• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the most dismal un-passenger friendly large railway station in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicki brown

I always found Warrington bank quay pretty awful when I travelled to the north west a good few years back. Cold windswept platforms with a very depressing view and unpleasant underpasses. Don't know if things have improved since though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I always found Warrington bank quay pretty awful when I travelled to the north west a good few years back. Cold windswept platforms with a very depressing view and unpleasant underpasses. Don't know if things have improved since though.

I didn't mind the station or its facilities when I changed trains there recently. The waste train which stopped in the up loop platform while I was there, degraded the waiting environment somewhat though !

TagJet

I'm on the thumbs down side regarding Euston. Devoid of any character whatsoever. Definitely needs opening up incorporating the main ticket office and the smaller concourse that runs down the western side of the station to alleviate the Euston scrum problems. The mezzanine level is good apart from most of the seating up there is owned by the restaurants who refuse to allow non-payers to sit there.

Plaza outside is often full of drunks and people lounging on the benches (not passengers by any accounts). And constantly reeks of cig smoke.

Mikey C

Established Member
I'm on the thumbs down side regarding Euston. Devoid of any character whatsoever. Definitely needs opening up incorporating the main ticket office and the smaller concourse that runs down the western side of the station to alleviate the Euston scrum problems. The mezzanine level is good apart from most of the seating up there is owned by the restaurants who refuse to allow non-payers to sit there.

Plaza outside is often full of drunks and people lounging on the benches (not passengers by any accounts). And constantly reeks of cig smoke.

To me that's an early introduction to the North West and Glasgow :E

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I've only known Euston since 1969, and to me it's always been the most depressing place. The only time I've ever been glad to go there was in the glorious summers of 1975 and 1976 when the spacious ticket hall was air conditioned: I wasn't travelling anywhere, just on my lunch break from completely non air con Camden Council offices!

bramling

Veteran Member

I always cringe seeing people eating off those tables outside. Overnight the whole area is often swarming with rats especially if the previous day’s rubbish hasn’t yet been cleared away. Not exactly world-class!

transmanche

Established Member
For the size of the place Sunderland has a pretty dismal station.
It was a little better pre-Metro, as it was partially in the open allowing the diesel fumes to escape. Nowadays, if a unit tarries too long in the station the air is somewhat thick.

On the plus side, the light animation is nice

xotGD

Established Member
Leeds is an awful station, and that is before you have to step outside!
Step outside into a vibrant city with a lot of inward investment, massive choice of places to eat and drink, great shopping and some cracking architecture.

Is that what you meant?

And the station isn't too bad either.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly. Used to be alright but the new red box system with petty jobsworths literally yelling at passengers on P13/14 is a truly awful experience that should not exist in this day and age.

Absolutely. P13 and 14 are terrible and the jobsworths make no difference whatsoever.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Absolutely. P13 and 14 are terrible and the jobsworths make no difference whatsoever.

The "jobsworths" probably do reduce the chance of a PTI incident. The only thing that will make it actually nice is either building 15/16 or a significant reduction (about 3tph removed should do it) to the train service.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I'd say Euston. Constantly leaving it until the last minute to announce platforms, causing crushing crowds by the very few ticket gates (especially on Virgin Trains platforms). Sure, there's food places, but then nowhere to sit down to eat. The first class lounge is a fist fight to get a few pretzels (and, again, typically nowhere to sit down). As far as "un-passenger friendly" goes, Euston is the only one I'd give that title to for definite.

Euston is definitely up there. Especially since they closed All Bar One! The only half-decent place within the immediate station area to get away from the chaos. There is still the Euston Tap, but that doesn’t make up for how unfriendly it is.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
The "jobsworths" probably do reduce the chance of a PTI incident. The only thing that will make it actually nice is either building 15/16 or a significant reduction (about 3tph removed should do it) to the train service.

Agreed. Neither likely to happen though unfortunately.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Euston is definitely up there. Especially since they closed All Bar One! The only half-decent place within the immediate station area to get away from the chaos. There is still the Euston Tap, but that doesn’t make up for how unfriendly it is.

It's funny how Euston is so "Marmite". I really don't mind it at all, I certainly prefer it to Paddington, which while impressive is freezing cold and stinks of human faeces (at least did until the 800s have taken over).

The Tap is decent enough for a drink, and I do like a "cheeky Nando's". I never went in All Bar One anyway, it's an expensive, rubbish, nondescript chain pub.

snookertam

Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Central are confusing to navigate. Now not much can be done about these but they're not great termini.

