• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what is an all line rover ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
It's a ticket that gives you unlimited travel across the UK (with some time restrictions).
Not all of the UK, you can't use it in Northern Ireland.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Indeed, if it was even half the price of a 7-day ALR it'd be cheaper than a lot of intercity day returns. Likely to become very popular with busines travellers.

Restricting use before 0900 might be an option.

Crossover

Established Member
Whilst you are a child, it is probably the best time to do an FC ALR, as otherwise is gets ridiculously expensive until you have a Senior Citizens railcard! The 16-25 railcard doesn't attract a FC discount, unfortunately

Butts

Veteran Member
Whilst you are a child, it is probably the best time to do an FC ALR, as otherwise is gets ridiculously expensive until you have a Senior Citizens railcard! The 16-25 railcard doesn't attract a FC discount, unfortunately

Is this because students would be more likely to use it aka (eurorail) and there are probably more 16-25 ones in circulation (hence more costly) than any other type of railcard :p

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I'm considering doing an ALR at some point when I have a spare week or 2, mainly because I can get it PRIV discounted which makes it much more worthwhile (yes I know some people will suggest that I can travel free if I ask the guard ... but I'd rather be official!)

What is frustrating is that for a 1st Class ALR on PRIV, the PRIV-holder has to have a 1st Class PRIV, which I don't have, so it looks like I'll be missing out on all the 1st Class luxuries as I'm not prepared to splash out for the full-priced one!

RJ

Established Member
I'm considering doing an ALR at some point when I have a spare week or 2, mainly because I can get it PRIV discounted which makes it much more worthwhile (yes I know some people will suggest that I can travel free if I ask the guard ... but I'd rather be official!)

What is frustrating is that for a 1st Class ALR on PRIV, the PRIV-holder has to have a 1st Class PRIV, which I don't have, so it looks like I'll be missing out on all the 1st Class luxuries as I'm not prepared to splash out for the full-priced one!

You wouldn't be getting them anyway as Priv and staff pass holders are generally not allowed to accept the full service.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You wouldn't be getting them anyway as Priv and staff pass holders are generally not allowed to accept the full service.

I'm assuming that if it was on the weekend (or BH) then you could use Weekend 1st with a discounted rover - to be fair though the food/drink on offer may not be the same as the weekday selection.

RJ

Established Member
Yes, but staff are generally allowed to accept what's on offer on weekends anyway, except perhaps for the sandwiches that East Coast offer.

I remember when I did my FC ALR a few weeks ago and boarded the 05:27 off Euston on a weekday, so full service offering. After I had a conversation with my then colleages (been and done the CSA/Service Manager role) I had to call them back as they didn't offer me anything other than tea/coffee. Then I produced the £680 ticket and they were shocked :p Very nice breakfast it was too! Other TOCs just don't have the variety and cater poorly for those of us who are not fans of the "Full English" breakfast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.