• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is 'the' cheapest train ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

block6panger

I've had a search on the forum but to no avail.

What is the cheapest single in the country?

If there is a thread on this already then apologies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've had a search on the forum but to no avail.
The vBulletin search isn't great (unless you know what you're looking for) but Google works well.
What is the cheapest single in the country?

If there is a thread on this already then apologies.
Just a few.... ;)

And it most recently cropped up 6 weeks ago, the answer posted by soil:

Would a child CDS from Matlock Bath to Matlock not further reduce this cost to a mere 30p?

Swirlz

Lichfield City to Lichfield Trent Valley, Child PRIV £0.05!

That said, some £0.01 SEASON tickets exist, presumably for internal purposes.
http://www.brfares.com/#fares?orig=CTR&dest=I786&rlc= &expert=on
http://www.brfares.com/#fares?orig=J238&dest=J777&rlc= &expert=on
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...=on&flow=1&multi=0&fare=8&rte=0&ldn=0&tkt=SZ7

And, with great interrogation(!), the only £0.00 fare I can find:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...=on&flow=0&multi=0&fare=0&rte=0&ldn=0&tkt=PWS

Last edited:

JoeGJ1984

And I've spotted here three 5p fares between Wimlsow and Manchester Piccadilly - PCS COMP STANDARD, PCS COMP FIRST and TVS TRAVELLER (the latter costing 5p for an Adult but £5 for a child! WTF). Nothing seems to indicate that I could not use one of these if I wanted to travel from Wilmslow to Manchester Piccadilly (other than the route VIRGIN TRAINS ONLY). Is anyone able to enlighten me what these are all about?

Swirlz

And I've spotted here three 5p fares between Wimlsow and Manchester Piccadilly - PCS COMP STANDARD, PCS COMP FIRST and TVS TRAVELLER (the latter costing 5p for an Adult but £5 for a child! WTF). Nothing seems to indicate that I could not use one of these if I wanted to travel from Wilmslow to Manchester Piccadilly (other than the route VIRGIN TRAINS ONLY). Is anyone able to enlighten me what these are all about?

I imagine COMP stands for complimentary, and I imagine the 5p is just a nominal amount.

Probably for competition winners or people eligible for free travel etc, possibly even those travel agent deal packages you see in the paper.

6Gman

Established Member
I imagine COMP stands for complimentary, and I imagine the 5p is just a nominal amount.

Probably for competition winners or people eligible for free travel etc, possibly even those travel agent deal packages you see in the paper.

I think COMP could be compensation or complimentary or complaint.

Pretty sure I saw it on an e-mail offering me a free return ticket following a complaint.

MKB

TVS Traveller are free weekend tickets on Virgin Trains for Virgin Traveller members. You get one free journey per weekend for up to two adults. Children can be added for £5 each. virgintrains.co.uk/traveller

southern442

Established Member
Technically there are some trains in the uk (funiculars) where you don't have to buy a ticket
:)

RJ

Established Member
You wouldn't want to get hold of one of them. ;)

I used to give those tickets out to people (albeit for one of the TOCs I've worked for, not SWT) when I issued Penalty Fares. They exist with the intention that the price will be overridden to the amount of the Penalty Fare that has been paid on the spot.

causton

Established Member
I used to give those tickets out to people (albeit for one of the TOCs I've worked for, not SWT) when I issued Penalty Fares. They exist with the intention that the price will be overridden to the amount of the Penalty Fare that has been paid on the spot.

What do they look like? What do they say on them? And are they issued on 9299/PEN or 9599/PEN stock?

Eagle

Established Member
Technically there are some trains in the uk (funiculars) where you don't have to buy a ticket
:)

There are some journeys on National Rail where you don't have to buy a ticket, namely Heathrow Central to Heathrow T5, or Heathrow Central to Heathrow T4.

(However the same journeys on the tube cost normally.)

dvboy

Established Member

greatkingrat

Established Member
There are some journeys on National Rail where you don't have to buy a ticket, namely Heathrow Central to Heathrow T5, or Heathrow Central to Heathrow T4.

Actually the Piccadilly line between the Heathrow terminals is now free as well (but only if you have an Oyster card).

thedbdiboy

Technically, you are off the National Rail network once the Heathrow route branches off the GWML. As it was built privately by BAA it wasn't included in the core network subject to National Rail franchising, conditions etc.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Also, if you don't have to buy a ticket, then you cannot have the 'cheapest' ticket as you have no ticket at all (unless you are issued with an actual ticket free of charge...)

causton

Established Member
Where is 9599/PEN stock used?

Oops! When usually referring to ticket stock I include 9299 and 9599 just to avoid somebody referencing that the other exists! However I forgot to engage my brain and didn't realise that 9599/PEN wouldn't exist as you would only get /PEN from an Avantix! My bad :P

Eagle

Established Member
Technically, you are off the National Rail network once the Heathrow route branches off the GWML. As it was built privately by BAA it wasn't included in the core network subject to National Rail franchising, conditions etc.

Actually, you're not. You're off the Network Rail system, but it's still a National Rail service. Same goes for the Chiltern and London Overground services that use TfL infrastructure, or Southeastern on HS1.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Actually, you're not. You're off the Network Rail system, but it's still a National Rail service. Same goes for the Chiltern and London Overground services that use TfL infrastructure, or Southeastern on HS1.

Heathrow Express has its own conditions of carriage and is a private railway from Hayes & Harlington to Heathrow. It even has its own blue tickets.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Child Priv Wendover - Haddenham & Thame Parkway used to be £0.00 at one stage but the issue has now been fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.