• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What, no 70013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I just noticed this today on wnxx...

The next batch of Freightliner Class 70s heading this way looks set to be 70014 70015 70016 and 70017.

Why no 70013? do they want to avoid confusion with a certain Britannia pacific? :o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member

Roylang

I just noticed this today on wnxx...

Why no 70013? do they want to avoid confusion with a certain Britannia pacific? :o

I would imagine some simple answer such as 70013 failed in test and has not accumulated the number of fault free hours needed to ship it over here.

Roy

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I saw one in the flesh for the first time recently, somehow they look worse close up. I do think it's nice to have a bit more variety when it comes to freight locos and these do sound good.

rail-britain

Established Member
What about the replacement 70012? i thought that was due in the next batch.
There will only be one loco in that batch, if 70012 is repaired, as it will come back from Canada
The rest will be from Turkey
I've looked at recent photos from Canada, and only 70012 seems to be present (and unchanged)

Dreadnought

There will only be one loco in that batch, if 70012 is repaired, as it will come back from Canada

I thought the GE factory was in Erie, Pennsylvania, USA and this was where 70012 is now located.

It was the GM built 66s that came from Canada.

Rugd1022

I saw one in the flesh for the first time recently, somehow they look worse close up. I do think it's nice to have a bit more variety when it comes to freight locos and these do sound good.

Each to their own! Had the chance to clamber about on one at Basford Hall yesterday when dumping a pair of 66s in the yard after a ballast job, the more I see them the more they grow on me... apart from the aweful front end I think they're an impressive piece of kit in the flesh. The cab doors shut with a nice solid 'clunk' and the soundtrack is rather nice when they come past you in the dead of night. I keep hearing rumours we're going to learn them at Rugby but nothing's happened yet.

;)

Arriva158

70012 will NOT be coming back and will be having parts salvaged from it to make a new uni as the internals are all tip-top shape it's just the bogie decided to make it look like a banana boat after it's lovely trip onto it's arse!...

The Decapod

I know the number 13 is supposed to be unlucky, but 70013 is a different number and so there's no reason to suppose it's any more unlucky than, say, 113 or even 1300, simply because it has a 1 followed by a 3! The 13th class 70 built might be considered unlucky, but it will always be the 13th one, whatever number its' given.

Schnellzug

Established Member
i can't think of any examples from steam, diesel or electric traction where number 13 has been notably unfortunate, can anyone? The other 70013 and Western D1013, for instance, were both quite lucky in surviving where most of their sisters didn't.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
* Perhaps LNER 113 in being rebuilt by Thompson, mind. :|

mbonwick

Established Member
More likely that no.13 hasn't rolled of the production line yet, they don't have to be made in order.

Also I was of the impression that a new 70012 will be delivered (with the same number) as the unfortunate one never made it onto the UK system.

Temple Meads

Established Member
More likely that no.13 hasn't rolled of the production line yet, they don't have to be made in order.

Also I was of the impression that a new 70012 will be delivered (with the same number) as the unfortunate one never made it onto the UK system.

Did insurance pay out for the damaged loco then?

Roylang

Did insurance pay out for the damaged loco then?

Whether insurance pays out or not is irrelevent. The loco was never delivered and, therefore, never accepted. Just as if you were buying a new car, you would expect a replacement new car to be provided if the garage wrote the original one off before you got it.

However, I am sure that somebody's insurance will be paying, yes.

Roy

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Im not sure I like the Class 70, they remind me too much of american rolling stock and it makse me shudder to think that American style locomotives will soon be taking over.
Class 60s are how I think a modern freight diesel should look.... and they should only ever be painted in Railfreight Grey :)

the sniper

Established Member
Im not sure I like the Class 70, they remind me too much of american rolling stock and it makse me shudder to think that American style locomotives will soon be taking over.

As opposed to the Canadian ones that have already taken over. ;)

SGS

There was a Turkish-built demo Class 70-a-like pictured in the railway press recently. Could that one be destined to become 70013?

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Class 60s are how I think a modern freight diesel should look.... and they should only ever be painted in Railfreight Grey :)

The 70 is nothing like the locos here in the US! The typical freight locos are so huge they wouldn't get anywhere near British rails, and the modern passenger locos are actually very European in appearance.

NJT_PL42AC.jpg

800px-ALP-46A_4629_at_Convent_Station.JPG

HSTEd

Veteran Member
This

Side walkways and those funny sticky out components which I believe are the radiators or oil coolers, it just looks horrible, long live the flat sided box. :D

Royston Vasey

Established Member
This

Side walkways and those funny sticky out components which I believe are the radiators or oil coolers, it just looks horrible, long live the flat sided box. :D

I see what you mean. It was ever thus though - Class 20, 55, 58 all reminiscent of US locos in different ways

Status
Not open for further replies.