• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What Does This Noise Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperVoyager

Hello, while on a Pendolino or Voyager i have heard this noise a few times.. and on bve it does it..
does any one know what it means or does? cheerz

how do i attatch a voice recording? it ses invalid file type.. its a wav im trying to attctch

cheerz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
Upload it to your web server and link to there.

1D53

Established Member
Its a crew call, doesn't do anything really, you can turn it off by pressing - (minus) on the numberpad.

1D53

Established Member
Yeah, normally crew to contact driver etc. Passenger alarm sounds similar.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That noise serves as a tool for the train crew to cause maximum irritation to already annoyed passengers who have had to listen to an announcement for the preceding 5 minutes about the "grrrrrreat cheeseburgers" avaliable in the onboard shop.

Gizmogle

Established Member
I HATE that damn noise!

Although what confuses me is that I've heard it (on two seperate occasions) being played constantly, and then an announcement telling passengers that the assitance button in the loo doesn't flush it.

I know that the passenger alarm is similar, but it was definately the crew call.

1D53

Established Member
The tones are very very similar between crew and passenger alarms.

The clips were online at one point but cant find them.

Gizmogle

Established Member
IIRC though one is kind of inverted. Goes from high to low instead of low to high.

I can't remember at the moment, but yeah...

AlexS

Established Member
The crew call is 3 beeps repeated, a sort of mockery of the oldstyle 3-3 buzzer 'Driver Requiring Guard', different tones mean either Catering staff required or Guard required or driver required.

The passenger alarm is 2 beeps repeated going Low High.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I often end up explaining to fellow passengers what the Voyager jingles mean, and unsurprisingly end up with a confused look from the other persons face..

Jordy

Established Member
I'm sure Max will remember one pre-christmas Hull trains trip, arriving into Hull on a 222, the crew played some kind of tune with these different alerts! :lol:

Gizmogle

Established Member
That goes off generally when I'm trying to concentrate in the quiet zone :p

Mushroom

So does anyone know what The crew call, but with longer tones means, instead of just bleep, its beeeeep, beeeeep, beeeeeep?

driver9000

Established Member
So does anyone know what The crew call, but with longer tones means, instead of just bleep, its beeeeep, beeeeep, beeeeeep?

If your refering to Voyagers and it sounds in a 1-2 fashion, it is the guard giving the driver the bell/buzzer code to close the doors, the driver should repeat the signal back. Not applicable on 390s.

This code isnt used on most TOCs, we definitely dont use it on Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.