• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the best advice for a new, trainee driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALPAL

If you wish you knew one thing before embarking on the training, or wish you could do one thing differently, or did something that made learning so much more efficient, what was it?

Looks like I may be starting very soon and interested to hear about your thoughts as drivers or trainee drivers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Do not read ahead (rule book), if you don’t understand something then ask (no such thing as a stupid question), read your written notes each night to help reinforce what you were taught that day. Sorry, I know that’s three things!

Jlob2804

I'd defo second don't read ahead. Just focus on what you are learning at the time and the tests module by module.

driver9000

Established Member
Don't read ahead (the course is structured to cover everything in a set order). Engage with the course, ask questions if you're unsure of anything, pay attention because some of it can be complex and revise because those assessments come quickly and frequently.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Keep an open mind.
Learn with your peers (WhatsApp groups are popular)
Good clear notes (I rewrote mine every day)
Ask questions if you arent sure.
Be prepared for a classroom mindset.
Devote the next two years of your life to the railway. (It can be a long journey to Driver)

Skoodle

I've seen a fair few people come in with the mindset "I've got the job, hard bit's done", and they're the ones who struggle the most. You need to put in the hard work now through training and concentrate on that in order to have a successful career. It's not something you can just say I'll wing it and be alright. You'll be taught everything from scratch and the courses are designed for people with absolutely zero railway background. If you're struggling with understanding something or it's just not clicking, let the trainers know. Everyone has different learning styles and it will be easier for them to know so they can come at a concept from a different way, don't just pretend to understand. This is potentially a career for the rest of your working life, so if you do all you can now to be successful, it'll make it all the much easier once you pass out.

whoosh

Established Member
Be prepared to be messed about with working hours until you are passed out and on your own. You may find you are moved DIs (Driver Instructor - the practical handling bit) last minute if your regular one is on leave for example. And then you might get swapped to yet another DI instead of the one you thought you were going to have that week!

Enjoy yourself. Enjoy gaining knowledge, the camaraderie of your fellow trainees in the classroom, and the funny stories from days gone by that you'll no doubt end up hearing from your DI or from other Drivers in messrooms.

wobman

On Moderation
There's no such thing as a stupid question

Listen to your instructors and trainers

Leave your ego at home and have an open mind to new things

Arrogance will be your downfall

If you wish you knew one thing before embarking on the training, or wish you could do one thing differently, or did something that made learning so much more efficient, what was it?

Looks like I may be starting very soon and interested to hear about your thoughts as drivers or trainee drivers!
What ever you do don't mention any theory of motion maths or physics principles, not to any ordinary level ; the lords and masters frown on it. They prefer to use phrases like "my wheels picked up" to illustrate the coefficient of static friction.

You will find some RAIB reports of interest, from an operational learning point slant. The reports will sometimes detail maths and physics principles. I believe if a driver is criticised by such methods they should understand it. Interesting how potential new drivers mention GCSE qualifications. That was never the case back in the day.

Anyway good luck to you all.

Last edited:

Bigfoot

Don’t ask a what if question on a Friday afternoon…. ;)
Always ask whatever the day of the week. If you need to ask then you don't understand the subject and need clarification.
Don't listen to the miserable old farts in the messroom.
The age old I've gone more miles in reverse than you have forward will be said many times sometimes in jest and others will be serious. Some things the old timers say are useful and lots of it is rubbish. You'll soon work out what is what.
Be prepared to be messed about with working hours until you are passed out and on your own. You may find you are moved DIs (Driver Instructor - the practical handling bit) last minute if your regular one is on leave for example. And then you might get swapped to yet another DI instead of the one you thought you were going to have that week!
This! Be flexible, you'll get more out of it.
There's no such thing as a stupid question

Listen to your instructors and trainers

Leave your ego at home and have an open mind to new things

Arrogance will be your downfall
Couldn't agree more.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Interesting how potential new drivers mention GCSE qualifications. That was never the case back in the day.

The Apprentiship has changed the game a little. Because it needs Basic Maths and English and some requiring IT. Some TOCs have now added it as an entry requirement.

Yes, you can do functional skills but that comes at a cost to the TOC which, by the looks, will slowly be deferred to the applicant.

The Apprentiship has changed the game a little. Because it needs Basic Maths and English and some requiring IT. Some TOCs have now added it as an entry requirement.

Yes, you can do functional skills but that comes at a cost to the TOC which, by the looks, will slowly be deferred to the applicant.
Many of us that came in on the driver 2000 scheme, starting second careers, had to have O levels before starting engineering training/apprenticeships, back in the early 80s'. I wondered when qualifications would become a requirement.

It's good to see younger drivers, but one day they might become lemon slice old farts.

Last edited:

LCC106

Established Member
DO listen to people in the messroom when they talk about incidents. Try to understand what has happened and why, then use that learning to stay safe yourself.

dctraindriver

Always ask whatever the day of the week. If you need to ask then you don't understand the subject and need clarification.

