• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your controversial railway opinion/idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul L

People who think the Big Four would somehow have recovered witjout nationalisation are living in an ahistorical fantasy land, conjured out of their political biases like smoke out of a garden fire
Just like the banks then?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TimG

There should be third class standing only carriages on all busy routes. 3 + 2 in the rest, with very narrow gangways and full size seats. Standing would be banned...

Bromley boy

Established Member
instead nationalisation led to the rise of unions(now the biggest problem on the uk rail network)

Please could you expand on why you think the unions are the “biggest problem on the U.K. rail network”: as opposed to, say, the useless DfT, incompetent management (GTR?!) etc.?

Last edited:

Bromley boy

Established Member
That's how it works on Tramlink, where even when the trams run on reserved track, they operate on 'street running mode. So all level crossings are standard traffic lights.

You do realise that, unlike trams, trains aren’t driven on line of sight? It’s monumentally stupid to suggest that level crossings are the same as road traffic junctions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-43097342

This is what can happen when ignorant people forget themselves.

The Ham

Established Member
  • Privatize the entire railway back into the big 4.
  • Scrap the Voyagerss and IET's and create a HST 2 version which uses coaches and powercars with a proper buffet, first class compartments, proper first class service, and restaurant cars on at suitable times of day.
  • Bring back more express trains and don't be afraid to use the name express.

"I'm sorry but we've just brought new trains which will be in service for the next 30 years at least and we didn't think that anyone would mind that there's no extra capacity on them."

HST 2 may well be suitable for Devon and Cornwall for much of the year (although I can assure you not on the second May Bank Holiday Monday when a mid afternoon train was full and standing by Plymouth) however for many of the services the 80x's are going to run such a train would not be for for purpose.

The only way that such a train could work is if new lines were being built to increase the numbers of services available, but then the £5.7 billion spent on the IEP units would have looked like a good deal. Also that money would have had to have been spent up front rather than over a 27.5 year period.

There's often a lot of people who think along the lines of "things were better in my childhood, so we'll do things like it was done back then", you can spot them when they say things like "it never did us any harm" (it probably did to others). They often fail to equate things that are now coming to light we also happening at that time, for instance historical child abuse cases. They also forget that as children they were probably shielded from a lot of the news at the time.

That's not too say that there weren't some things that were better, however often trying to recreate them isn't going to work now as the world has moved on. Including much busier railways which means that locos get in the way of providing more space for passengers.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
I meant fast services, as in the ECML major stops or the future HS2 stations, not the current ones which stop at a lot of stations.

If Weymouth (station usage of circa 800,000 passengers) needs a fast service to Waterloo then so should Hook as that too has 800,000.

Whilst somewhere like Farnham with 1.6 million passengers certainly should.

In fact I would suggest that the number of people going to London from either of those two places is significantly higher than those going from Weymouth (where probably a lot go to places on route).

I tell you what, if the people of Weymouth are willing to contribute towards Crossrail 2 and improvements to the power supply to the line to Weymouth to enable such a service to run then you can have it (subject to capacity on the rest of the network). Until then everyone on the SWR network had to live within the constraints that we live on a line with a LOT of passengers using it and the limits that puts on the types of services we can have.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm sure that as taxpayers, residents of Weymouth will be contributing to crossrail 2.

B&I

Established Member
They could, however, have recovered it they had been given a capital grant to help them recover from war time damage and capital depreciation.

Regardless, my point was about how privatisation should have been done in the 90s, not about the 40s.

Yes, I'm sure they could have survived with immense government support. The obvious question is why should they have done ?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
No debates allowed, just a straightforward statement of what you think about something railway-related, that is probably not widely shared by others.
Here's mine:

The HST prototype is better looking than the production version.

Just to repost the first post and remind a few " No debates allowed" Quite a lot of questioning starting on this thread.

The Ham

Established Member
I'm sure that as taxpayers, residents of Weymouth will be contributing to crossrail 2.

