• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What New RTR models would you like to see in OO gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
Hopefully any model 10100 won't resemble the original's performance too closely - otherwise you might be advised to check your fire insurance policy, and you will need to enlarge your model loco. works.......

I think poor eyesight is essential to have this loco too!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

Bachmann are currently producing the class 117 and 121 DMUs, once Lima staples in the 00 gauge world, which were primarily Western region units and are numbered appropriately. From what I've seen, Bachmann also seem to have achieved good national representation of the regions with their mark 1 stock.

Dapol has already done the 121, and done a good job of it. It is somewhat surprising that Bachmann think there is enough of a market for another model.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
In my opinion, anything that isn't incredibly recent, a popular class of train or a kettle is poorly represented in the modelling world, so props to Realtrack who actually produce modern scene stuff. I'd much rather pay through the nose for their 156 than a 30-odd year old tool that doesn't even have working lights at over £100.

Iskra

Established Member
In my opinion, anything that isn't incredibly recent, a popular class of train or a kettle is poorly represented in the modelling world, so props to Realtrack who actually produce modern scene stuff. I'd much rather pay through the nose for their 156 than a 30-odd year old tool that doesn't even have working lights at over £100.
I agree. There is clear demand judging by the prices more modern stuff is fetching on ebay. I’ve been trying to get some First Caledonian Sleeper coaches, the Hornby ones produced aren’t the best quality and visibly used ones are going for £40-50 each!

I don’t know why Hornby are still bothering with their 156. Hattons have brand new Realtrack 156’s at £195 in limited liveries.

Last edited:

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I don’t know why Hornby are still bothering with their 156. Hattons have brand new Realtrack 156’s at £195 in limited liveries.
Hornby's RRPs at £125. For £70 more, you can get a vastly superior model, it's clearly a no-brainer. If I had the money to put down on 1 of the 2, I'd go for the Realtrack one in a heartbeat, I don't care about the additional 70 quid, because the Realtrack 156 looks like 7000 times the model.

Iskra

Established Member
Hornby's RRPs at £125. For £70 more, you can get a vastly superior model, it's clearly a no-brainer. If I had the money to put down on 1 of the 2, I'd go for the Realtrack one in a heartbeat, I don't care about the additional 70 quid, because the Realtrack 156 looks like 7000 times the model.
I personally agree, quality over quantity.

But, to flip the argument we should be grateful I suppose that we have the luxury of choice between a budget model and a more serious one. I'm sure the Hornby version does appeal to some, indeed it must as it feels like it has been around forever. Personally, I still think it is overpriced for such a basic and old model.

DB

I personally agree, quality over quantity.

But, to flip the argument we should be grateful I suppose that we have the luxury of choice between a budget model and a more serious one. I'm sure the Hornby version does appeal to some, indeed it must as it feels like it has been around forever.

That argument would hold if the budget model was actually relatively cheap (60-70 quid), but the price isn't really justified for quite an old and basic model.

Iskra

Established Member
That argument would hold if the budget model was actually relatively cheap (60-70 quid), but the price isn't really justified for quite an old and basic model.

I agree, I think it should be moved into the Railroad range and the price dropped to match.

reddragon

Established Member
Older models should still be sold under bargain type ranges for less well off modellers as well as mid and top range.

Personally I have a mixture from second hand basics, through to the low end of top range.

Pondering ordering 18000, but I want it with sound!

Peter C

Established Member
Are there any sound recordings of it I wonder?
There may not be any professional recordings, but there may well be quite a few recordings from peoples' personal collections; in the Train Sim scene, Armstrong Powerhouse managed to recreate the sounds of an unrefurbished Class 50 from someone's tape recordings from the 1970s or something, so that could happen here maybe?
The sad bit is that it's not in an operational state at the moment and last I heard it's to be restored cosmetically only, so I'd be doubtful of any new recordings being made.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There may not be any professional recordings, but there may well be quite a few recordings from peoples' personal collections; in the Train Sim scene, Armstrong Powerhouse managed to recreate the sounds of an unrefurbished Class 50 from someone's tape recordings from the 1970s or something, so that could happen here maybe?
The sad bit is that it's not in an operational state at the moment and last I heard it's to be restored cosmetically only, so I'd be doubtful of any new recordings being made.

-Peter
Yes there’s nothing in it, so probably no chance whatsoever ever of it ever running again.
We had an interesting thread about it not that long ago:

Paging @Ash Bridge - I don’t suppose you know of any recordings of it do you Mr B?

Peter C

Established Member
Yes there’s nothing in it, so probably no chance whatsoever ever of it ever running again.

Paging @Ash Bridge - I don’t suppose you know of any recordings of it do you Mr B?
Ah OK - I didn't know that about the insides.
I'll definitely have a look at that thread.

-Peter :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member

Sorry for the delay; unfortunately I'm afraid the answers no on this one Mr Cowley, had it been 10000 & 10001 then you know I could have helped out!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry for the delay; unfortunately I'm afraid the answers no on this one Mr Cowley, had it been 10000 & 10001 then you know I could have helped out!
Ah worth a go! ;)

On a youtube video with 18000 DCC sound I discovered that it had a diesel engine for shunting and a whistle not a horn!