The age old I've gone more miles in reverse than you have forward will be said many times sometimes in jest and others will be serious. Some things the old timers say are useful and lots of it is rubbish. You'll soon work out what is what.

This! Be flexible, you'll get more out of it.

Couldn't agree more.
I think the wink was enough to suggest I wasn’t being serious.

DO listen to people in the messroom when they talk about incidents. Try to understand what has happened and why, then use that learning to stay safe yourself.
Really good advice.

Kendo

Best bit of advice for a trainee is simple put the effort in and you'll be totally fine..... also keep your head down trainers and tocs will quickly mark your card if you think you know it all. Training is designed for you to pass

Eccles1983

On Moderation
What ever you do don't mention any theory of motion maths or physics principles, not to any ordinary level ; the lords and masters frown on it. They prefer to use phrases like "my wheels picked up" to illustrate the coefficient of static friction.

You will find some RAIB reports of interest, from an operational learning point slant. The reports will sometimes detail maths and physics principles. I believe if a driver is criticised by such methods they should understand it. Interesting how potential new drivers mention GCSE qualifications. That was never the case back in the day.

I don't know why you continue to push this.

But for absolute clarity - there is no meaningful point in trainee or even qualified drivers studying physics or maths principles. None. It adds nothing except confusion when applying driving methods.

No matter how much you go on about it the RDG, RSSB and TOC/FOC's are not interested in delivering it.

Part A training is to develop drivers. Not scientists or engineers.

As for advice for trainee drivers - leave your ego and 99% of your old job at the door. Even if you were a guard/dispatcher. It means nothing.

Follow the course modules, and speak up if you do not understand something. The Part A is layered, if you fail to cement the knowledge at the start you are building knowledge on a base of sand.

Enjoy it, have a laugh with your class and trainer. Get them something nice when you leave....

LCC106

Established Member
As a qualified driver we talk about wheel slide and wheel slip. A basic understanding is all that’s needed. I think we’re straying a bit now.

ALPAL

Oh yes and never try to drive with an upset stomach!
I did wonder about this one, luckily I have an iron clad stomach but sure it will one day be an issue.

Thanks all so far! It’s making me more confident seeing things I want to see, like leaving arrogance at home.

Danetime

I believe all new train drivers (from my understanding) have to go through a train driver level 3 apprenticeship through the government in partnership with Exeter College. Ideally to gain Maths, English and ICT to level 2 (GCSE C or Grade 4). Then after pass out we have to sit an exam with chartered institute of railway operators (CIRO). More to it that that but that's the brief version.

Currently going through the apprenticeship with GWR based at Exeter St Davids. Hindsight after waiting in the talent pool for a few years I would or brushed up on my Maths and English. Even perhaps try doing functional skills Maths, English and ICT in my own time as they are quite obtainable and getting that would allow me to exempt from the exams next week.

If I don't pass I will have to try again later in the year but I would rather not have that hanging over my head while trying to learning everything else.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The physics and maths discussions have gone way off-topic here and some posts have been removed. If people wish to discuss the relevancy of these skills to drivers, please create a new thread.

ALPAL

Currently going through the apprenticeship with GWR based at Exeter St Davids. Hindsight after waiting in the talent pool for a few years I would or brushed up on my Maths and English. Even perhaps try doing functional skills Maths, English and ICT in my own time as they are quite obtainable and getting that would allow me to exempt from the exams next week.

Hey Dane, thanks for the response. I have my GCSE in Maths, English and ICT all at C grade or above. Would I be exempt from those types of exams as a result? Believe my TOC was only taking on people with these GCSEs or higher level education in these topics.

wobman

On Moderation
All new TFW trainee drivers are also completing an apprenticeship now, it's an NVQ level 3 qualification and it's set up with a Welsh University. The tocs get a grant apparently to cover the costs of the scheme.

Danetime

Hey Dane, thanks for the response. I have my GCSE in Maths, English and ICT all at C grade or above. Would I be exempt from those types of exams as a result? Believe my TOC was only taking on people with these GCSEs or higher level education in these topics.

Yes you would be exempt from taking these tests but you will still need to go through a "refresher" but that will only take a day with no test. There are other parts to the apprenticeship but they are not that taxing (I believe). As long as you can find the certificates that is! The ICT one can be the tricky one as they only accept certain ones.

I would say though the tutors we have had so far and the members of the team from Exeter College are great. They have relaxed a lot of us from panicking about the tests.
All new TFW trainee drivers are also completing an apprenticeship now, it's an NVQ level 3 qualification and it's set up with a Welsh University. The tocs get a grant apparently to cover the costs of the scheme.

Yes sort of true. As companies over a certain size have to pay a apprenticeship levy. So TOC's are claiming that money back via grants and putting staff through apprenticeships (what the money is there for) and covering the some of the cost of training e.g wages.

However they can only claim back £21000 per apprenticeship which does cover a large portion of the salary but part of that new drivers have to go to college. Good news is though we get a student discount card for 3 years and city centre parking :D

Bad news pass out is expected to over 16 months now. Wasn't too sure how long training normally last though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.