• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is everyone's favourite branch of The Underground

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Favourite Part of The Underground is The Metropolitan single line from Chalfont and Latimer To Chesham I like the fact that a an A60 stock Train runs on a scenic rural Branch line

I also like the Hainult loop on the Central line Fantastic for train riding

The District line has the worse service though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
My Favourite Part of The Underground is The Metropolitan single line from Chalfont and Latimer To Chesham I like the fact that an A60 stock Train runs on a scenic rural Branch line
S Stock appear occasionally now too.

(noted: your comment about the District !!)

bengley

Established Member
The Chesham branch is easily one of the most scenic branch lines on the underground, if not in the entire south east of the country.

Johnny Lewis

Although it has long since ceased to be part of LUL, I loved travelling between Epping and Ongar. It was so incongruous to be in a sleepy village, yet be confronted by the LT roundel at Ongar station. North Weald was even better - it was completely rural!

I also love the Met, especially when speeding past Jubilee line trains on a fast service to Moor Park.

The Drain, aka Waterloo & City Line still holds a fascination though, especially the way it pretends to be a big important line, complete with route maps!

Oswyntail

Established Member
I have a soft spot for the High Barnet branch of the Northern, having commuted from Barnet to London Bridge for two years a couple of decades ago. Particularly pleasant was the burst into light at Finchley after all the subterranean rumblings. And the archer!

Established Member
Victoria line. Especially the fast section between Kings Cross and Seven Sisters.

EirikhO

Mill Hill and Ealing Bwy (District), if I can select one with small and one with proper trains :)

317 forever

Established Member
I have a soft spot for the High Barnet branch of the Northern, having commuted from Barnet to London Bridge for two years a couple of decades ago. Particularly pleasant was the burst into light at Finchley after all the subterranean rumblings. And the archer!

Indeed, as a teenager East Finchley, and Golders Green on the Edgware branch, were two of my favourite Underground stations. I therefore discovered London bus route 102 before many other outer London bus routes!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
anywhere on the met really. But Chesham is the most scenic, rural and unlike anything else so if I have to pick one I will go for that. But only on an A stock !

By the way we saw some young tube bashers at oxford circus yesterday. Didn't know there were any!

SteamontheMet

Mill Hill East & Chesham I love both for being single track branches, One of which is rural and the other for going over the highest Viaduct on the LU really Slowly.

I really did enjoy the East London Line before 2006/7 when it had A stocks, Abit grotty but enriched in History not changed since the 1800's and early 1900's

12CSVT

Established Member
By the way we saw some young tube bashers at oxford circus yesterday. Didn't know there were any!

I think there will probably be quite a few bashers getting their last trips on 1967 stock and A stock over the next few months before they are all withdrawn. Last month I spent a day bashing A stock (clocking up well over 200 miles in the process), travelling on all parts of the Metropolitan Line using a 1-9 travelcard. And the Chesham branch is the most scenic part of the Underground network in my view.

d1015fan

went on all of dlr this week and was impressed with it. nice views of the river, airport and barrier and a fast run through the tunnels into lewisham if I remember

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
went on all of dlr this week and was impressed with it. nice views of the river, airport and barrier and a fast run through the tunnels into lewisham if I remember

Although not technically an LU line, I also enjoy the DLR - it's changed beyond recognition since my last ride though, and it's on my list to do next time I go down to London.

In terms on the Underground itself, I also love the northern end of the Metropolitan, and the Chesham branch in particular. I also like the Piccadilly line extensions from the 1930s for the station architecture in particular.

Daimler

Established Member
As almost everyone has said, the Chesham branch really is lovely - though now that it's operated by through trains from London, it feels a little less sleepy and forgotten, which is a shame (though probably not for people who live in Chesham!).

Ivo

Established Member
The Chesham branch feels so different to everything else on the Underground, and even most of the rest of the Met. As scenery goes, it is in a league of its own. Although most of the Met beyond roughly Northwood is good (have not yet done Chalfont & Latimer to Amersham though, so can't comment on that).

CCF23

anywhere on the met really. But Chesham is the most scenic, rural and unlike anything else so if I have to pick one I will go for that. But only on an A stock !

do you remember what these people looked like ?

i and a load of others (all young teens) go tube bashing most weekends mainly on 1967 stock and A stock :P

it could have been me lol

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The A stock at speed is nowhere near as bouncy as the French Z5100 class ( extinct for about 15 years now unfortunately ) were at speed... Obviously that wasn't on UK metals, but even so...

Status
Not open for further replies.