• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the commute from Ascot to Syon Lane like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessica33

Hi everyone,

Been offered a role at a company near to Syon Lane railway station. I live in Ascot, about 5-10 minute walk from the station.

Most of the journeys seem to say about 45 minutes (with one change)... some of the earlier ones, around 0630 HRS take about 1hr 10mins due to the timings of the change.

It seems to be fairly flexible, e.g. sometimes you can change at Virginia Water, Egham, Staines, Feltham, Twickenham and join the other train at different points.

This is purely overground. Any idea on how easy this journey may be at say 0700 HRS there and around 1800 HRS back?

I would try this journey myself however I don't have the time to take off work and to fit this in at present.

Thanks,
Jess

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Been offered a role at a company near to Syon Lane railway station. I live in Ascot, about 5-10 minute walk from the station.

Most of the journeys seem to say about 45 minutes (with one change)... some of the earlier ones, around 0630 HRS take about 1hr 10mins due to the timings of the change.

It seems to be fairly flexible, e.g. sometimes you can change at Virginia Water, Egham, Staines, Feltham, Twickenham and join the other train at different points.

This is purely overground. Any idea on how easy this journey may be at say 0700 HRS there and around 1800 HRS back?

I would try this journey myself however I don't have the time to take off work and to fit this in at present.

Thanks,
Jess
I am not familiar with the area, however, some thoughts:

1) Commutes involving a change are always worse than those which don't - even if the journey time is identical or even shorter with the change. This is because when there is disruption, there is far greater potential for your journey to make you late in either direction. It is simply not fun when you can make part of your journey just fine but not the rest, take it from me!

2) You need to know if your potential employer would be understanding if you are late due to train delays - something that might happen several times a month (unless you always leave very early).

3) Try the commute on a Saturday at least. It will obviously not be the same as a weekday - if nothing else in terms of crowding - but Saturday timetables usually bear some resemblance to the weekday timetable and indeed on some lines they are identical. That way you can at least judge how 'bad' the journey is in ideal circumstances.

4) How much is the season ticket? Is this, and the travel time, worth it given the offer you are getting?

jessica33

1) Commutes involving a change are always worse than those which don't - even if the journey time is identical or even shorter with the change. This is because when there is disruption, there is far greater potential for your journey to make you late in either direction. It is simply not fun when you can make part of your journey just fine but not the rest, take it from me!

Yes, that is what I worked out too, rather than just hopping on a train and getting off the other end, I have to worry about a connection at the other end.

2) You need to know if your potential employer would be understanding if you are late due to train delays - something that might happen several times a month (unless you always leave very early).

Employer seems understanding, modern big company who support flexible timings, and don't mind if you come in at 830, 9, 930 etc...

3) Try the commute on a Saturday at least. It will obviously not be the same as a weekday - if nothing else in terms of crowding - but Saturday timetables usually bear some resemblance to the weekday timetable and indeed on some lines they are identical. That way you can at least judge how 'bad' the journey is in ideal circumstances.

I did try the commute on Wednesday on the way to my interview. I can ask the HR guy to give me the weekend, I just don't want to mess them around too much by being indecisive. I know many others have far worse commutes.

4) How much is the season ticket? Is this, and the travel time, worth it given the offer you are getting?

Season Ticket costs:

WEEKLY: £73
MONTHLY: £282
ANNUAL: £2944

The offer is good, it's a massive pay rise on what I'm currently on, nearly double in fact so the cost isn't an issue in that respect.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes, that is what I worked out too, rather than just hopping on a train and getting off the other end, I have to worry about a connection at the other end.
If you have any choice on the matter I would choose a way in which you don't have to change - e.g. if you are on a fixed-term tenancy which is ending soon then I would try to move somewhere where you can do a direct commute. If you get a monthly or annual season ticket (or anything in between), you can change it over when/if you move, paying or receiving the pro-rata difference.

Employer seems understanding, modern big company who support flexible timings, and don't mind if you come in at 830, 9, 930 etc...
That's good.

I can ask the HR guy to give me the weekend, I just don't want to mess them around too much by being indecisive.
I just meant that you might want to try out the commute as a 'test' on a Saturday (as you are busy during the week), going out and returning immediately.

