiration for 90% of their designs...
eagle-new-1.jpg

kez19

Established Member
I nominate these, they do look boxy? (all posts credit to photographers) i'm 50/50 on them from pictures.

I'll nominate even one from my own area at the time....

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
I nominate these, they do look boxy? (all posts credit to photographers) i'm 50/50 on them from pictures.

I'll nominate even one from my own area at the time....

The Yutongs look much better without the long length battery (not my photo)

hst43102

Wow, that thing looks awful, especially as a train. I can't imagine it would be a very smooth ride on the rails either!
I don't think the Yutong buses are ugly as much as looking like a 10 year old, out of date, design. Completely the opposite of other electric buses such as the ADL/BYD or Volvo offerings, or these which can be found in continental Europe (not my photos).

Speaking of ugly, the Solaris bus on the bottom here is *ahem* unconventional styling-wise!

kez19

Established Member
Wow, that thing looks awful, especially as a train. I can't imagine it would be a very smooth ride on the rails either!

I don't think the Yutong buses are ugly as much as looking like a 10 year old, out of date, design. Completely the opposite of other electric buses such as the ADL/BYD or Volvo offerings, or these which can be found in continental Europe (not my photos).

Speaking of ugly, the Solaris bus on the bottom here is *ahem* unconventional styling-wise!

They all have that "box" design look to me, don't get me wrong I have seen a few of the Merc buses ie Lothian and they look alright inside

I have seen that bus around Aberdeen once, its not ugly but it does look like a bus that makes no sense!

from behind...looks like a Leyland Tiger from the back (or was the design to look like it?)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The problem with electrics is that they all look like a double decker that's had an argument with a tree, because you need the higher roof for the batteries. Not sure of the solution there - I guess we'll just get used to it.

As for double deckers which actually did have an argument with something and get converted...

49932141796_3df96122cc.jpg

Single deck Atlantean conversion

SteveyBee131

I have seen that bus around Aberdeen once, its not ugly but it does look like a bus that makes no sense!

from behind...looks like a Leyland Tiger from the back (or was the design to look like it?)
Ah yes! Wright's attempt at a bus that thinks it's a coach. I'd completely forgot about this!

Erm, how can I put this politely?

What on earth were they thinking when they came up with it?!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Goodness knows regarding the design, though that kind of vehicle is common in mainland Europe on regional services (stuff like the Oxford-Bedford X5 or the MK-Luton 99) rather than using a bus or a proper coach, and they seem to manage not to make them look stupid like that does.

kez19

Established Member
Ah yes! Wright's attempt at a bus that thinks it's a coach. I'd completely forgot about this!

Erm, how can I put this politely?

I'm also going to maybe say or is it ask? Are some of these buses possibly prototypes or like some above recycled?. I ask in reason prototype as the one I posted and the other the Plaxton Pronto? As you don't see the major bus companies buying in a lot of them?

Richard Scott

Established Member
The problem with electrics is that they all look like a double decker that's had an argument with a tree, because you need the higher roof for the batteries. Not sure of the solution there - I guess we'll just get used to it.

As for double deckers which actually did have an argument with something and get converted...

49932141796_3df96122cc.jpg

Single deck Atlantean conversion
Wasn't there an Ailsa converted as well, think that was due to decapitation? Not sure it ran in service as certification was too expensive. Sure Black Prince had it? If I remember it was also quite hideous to look at. Also seem to remember some Atlanteans or maybe Fleetlines were rebodied by East Lancs as single deckers and wouldn't have won any beauty prizes or have I made that up?

Last edited:

Statto

Established Member
Wasn't there an Ailsa converted as well, think that was due to decapitation? Not sure it ran in service as certification was too expensive. Sure Black Prince had it? If I remember it was also quote hideous to look at. Also seem to remember some Atlanteans or maybe Fleetlines were rebodied by East Lancs as single deckers and wouldn't have won any beauty prizes or have I made that up?

Just found it

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The only reason those Alexander AL/AV conversions look so odd is because of the shallow windows. If they'd had windows that were the same height as the RH/RV I doubt they'd look so bad.

kez19

Established Member
I'll go with the Dennis Darts however.... (there is probably more than these in reality and varied over the years...)

1994 - verdict: nah...

maybe late 00s?? (picture is updated livery), its OK.

2014 upgrade(?) ... just looks weird at front, but didn't know the darts had been revived again! (headlights and the screen display part just look weird compared to previous sets as above)

Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
Personally I rather like the Plaxton Pointer and Pointer 2 - not outstanding pieces of design, but certainly not bad either.

The bottom picture @kez19 is a Caetano Nimbus body, which I agree is pretty awful, but a slight improvement on its predecessor, the Caetano Compass.

However, the worst Dart body is surely the split screen Wright Handybus;

mbonwick

Established Member
I don't think the EL2000 looks as bad as people make out - it just didn't age well as liveries changed and were updated.
The Dart didn't wear the EL2000 particularly well, but larger vehicles did slightly better

kez19

Established Member
Personally I rather like the Plaxton Pointer and Pointer 2 - not outstanding pieces of design, but certainly not bad either.

The bottom picture @kez19 is a Caetano Nimbus body, which I agree is pretty awful, but a slight improvement on its predecessor, the Caetano Compass.

However, the worst Dart body is surely the split screen Wright Handybus;

I take it back regarding saying the Yutongs looking "boxy" but that dart you highlighted is next level! :D:D

Didn't realise thats what the "upgraded" body of a Dart was... a Caetano Nimbus.

In relation to Darts was there a longer single decker made by them does anyone remember? I remember when Xplore had them they didn't have much power to get off the ground? I was looking on Flickr but can't find one!

eventually found one..

Last edited:

RHolmes

The Alexander East Lancs Royaleoneer

Non Multi

I don't think the EL2000 looks as bad as people make out - it just didn't age well as liveries changed and were updated.
The Dart didn't wear the EL2000 particularly well, but larger vehicles did slightly better
I think this one would frighten small children:

East Lancs EL2000 B10M

mbonwick

Established Member
I think this one would frighten small children:

East Lancs EL2000 B10M
Only because it's in need of a good clean, some TLC and probably paint. Which is excusable seeing as it was for scrapping, but was dragged back into service as emergency cover when Carlisle depot was flooded out.
Compare to what Alexander were offering on the B10M at the time (the PS was only just coming to market - and in comparison is an outstanding bit of design!)

SC%2020401%20E61JFV%20at%20Oxford%20Horspath%20Dvr%20Tng%20310806%20M%20Crowe.jpg

Source: Oxford & Chiltern bus page

PG

Established Member
Also seem to remember some Atlanteans or maybe Fleetlines were rebodied by East Lancs as single deckers and wouldn't have won any beauty prizes or have I made that up?
Here you go, an AN68/1R Atlantean, I thought it looked a lot better than your average 'Decker v. Bridge' single deck conversion.
Photo: Alan Sansbury.

EDIT:
I knew I remembered a better, IMHO, rebodied Atlantean. Northern Counties did a better go at it as can be seen below.
Photo: Walsall1955.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.