• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what is the Furthest South in the UK has a 142 ever been

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliMw

does what is says on the tin really, bit of an odd question I know but was just thinking about it earlier

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
One must surely have got to Penzance during the "skipper" days. That's as far south as you can get on the UK rail network.

Most likely if not they definitely went to St Ives

Yep they went on all the branch lines in Cornwall.
The 'Skippers' looked very smart in Chocolate and Cream.
With mega screeching scrunching, and much wheel slip (especially Gunnislake) but passenger's complaints were ignored.
When severe track and wheel damage was realized, they virtually disappeared overnight.

SansPareil

Perhaps the question should be, how close to the south-east has a pacer got?'

I know that LEV1 and the class 140 operated around Ipswich in the 1980s.

Old Hill Bank

I think they could operate the Marshlink jobs and all the other non electrified routes in the South East, anyone north of Watford Gap agree LOL

TEW

Established Member
One must surely have got to Penzance during the "skipper" days. That's as far south as you can get on the UK rail network.

A couple even managed it in their more recent stint down in the South West with FGW.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I think they could operate the Marshlink jobs and all the other non electrified routes in the South East, anyone north of Watford Gap agree LOL
A Pacer squealing over the London Road viaduct...sweet mother of Beeching, do you want the people of Brighton to develop hearing loss?! :lol:

hacman

I imagine they can't be great for the track around Newcastle Central, coming off either the High Level or King Edward VII bridges.

They're great for this - especially the jointed track coming from the Tyne Valley line if you get a driver whose in a hurry...

It's like a very basic arrivals board - when you hear the screech you know your train is coming :).

Jon

richw

Veteran Member
So they don't do any damage anywhere else then?

the problems were apparently due to unusually tight corners on the Cornish branch lines. They haven't been back since, other than a few rare appearances to Penzance covering a 150.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Perhaps the question should be, how close to the south-east has a pacer got?'

I know that LEV1 and the class 140 operated around Ipswich in the 1980s.

This question pops up every now and then.

Cl142 units have turned up at Cricklewood depot during testing. That's about as close as you can get.

O L Leigh

TEW

Established Member
Class 143s went to Eastleigh for refurbishment too, that's just about the South East. Definitely South East TOC territory.

But Edinburgh Waverley is north of Bathgate.

Berwick: 55.775 north
Bathgate: 55.897 north
Edinburgh: 55.952 north

And Inverness is considerably further north than all three...

Didn't some 141s get sent to Inverness for repairs in the early 1990s when capacity elsewhere was insufficient?

455driver

Veteran Member
They haven't been back since, other than a few rare appearances to Penzance covering a 150.

Which isnt a problem (except traction knowledge) because there are no sharp curves on the mainline.

paul1609

Established Member

As a marshlink resident I'm surprised that they haven't considered adding another coach with electric motors and the disabled accomodation to the 142s.
They could then stay in service for another 25 years and would be ideal for Transpennine Express services as they could operate to destinations off the wires.
The 185s could then be sent down south to offer much needed extra capacity on marsh link and the other diesel lines.

themiller

the problems were apparently due to unusually tight corners on the Cornish branch lines. They haven't been back since, other than a few rare appearances to Penzance covering a 150.

The Pacers have to take a run at the curve between the old Currock wagon repair depot and the WCML into Carlisle to prevent them stalling on the tight radius so I would think that some serious damage occurs there but we're 'up north' so it's all right! It's only flask wagons, fuel tankers and DMUs over that section so there's no worry there! IIRC the track is the state-of-the-art 95lb/yd BH rail on wooden sleepers with continuous check-rail.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes. In Wales and West days in the late 90s, there was a 21 25 Cardiff to Paddington and 00 45 return which Wales and West stepped in to cover after Great Western withdrew the 21 25. It was booked for a 158, but one night a 143 worked it and kept time !!!
It is true that 142s visited Penzance when they were allocated to Exeter in recent years. Pacers were subject to a complete ban on all Southern Railtrack/Network Zones, i.e. not allowed beyond the border at Warminster. When the 143s visited Eastleigh, special dispensation had to be given for the movement.

TheKnightWho

Established Member
As a marshlink resident I'm surprised that they haven't considered adding another coach with electric motors and the disabled accomodation to the 142s.
They could then stay in service for another 25 years and would be ideal for Transpennine Express services as they could operate to destinations off the wires.
The 185s could then be sent down south to offer much needed extra capacity on marsh link and the other diesel lines.

So... why can't you take the 142s straight away instead, rather than the needless cascades? (Apart from the myriad other problems with this proposal...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.