Season Ticket costs:

WEEKLY: £73
MONTHLY: £282
ANNUAL: £2944

The offer is good, it's a massive pay rise on what I'm currently on, nearly double in fact so the cost isn't an issue in that respect.
Ok, so it's not cheap but it's not inordinate. Certainly if it doubles your pay then that sounds worth it. When/if you get your season ticket I would buy it using a cashback credit card (e.g. I think Santander has one that offers 3% back on rail travel, or American Express has a 5% introductory offer).

This is because a) you're getting 'free money' and b) if there is a problem with your commute - e.g. massive timetable disruption like on Southern, or refusals to provide the correct Delay Repay when delays occur - then you have equal recourse against your card provider as well as against SWR (see S75 Consumer Credit Act 1974). It can often be much easier to pursue matters against a card provider, as they are a financial services provider and must thus follow procedures strictly, plus you have recourse to the (binding) Financial Services Ombudsman if they fail to follow the procedures correctly.

I would still wait for forum members who are more familiar with the area to chime in - perhaps there is something I am missing. You might also like to look at www.recenttraintimes.co.uk and see the historic timeliness (or lack thereof) of the trains you might be taking, over up to the last 100 days.

Veteran Member
Couple of points:
From December the current plans provide for a half hourly all day direct service from Ascot to Hounslow and Brentford, replacing the current services that run from Staines and beyond direct to Syon Lane.
All the trains at Syon Lane will run to and from Twickenham instead of only half.
That means you will be changing at different stations, but might make the journey slightly quicker.

It's worth checking out local bus services so you have a plan B for major disruption. Your season ticket should be valid at Twickenham (but not Richmond).

jessica33

Also thinking it may be an option to drive - Around 25 miles from home to where I need to be:

Obviously during rush our this will be busier than normal

According to Google Maps, a random Wednesday Morning, leaving at 0700 HRS, it takes 40 minutes - 1hr 25 mins.

Coming back at 1730: 50mins to 1hr 40

Very difficult to judge really

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A 25 mile drive at those times of day is likely to take 1h25 rather than 40 mins.

I'd go for it - take the job and get the train!

lmuk

You need to go from Ascot to Virginia water or staines, up to you, it's where you like to wait, then get the weybridge to Waterloo via hounslow. (Long old stopper journey) or go to Twickenham and get the rounder you cut out about 4 stations. But you do have to do deal with a lot on the Hounslow loop ..guards hate it.

Sebastian O

Knowing the area and the poor road route you have to take (M3, A316 and parking) then absolutely it’s worth the train commute. Few stops up and it’s a reliable stretch from Ascot upwards.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Couple of points:
From December the current plans provide for a half hourly all day direct service from Ascot to Hounslow and Brentford, replacing the current services that run from Staines and beyond direct to Syon Lane.
All the trains at Syon Lane will run to and from Twickenham instead of only half.
That means you will be changing at different stations, but might make the journey slightly quicker.

AIUI chance of this happening is fairly low so worth bearing in mind. Not impossible, but unlikely.

lmuk

What do you mean by you have to deal with a lot?
Lot issues with fare dodgers going to court at isleworth, lots students going to various colleges and unis and colleges, Brentford match days, tissue beggars, just from what I have seen on the incident log, Hounslow loop always pops up but they are running new trains etc, I don't mind the line but everyday..id avoid it

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Lot issues with fare dodgers going to court at isleworth, lots students going to various colleges and unis and colleges, Brentford match days, tissue beggars, just from what I have seen on the incident log, Hounslow loop always pops up but they are running new trains etc, I don't mind the line but everyday..id avoid it

Nothing out of the ordinary.

Worth pointing out that peak time commuter services are generally far more civilised than their off peak counterparts. Everyone knows where they're going, there's quiet contemplation about the day ahead/journey home, with people either sleeping, reading a book, looking at their smartphone etc. The one thing that does seem to be frowned upon is making a phone call!

big_dirt

Also thinking it may be an option to drive - Around 25 miles from home to where I need to be:

Obviously during rush our this will be busier than normal

According to Google Maps, a random Wednesday Morning, leaving at 0700 HRS, it takes 40 minutes - 1hr 25 mins.

Coming back at 1730: 50mins to 1hr 40

Very difficult to judge really

Jessica, I think that I might work for the same big company as you will be.

First of all, they’re really accommodating on occasional delays. They’ve got a good flexible working policy. As long as you get your work done, nobody minds if you’re in at 7am, 9.30am or 10am. Provided you’re not doing a job which requires you to be present, you’ll be allowed to work one day from home as there are fewer desks than employees. You’ve got to weigh up ticket costs if you are in the office four days out of seven, minus annual leave, and considering an annual ticket.

