What New RTR models would you like to see in OO gauge

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidB

Established Member
Bachmann are currently producing the class 117 and 121 DMUs, once Lima staples in the 00 gauge world, which were primarily Western region units and are numbered appropriately. From what I've seen, Bachmann also seem to have achieved good national representation of the regions with their mark 1 stock.

Dapol has already done the 121, and done a good job of it. It is somewhat surprising that Bachmann think there is enough of a market for another model.

LOL The Irony

Established Member
In my opinion, anything that isn't incredibly recent, a popular class of train or a kettle is poorly represented in the modelling world, so props to Realtrack who actually produce modern scene stuff. I'd much rather pay through the nose for their 156 than a 30-odd year old tool that doesn't even have working lights at over £100.

Iskra

Established Member
In my opinion, anything that isn't incredibly recent, a popular class of train or a kettle is poorly represented in the modelling world, so props to Realtrack who actually produce modern scene stuff. I'd much rather pay through the nose for their 156 than a 30-odd year old tool that doesn't even have working lights at over £100.
I agree. There is clear demand judging by the prices more modern stuff is fetching on ebay. I’ve been trying to get some First Caledonian Sleeper coaches, the Hornby ones produced aren’t the best quality and visibly used ones are going for £40-50 each!

I don’t know why Hornby are still bothering with their 156. Hattons have brand new Realtrack 156’s at £195 in limited liveries.

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

Established Member
I don’t know why Hornby are still bothering with their 156. Hattons have brand new Realtrack 156’s at £195 in limited liveries.
Hornby's RRPs at £125. For £70 more, you can get a vastly superior model, it's clearly a no-brainer. If I had the money to put down on 1 of the 2, I'd go for the Realtrack one in a heartbeat, I don't care about the additional 70 quid, because the Realtrack 156 looks like 7000 times the model.

Iskra

Established Member
Hornby's RRPs at £125. For £70 more, you can get a vastly superior model, it's clearly a no-brainer. If I had the money to put down on 1 of the 2, I'd go for the Realtrack one in a heartbeat, I don't care about the additional 70 quid, because the Realtrack 156 looks like 7000 times the model.
I personally agree, quality over quantity.

But, to flip the argument we should be grateful I suppose that we have the luxury of choice between a budget model and a more serious one. I'm sure the Hornby version does appeal to some, indeed it must as it feels like it has been around forever. Personally, I still think it is overpriced for such a basic and old model.

DavidB

Established Member
I personally agree, quality over quantity.

But, to flip the argument we should be grateful I suppose that we have the luxury of choice between a budget model and a more serious one. I'm sure the Hornby version does appeal to some, indeed it must as it feels like it has been around forever.

That argument would hold if the budget model was actually relatively cheap (60-70 quid), but the price isn't really justified for quite an old and basic model.

reddragon

Established Member
Older models should still be sold under bargain type ranges for less well off modellers as well as mid and top range.

Personally I have a mixture from second hand basics, through to the low end of top range.

Pondering ordering 18000, but I want it with sound!

Peter C

Established Member
Are there any sound recordings of it I wonder?
There may not be any professional recordings, but there may well be quite a few recordings from peoples' personal collections; in the Train Sim scene, Armstrong Powerhouse managed to recreate the sounds of an unrefurbished Class 50 from someone's tape recordings from the 1970s or something, so that could happen here maybe?
The sad bit is that it's not in an operational state at the moment and last I heard it's to be restored cosmetically only, so I'd be doubtful of any new recordings being made.

-Peter

Cowley

Established Member
Associate Staff
General Discussion
Railtours & Preservation
Modelling & Games
There may not be any professional recordings, but there may well be quite a few recordings from peoples' personal collections; in the Train Sim scene, Armstrong Powerhouse managed to recreate the sounds of an unrefurbished Class 50 from someone's tape recordings from the 1970s or something, so that could happen here maybe?
The sad bit is that it's not in an operational state at the moment and last I heard it's to be restored cosmetically only, so I'd be doubtful of any new recordings being made.

-Peter
Yes there’s nothing in it, so probably no chance whatsoever ever of it ever running again.
We had an interesting thread about it not that long ago:

Paging @Ash Bridge - I don’t suppose you know of any recordings of it do you Mr B?

Peter C

Established Member
Yes there’s nothing in it, so probably no chance whatsoever ever of it ever running again.

Paging @Ash Bridge - I don’t suppose you know of any recordings of it do you Mr B?
Ah OK - I didn't know that about the insides.
I'll definitely have a look at that thread.

-Peter :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Sorry for the delay; unfortunately I'm afraid the answers no on this one Mr Cowley, had it been 10000 & 10001 then you know I could have helped out!