• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is your favourite chain for coffee in the UK?

What is your favourite chain for coffee?

• AMT Coffee

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Caffe Nero

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • Costa Coffee

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Gail’s Bakery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greggs

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Joe & The Juice

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Pret A Manger

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Starbucks

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • Other (please specify in the comments)

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

philosopher

Established Member
Over the past 30 years there has been a massive proliferation of coffee shops in the UK, to the extent that now almost every High Street, medium to large railway station or shopping centre seems to have a least one of these coffee places listed. This poll asks you to vote for your favourite chain for coffee in the UK.

The poll includes what I think are the largest UK sellers of coffee. Some I know do not sell coffee as their main product, however coffee I suspect will make up a large proportion of their sales. There may be some large chains that I missed as I there may be some chains that are mostly in one or two regions that I’m not aware of. So if your favourite chain for coffee is not listed, please vote for other and specify that chain in the comments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I tend to favour independents when possible- there's a few decent ones in Huddersfield (including CoffeeEvolution which is not far from the station).
Failing that, it's Starbucks or McDonalds depending on how flush I feel, or AMT if there is one- but I've only ever seen them at major stations. Back when I lived down south, Puccino's was decent (and there seemed to be one at or near almost every suburban railway station in SW London) but I've no idea if they're still going, nor if they're still good assuming they are.

baz962

Established Member
My favourite coffee is from a small chain ( 3 shops iirc ) called Knot. Absolutely love the coffee , but nowhere near me now. So now I use pret , coffee subscription reason.

philosopher

Established Member
Tim Horton’s. I’m in one now!
I have only seen one Tim Horton’s in the UK, however their Wikipedia page says they have 47 stores in the UK, so they are quite a bit bigger than I thought.

Failing that, it's Starbucks or McDonalds depending on how flush I feel, or AMT if there is one- but I've only ever seen them at major stations. Back when I lived down south, Puccino's was decent (and there seemed to be one at or near almost every suburban railway station in SW London) but I've no idea if they're still going, nor if they're still good assuming they are.
AMT I have only seen in railway stations and hospitals. They are probably quite small compared to the likes of Costa and Starbucks, but as this is a railway forum, I suspect there will be a lot on this forum familiar with them. I think there is still a Puccino’s at Richmond station.

TheEdge

Established Member
Costa is the best mediocre generic chain coffee shop that provides an adequately drinkable cup of warm brown nectar.

birchesgreen

Established Member
My fave used to be 6/8 Kafe on Temple Row in Birmingham but thats closed now. So, i voted for Starbucks instead.

Gloster

Established Member
As someone who, when I travelled, very rarely bought coffee (why spend several quid on something you can bring in a thermos) and when I did just used whichever was handiest, I have absolutely no preferences. I might use a small local one if it is convenient in order to avoid filling the corporate coffers, but this doesn’t always work: the ‘Your sweet-little-local-coffee-shop’ all too often turns out to be (through a complicated chain of ownership) a subsidiary/franchise of Globalquench Foodstuffs Inc. of Cincinnati, Ohio. For good measure, I have never even heard of AMT, Gail’s and Joe’s. None of the above.

mikeg

Established Member
AMT because they do wonderful milkshakes for people who like me who hate coffee in specific and hot drinks in general.

Non Multi

I've yet to be disappointed by a Puccino's (Segafredo coffee) that uses a large coffee maker, but I generally don't like the mochas from the little kiosk Puccino's.

Unfortunately my favourite Puccino's at Twickenham station was downsized in the station refurb and doesn't make epic mochas like they did before.

I'm also okay with Caffè Nero and Costa's mochas.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Has to be Wetherspoons. Less than £1.30 (often 99p) for unlimited Lavazza. If one’s nearby then why go anywhere else?

John Luxton

Established Member
I can honestly say apart from buying a Coffee once at the small Costa outlet at Lymington Pier circa 2012 I have never bought a coffee at any of those chains. Someone else bought me a coffee at a Starbucks in Liverpool once and another at the Costa at Douglas Sea Terminal but that is it. That is my sum total of experiences with coffee chains.

Yes I do like coffee drink it quite a bit at home just usually Douwe Egberts granules.

When on holiday quite often have a coffee at the hotel where I stay after dinner but that is usually filter coffee.

Just don't see the fascination for these overpriced chain outlets.

dk1

Veteran Member
As a second choice after Wetherspoons it would have to be Pret. Again at 99p (£1.25 in central/station outlets) their filter is good value if a little on the Luke warm side.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I tend to use independents rather than chains. If in an unfamiliar place I choose the busiest as it's likely to be the best.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I used to like Coffee Republic best of the chains. It had to go because they obviously sourced better quality, therefore more expensive, coffee. That's capitalism for you!

baz962

Established Member
As a second choice after Wetherspoons it would have to be Pret. Again at 99p (£1.25 in central/station outlets) their filter is good value if a little on the Luke warm side.
As per my post above , pret. If you have one near and can get in regular and you buy coffee regularly , the pret subscription is awesome. 5 barista made drinks a day for £20 a month ( going up to £25) . Great value.

brad465

Established Member
Costa, but I don't tend to buy high street coffee, so usually I'm getting other refreshments while meeting up with friends there. Interestingly my 6th form common room got a major refurbishment over Christmas of year 13 that saw a Costa kiosk put in it.

dk1

Veteran Member
As per my post above , pret. If you have one near and can get in regular and you buy coffee regularly , the pret subscription is awesome. 5 barista made drinks a day for £20 a month ( going up to £25) . Great value.
Still a bargain but not for me with filter. I would need at least 26 drinks for it to be worth my while. I’ve used a friends barcode in the past however.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I like to get a large vanilla latte from Queen Street’s Starbucks every day :) Costa is too watery for me.

Welly

Megabucks, Costly Coffee, Cafe Fiddling Emperor and Coffee Ripoff - I generally don't bother with coffee chain shops.

philosopher

Established Member
Megabucks, Costly Coffee, Cafe Fiddling Emperor and Coffee Ripoff - I generally don't bother with coffee chain shops.
Megabucks obviously is Starbucks, Costly Coffee must be Costa Coffee and Cafe Fiddling Emperor I assume is Caffe Nero. Which leaves Coffee Ripoff, whom I can’t work out.

route101

Established Member
Rarely buy hot drinks out and about, not really into tea or coffee. It would be Costa though. Tea makes me go to the toilet and I prefer to be refreshed when its warm.

Tim Horton’s. I’m in one now!

More of them opening up. Must say the food in there is not great, the breakfast stuff. Donut tim bits are tasty though.

xotGD

Established Member
Filmore and Union

Their brownies were superb.

Edit: The cafe on Middlesbrough station serves excellent coffee. Possibly the best I've ever had.

(Pity about the rest of the town)

tspaul26

Established Member
I tend to use the Gourmet kiosks on stations when I’m travelling.

alexf380

Established Member
In terms of the 'big chains' I'd always go for a Costa. I do like the coffee from Bayne's the bakers, which is a mid-sized scottish Greggs basically.
I've had Joe and the juice a few times when I've been down in London and it's quite nice. Another one I'd look out for is Black Sheep coffee, which is a bit London-centric but are starting to branch out across the country.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Coffee Republic
I thought they'd gone out of business, so I looked up their website and put in my postcode for nearest bar locator map, and got a map of the Eastern seaboard of the USA, which is a bit of a stretch from Cornwall. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.