Car parking is very good. There are two multi storeys which don’t both fill up. In addition, there are spaces specifically if you have kids and you can book these four times a month. The executives have the best spaces on site, but they’re only reserved until 9.30. So at 9.30 more spaces open up right beside the main building.

I used to take the train daily from West Norwood via Clapham Junction. I had a five minute change on the way home between platform 4 and 15 and had to run over the footbridge like a lunatic, often missing my connection. Now I just drive, which isn’t as good for being productive but has fewer disruptions.

Also, the walk between SYL and the office is the longest fifteen minutes of your day and if you’re not at the right part of the train, it can take you ten minutes to get off the platform.

Last edited:

big_dirt

I did it for a year and saw nothing at all untoward. Some school kids maybe making a bit of noise on occasion but nothing sinister. Very few ticket checks on the train.

Heading out through Barnes, Barnes Bridge, Kew, it’s all beautiful. Crossing the river, barges at Brentford, rugby pitches, little station buildings etc, I’ve always felt like I’m 100 miles away from London. Getting off at SYL and walking up to the Great West Road, I get brought back to Earth with a bump!

Sleeper

Until quite recently I was for many years a regular commuter on the Hounslow Loop, albeit from the London end up towards Clapham Junction. By and large it was fine as commuting goes. I imagine the trains further out were less crowded than mine.

If you change at Staines or Feltham it is an easy same platform connection. Obviously this only works so long as there continue to be direct trains between Staines/Feltham and Syon Lane. If those were to cease under a revised timetable you would need to change at Twickenham.

Changing at Virginia Water would always involve a footbridge change of platform.

Everyone's circumstances are different, but personally I wouldn't let the prospect of this particular rail commute prevent my making an otherwise beneficial career move.

jessica33

Jessica, I think that I might work for the same big company as you will be.

First of all, they’re really accommodating on occasional delays. They’ve got a good flexible working policy. As long as you get your work done, nobody minds if you’re in at 7am, 9.30am or 10am. Provided you’re not doing a job which requires you to be present, you’ll be allowed to work one day from home as there are fewer desks than employees. You’ve got to weigh up ticket costs if you are in the office four days out of seven, minus annual leave, and considering an annual ticket.

Car parking is very good. There are two multi storeys which don’t both fill up. In addition, there are spaces specifically if you have kids and you can book these four times a month. The executives have the best spaces on site, but they’re only reserved until 9.30. So at 9.30 more spaces open up right beside the main building.

I used to take the train daily from West Norwood via Clapham Junction. I had a five minute change on the way home between platform 4 and 15 and had to run over the footbridge like a lunatic, often missing my connection. Now I just drive, which isn’t as good for being productive but has fewer disruptions.

Also, the walk between SYL and the office is the longest fifteen minutes of your day and if you’re not at the right part of the train, it can take you ten minutes to get off the platform.

Yea I'm sure we are talking about the same big company! I loved the site there, facilities like the gyms and restaurants look brilliant. Is the food, coffee expensive?

That's good information about the trains.

Getting on at Ascot I can get a seat

Not sure if I will get a seat on the 2nd part of the journey. The train to Syon Lane which I can join at Feltham, Staines or Twickenham ... depending on timings.

Bookd

I do not use the line in the morning rush hour, but bear in mind that the loop line trains from Staines / Feltham take quite a bit longer to reach CJ and beyond, so most passengers going further than Barnes would take the direct train; generally in the evening rush the loop trains seem quieter for that reason.

big_dirt

Yea I'm sure we are talking about the same big company! I loved the site there, facilities like the gyms and restaurants look brilliant. Is the food, coffee expensive?

That's good information about the trains.

Getting on at Ascot I can get a seat

Not sure if I will get a seat on the 2nd part of the journey. The train to Syon Lane which I can join at Feltham, Staines or Twickenham ... depending on timings.

I get an americano, made by a barista in a trendy cafe, which is 35p. A canteen dinner, of which there is a choice of two meat based dishes, a fish one, a veggie dish or a vegan dish goes between 2.10 and 2.60. Or you can go to a proper sit down restaurant and have a gourmet meal, an Italian or a gastro pub style place and they’re £4.20. You can see all the menus at foodatsky.com. Look for the dining room as the normal canteen, the restaurant, loft and kitchen as the restaurants. So as not to derail this any further away from train talk, you can send me a pm.