That’s fascinating. I didn’t realise it had diesel engine for shunting either.
I love it when it goes into full rev washing machine spin cycle style when it accelerates!

fgwrich

Established Member
I agree. There is clear demand judging by the prices more modern stuff is fetching on ebay. I’ve been trying to get some First Caledonian Sleeper coaches, the Hornby ones produced aren’t the best quality and visibly used ones are going for £40-50 each!

Very true, The Mk3 Sleeper is another Mk3 based model that I feel is due a re-tool. It's a shame that the Oxford ones seem to have gone rather quiet - minor issues aside, it is a quality model.

By there way, there is a Hornby Caley Sleeper Mk3 on eBay at the moment if you're still looking for one.

Iskra

Established Member
Very true, The Mk3 Sleeper is another Mk3 based model that I feel is due a re-tool. It's a shame that the Oxford ones seem to have gone rather quiet - minor issues aside, it is a quality model.

By there way, there is a Hornby Caley Sleeper Mk3 on eBay at the moment if you're still looking for one.
Thanks, I ended up buying a brand new hornby First Scotrail sleeper set with a class 90 and 3 SLEP’s as it worked out a lot better value than paying £40-50 a coach for second hand stuff and I needed 3 and got the loco thrown in free essentially, with the full set more likely to retain to its value.

reddragon

Established Member

Kernow Class 11 (LMS/LNER & GWR versions) and Class 12 on the way!

Model Rail has joined forces with Heljan to bring you the LMS 350hp diesel shunter, later to become the Class 11.

You could be forgiven for mistaking this machine for BR's superlative Class 08 but this is where the "gronk" story starts. The differences were small (wheel diameter and cab) but what we have here is the final evolution of the LMS pre-war diesel shunter development.

The War Department ordered the first 20 (but only took delivery of 14), the LMS took the remaining 6 and BR built 71 between 1948 and 1952 when Class 08 production started. Even the Western Region took delivery of six machines that were virtually identical to the LMS design, and English Electric built them for industry too. Eight Class 11s survive, plus one ex-WD and one built new for ICI.

The Model Rail/Heljan model will feature three different marker light arrangements (or WD spot lamps where appropriate), different nose end ladder/handrail combinations and will encompass smaller detail differences, such as whistles or air horns and types of cabside handrails.

Why stop with one model! We've decided to go the whole hog and offer the Southern Region Class 12 too!

15211 - 15236 emerged from Ashford between 1949 - 1952 and were virtually identical to the LMS design. We will include key differences - Bulleid "Boxpok" wheels and the extra lamp iron/marker lights - but please be aware that limitations to the tooling may mean that it's not possible to include some smaller detail differences (also applicable to the Western Region machines).

The model will be crammed with the latest technology too: a Next18 decoder socket and working head and tail lights, where appropriate. We plan to include a "stay alive" capacitor unit to ensure uninterrupted running over uneven and dirty track and a factory-fitted sugar cube speaker.

The Class 11s are expected 1st Quarter 2022 and the Class 12s are expected 1st Quarter 2023 but we are not taking orders at this stage.

The proposed models are shown below, each is limited to 300 pieces.

Peter C

Established Member

Kernow Class 11 (LMS/LNER & GWR versions) and Class 12 on the way!
The real things look quite interesting - could have been a good couple of new models on the market but sadly they're only limited to 300 models each. I understand the potential thinking of it if it's a commission but Model Rail for Heljan, but I expect Heljan could produce these as part of their normal range and they could have sold many more.

-Peter

foggy69

I am surprised that Bachmann hasn't done a refurbished CEP to compliment the wonderful original version they do. I would definitely have one in NSE and one in Jaffa Cake.
On my list would also be a CIG, BIG, SR 2EPB, 455, 456, 319, 377 and the converted 4SUB Sandite units.

cossie4i

I am surprised that Bachmann hasn't done a refurbished CEP to compliment the wonderful original version they do. I would definitely have one in NSE and one in Jaffa Cake.
I have always held back from getting a original version.
A CEP is my favourite 400 class. I used to really enjoy driving them.
I only ever drove the refurbished ones and would get at least one of each livery if it was ever produced.

simple simon

Whilst I think the priority needs to be modern stock, in particular EMUs for older fans I'd go for

Southern - Leader class
LMS - Big Bertha and early diesel shunters, jack-shaft etc and old Merseyside & North London EMUs
LNER - Streamlined B17; U1 and streamlined P2 - NER electric locos 1-13 and Tyneside articulated EMUs
BR - 10100, 11001

haha, there
Its possible to buy models of the LNER 1937 articulated Tyneside Electrics from Shapeways. These are available in many scales and 3D printed to order. But this only covers the body - for the chassis, internal fittings, equipment below the chassis etc you have to find other suppliers. Also, being unpainted you must do this too!

Status
Not open for further replies.