London Euston for reasons described previously. I'm no fan of Waterloo either although at least you know the platform (and can go on said platform) in advance.

I'm amazed that Glasgow Central would be mentioned on this. IMO you'd struggle to find a better large station anywhere.

Yes the low level platforms 16 and 17 are dark and dingy, but unless you're going down there the high level 1-15 are in a bright (or as bright as the weather will allow) spacious concourse with a large glass cover. And how can you possibly get lost? It's a terminal station where the platforms are numbered in order from left to right, and there's signs everywhere. There's also very few diesel operated services using the station now so the air is relatively clean.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm amazed that Glasgow Central would be mentioned on this. IMO you'd struggle to find a better large station anywhere.

Yes the low level platforms 16 and 17 are dark and dingy, but unless you're going down there the high level 1-15 are in a bright (or as bright as the weather will allow) spacious concourse with a large glass cover. And how can you possibly get lost? It's a terminal station where the platforms are numbered in order from left to right, and there's signs everywhere. There's also very few diesel operated services using the station now so the air is relatively clean.

Yeah, I'd agree, one of the nicest large stations in the UK. Probably matches the civility of "the gentleman's London terminus" of Marylebone but without all the baying London commuters.

Mikey C

Established Member

The Doric Arch is a nice pub

Mike99

Really? It’s the only station I’ve ever had to ask for directions in.

I think it’s knocked Reading off the top spot for my own personal worst station rankings, and that’s a bleak, cold, and I’ll sign posted mess.
I agree about New Street had to go from 10b to 4 and had to ask for directions and go through 2 sets of barriers

Ken H

On Moderation
Nothing wrong with mentioning a caff :cake: always handy to know

I went in there with grand kids when they were little. Sat at the table so we were right by the tracks, separated with just glass. Train passed inches from the kids. Eyes size of saucers. Great stuff. The caff floor is 2 steps down from the platform so they could see the stuff below carriage floor level. And there was a track joint just outside the window, so a bit loud!

bramling

Veteran Member
It's funny how Euston is so "Marmite". I really don't mind it at all, I certainly prefer it to Paddington, which while impressive is freezing cold and stinks of human faeces (at least did until the 800s have taken over).

The Tap is decent enough for a drink, and I do like a "cheeky Nando's". I never went in All Bar One anyway, it's an expensive, rubbish, nondescript chain pub.

Whilst I wouldn’t say I hate it, Euston isn’t great by my measure. The Underground ticket hall is cramped, and the layout funnels Underground users through the mainline concourse, which is a pain all round. The layout further down is also a nuisance as it revolves around just two narrow passages at one point.

The mainline station is a pain to use especially with the ticket checks on every platform now, and it’s hard to enter the station without encountering beggars. The spaciousness of the concourse has been spoiled by the messanine level, and the area outside remains a rat-infested dump. Finally Eversholt Street in particular retains a somewhat seedy atmosphere, and Euston Road is one of the worst polluted roads in London.

How’s that? Oh, and Euston Square station is also horrible to use!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Another vote for Newport where the seating area is near the 'new' bridge but most of the cardiff bound trains stop where they used to, causing overcrowding at the front set of doors.

Also no canopy on platform 1 between the entrance & where the trains stop.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Another vote for Newport where the seating area is near the 'new' bridge but most of the cardiff bound trains stop where they used to, causing overcrowding at the front set of doors.

Also no canopy on platform 1 between the entrance & where the trains stop.

Newport is like a giant tin shed, nasty station.

sprunt

Euston isn't too bad, but it needs a lot more seating.

Paddington is a confusing chaotic mess.

If we're allowed to include underground platforms to make it up to a large station, then Moorgate. It's horribly overcrowded in the morning peak, with busy pedestrian flows all crossing paths.

DJames

Wolverhampton isn't great. Dismal exterior and minimal concourse.

They are in the process of building the new station, which should be a fair bit better. It will also have interchange with trams outside.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I've only known Euston since 1969, and to me it's always been the most depressing place. The only time I've ever been glad to go there was in the glorious summers of 1975 and 1976 when the spacious ticket hall was air conditioned: I wasn't travelling anywhere, just on my lunch break from completely non air con Camden Council offices!

I'll always have a soft spot for Euston as it reminds me of my University days.

Status
Not open for further replies.