There are a series of free shuttle buses as well which serve Osterley underground, Gunnersbury overground, some of the Ealing and Acton, Richmond tube stations as well if that makes life easier for you.

Definitely do not let the commute put you off coming to work there. I have an agreement to start work at 10 two days a week, work one day from home.

pethadine82

On Moderation
I take it this is GSK?
As another option you could drive to Virginia Water and then join on, or Egham or Staines?

hassaanhc

Established Member
I did it for a year and saw nothing at all untoward. Some school kids maybe making a bit of noise on occasion but nothing sinister. Very few ticket checks on the train.

Heading out through Barnes, Barnes Bridge, Kew, it’s all beautiful. Crossing the river, barges at Brentford, rugby pitches, little station buildings etc, I’ve always felt like I’m 100 miles away from London. Getting off at SYL and walking up to the Great West Road, I get brought back to Earth with a bump!
I'd agree its a nice little line. I have a preference for using it between Hounslow and Waterloo (although often Isleworth on the return) even for journeys where it takes at least 15 minutes longer than the two lines nearer to where I live (Piccadilly line at Hounslow Central and GWML at Southall). Reliability/punctuality is absolutely solid, unlike the other two lines near me. It also helps that the vast majority of issues near London on the SWR network are on the lines via Wimbledon, which the Hounslow services do not touch. It is also quiet off peak on the line as it only really starts getting busy from Barnes, and even in the peaks it is not as busy compared to other nearby lines (as long as the train is 8-10 coaches long, which they should be). Yes the new Class 707 units aren't everyone's favourite but for me they do the job perfectly, and when compared to the Piccadilly line and its trains there is no contest about which route I would go for. A small number of services are still operated by either Class 450, 455 or 458 units so there is variety as well at certain times of the day.

big_dirt

I'd agree its a nice little line. I have a preference for using it between Hounslow and Waterloo (although often Isleworth on the return) even for journeys where it takes at least 15 minutes longer than the two lines nearer to where I live (Piccadilly line at Hounslow Central and GWML at Southall). Reliability/punctuality is absolutely solid, unlike the other two lines near me. It also helps that the vast majority of issues near London on the SWR network are on the lines via Wimbledon, which the Hounslow services do not touch. It is also quiet off peak on the line as it only really starts getting busy from Barnes, and even in the peaks it is not as busy compared to other nearby lines (as long as the train is 8-10 coaches long, which they should be). Yes the new Class 707 units aren't everyone's favourite but for me they do the job perfectly, and when compared to the Piccadilly line and its trains there is no contest about which route I would go for. A small number of services are still operated by either Class 450, 455 or 458 units so there is variety as well at certain times of the day.
The 707s seem to accelerate and decelerate much more efficiently than the older units and, as a result, get into Clapham Junction a minute or two earlier. Honestly, even 30 seconds can make the difference for me so I’m all for them.

The seats are less comfortable and it’s impossible to do any work onboard as my laptop can’t go on a table or even on my lap due to the seat design.

Also, there are no toilets.

But in terms of moving people on time, they’re superior.

Far north 37

Established Member
change at feltham heading towards syon lane not twickenham will save you going round the loop long tedious journey at times.

jessica33

I get an americano, made by a barista in a trendy cafe, which is 35p. A canteen dinner, of which there is a choice of two meat based dishes, a fish one, a veggie dish or a vegan dish goes between 2.10 and 2.60. Or you can go to a proper sit down restaurant and have a gourmet meal, an Italian or a gastro pub style place and they’re £4.20. You can see all the menus at foodatsky.com. Look for the dining room as the normal canteen, the restaurant, loft and kitchen as the restaurants. So as not to derail this any further away from train talk, you can send me a pm.

There are a series of free shuttle buses as well which serve Osterley underground, Gunnersbury overground, some of the Ealing and Acton, Richmond tube stations as well if that makes life easier for you.

Definitely do not let the commute put you off coming to work there. I have an agreement to start work at 10 two days a week, work one day from home.

Thanks big dirt, I'm struggling to make a decision really.

I've been in my current role for 12 years, it's very secure and comfortable. I get a work car too, with all petrol covered (for commuting). I work 7am-3pm so I have a lot of spare time.

Leaving will mean train travel, uncertainty, etc... It's also a very difficult time for me personally. I'm selling/buying a house at the minute.

Very very difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.