I was thinking beyond what those elsewhere in the country were contributing, in that they would like something specific which isn't possible without various schemes including those listed.

Mordac

Established Member
Yes, I'm sure they could have survived with immense government support. The obvious question is why should they have done ?
Isn't it standard practice to compensate private interests when property was commandeered for the war effort (as the big 4's infrastructure was)?

RLBH

Isn't it standard practice to compensate private interests when property was commandeered for the war effort (as the big 4's infrastructure was)?
Generally yes, but in the case of the railways in the late 1940s the government was also flat broke, and it couldn't afford to pay the railways reasonable compensation for wartime use of the network.

transmanche

Established Member
You do realise that, unlike trams, trains aren’t driven on line of sight?
Of course I do! But trams operate at up to 50mph and there are many railway level crossings that have lower rail speeds than that.

It’s monumentally stupid to ignore the evidence that some motorists react differently to traffic lights (a normal everyday experience with an automatic response) than they do to level crossing lights (an unusual experience which may lead to a panicked response) and not think it worthy of some further research and investigation.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Train drivers should have Sunday incorporated into the working week. They'd still only work on average a four day 36 hour week, but TOCs would no longer have to rely on drivers working overtime to run Sunday services.

Envy123

If Weymouth (station usage of circa 800,000 passengers) needs a fast service to Waterloo then so should Hook as that too has 800,000.

Whilst somewhere like Farnham with 1.6 million passengers certainly should.

In fact I would suggest that the number of people going to London from either of those two places is significantly higher than those going from Weymouth (where probably a lot go to places on route).

I tell you what, if the people of Weymouth are willing to contribute towards Crossrail 2 and improvements to the power supply to the line to Weymouth to enable such a service to run then you can have it (subject to capacity on the rest of the network). Until then everyone on the SWR network had to live within the constraints that we live on a line with a LOT of passengers using it and the limits that puts on the types of services we can have.

Or at the very least, have a Dorset version of HS1. Why do Kent towns have fast services to London (60-90 minutes) while Dorset has slower-than-molasses ones?

stut

Established Member
Or at the very least, have a Dorset version of HS1. Why do Kent towns have fast services to London (60-90 minutes) while Dorset has slower-than-molasses ones?

Well, the Kent towns were lucky to be on the way to somewhere.

So, I would like to propose the Channel Island Tunnel, with optional extension to Normandy. Goodness knows, there's enough money on Jersey. Soon, we'll see Dorset to London (let's say Fenchurch St, because it's the done thing to have your high-speed terminal on the opposite side of London, apparently) in minutes.

"I'd like to upgrade this Weymouth ticket to one that's valid on the high-speed line, please."

"In Dorset?"

"If you like, but I'd be just as happy with a supplement."

Envy123

Well, the Kent towns were lucky to be on the way to somewhere.

Interesting - I thought HS1 to Kent had the similar goal of spreading the wealth/relieving capacity, like with HS2.

But it does make sense that it was mostly luck, otherwise why would towns like Margate have high-speed services when Wareham and Weymouth are more economically developed?

class387

Established Member
Interesting - I thought HS1 to Kent had the similar goal of spreading the wealth/relieving capacity, like with HS2.

But it does make sense that it was mostly luck, otherwise why would towns like Margate have high-speed services when Wareham and Weymouth are more economically developed?
HS1 was built for the Channel Tunnel and Eurostar, which happened to pass through Kent.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Of course I do! But trams operate at up to 50mph and there are many railway level crossings that have lower rail speeds than that.

Just checking!

I’ll wager a tram travelling at 50mph can stop quicker than a 66 hauling a few thousand tonnes can from 20.

It’s monumentally stupid to ignore the evidence that some motorists react differently to traffic lights (a normal everyday experience with an automatic response) than they do to level crossing lights (an unusual experience which may lead to a panicked response) and not think it worthy of some further research and investigation.

Motorists do react differently to traffic lights - they often jump them (let’s be honest most of us who drive will take the occasional “amber gamble”). Drivers also jump the traffic lights controlling access across tramlink “level crossings” (I’ve witnessed this many times).

Level crossing lights are different kettle of fish, even emergency vehicles are required to stop for them (for obvious reasons). There are a few idiots but *most* motorists respect level crossing lights more than road traffic lights.

If a level crossing displaying a stop aspect is enough to lead to a “panicked response” the motorist in question shouldn’t be behind the wheel in the first place.

For these reasons I would suggest reducing heavy rail level crossing lights to traffic lights is a ridiculous idea.

Ethano92

Opinion 1) short distance, suburban services should not have guards and instead run with DOO, it can help speed up dwell times at stations too. Harrington humps should be provided at platforms that are solely or almost solely served by one class of train

Opinion 2) more needs to be done to keep temperatures cool. My local station currently isn't served by air conned trains but I know they're coming in 2 years so im fine but southeastern passengers, for example have a long time ahead of them with 465s that have no air con and windows that only open half an inch. When it comes to hearing, we've got it covered with Electrostars being the best because they have heaters or vents to the heaters at arms height rather than just by the floor

Opinion 3) the best time to get new stock was the early 2000s, back when new stock was bought to replace life expired stock and provide better passenger comfort compared to nowadays when it's bought to maximise money saving, provide maximum capacity and meet some unnecessarily strict health and safety standards however not take passenger comfort or experience into consideration. Eg unnecessarily loud door open and close tones, I know it's for those who are visually impaired but how come 377s are allowed to operate when their tones are so quiet, I often only realise the doors are closing when I get nudged by something on my back (the door). Another example being the dual voltage 710s for London Overground will often always be coupled to run as 8 cars however there is no gangway because of strict regulations with driver viewpoint. If it's such a big deal, why are 450s, or 387s allowed to operate.

Opinion 4) more needs to be done to electrify our railways or find alternative solutions such as battery power with charge points for short shuttles etc. I know funding is an issue but it needs to be more of a priority despite those that 'love the roar of a HST loco' or claim 'proper' railways are diesel etc.

Finally, opinion 5) the DFT are more an enemy than friend for railways and they don't always take things very well into consideration.

dlj83

Railway staff should have a semi decent understanding of routes or be able to search for a correct journey for a passenger.

Just been at Surrey Quays and a staff member was asked how to get to Norbury, the staff member said "our trains don't go there, go to Kings Cross there is a information centre there" in the end I had to tell the passenger the correct route to take.

xotGD

Established Member
Passengers travelling the furthest should get priority boarding. For example, on the 17.19 Leeds - Morecambe, passengers travelling beyond Skipton should get first dibs and get a seat, Airedale passengers might have to stand, and if anyone is to be left behind it should be the Shipley folk who can catch the next Forster Square service.

deltic

Established Member
All rolling stock allowed to use Channel Tunnel

All local rail services converted into trams/light rail with on street running into city centres

Tunnel built between Holyhead and Dublin with line upgrade to allow high speed train services between Dublin and Euston via HS2

Complete ban on consultancy studies for new rail lines/stations unless paid for by TOCs or other private sector

All train tickets to include plus bus facility automatically, will all bus operators required to accept and to be widely promoted

Rail replacement buses must be of at least the same quality as the train they are replacing

All stations used by more than 1000 people a day to be staffed at all times

All customer facing staff to sit an exam (with a pass mark of 80%) covering all aspects of ticketing, T&Cs, route planning etc before being allowed to be employed

All staff working fulltime on the railway to be employees of the TOC or Network Rail (ie cleaners, catering staff etc) and entitled to priv tickets

All DfT staff who deal with rail issues to be required to spend at least 3 months on secondment to a customer facing roll on railway

Status
Not open for further replies.