• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What now..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

the stripler

Ok, ive done the interviews and assesments, got the job and start date.

What can i expect the next few weeks and months to hold. I understand the first week will be an induction to the company, but after that ??

Any light thrown greatfully appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Ok, ive done the interviews and assesments, got the job and start date.

What can i expect the next few weeks and months to hold. I understand the first week will be an induction to the company, but after that ??

Any light thrown greatfully appreciated

Some form of training I would imagine. It might help others to give you a more detailed response if you let us know what position you've been accepted for ;)

Smurf

I imagine one of the very first things will be a PTS (Personal Track Safety) course, to certify you on the line.

Beveridges

Established Member
PTS, Rules in classroom (10 week?), core traction (mix of classroom and going to a maintenance depot), a few weeks second manning, 250 hrs practical handling which includes learning core routes. Several intermin tests and a big assessment at the end to pass out. Further routes and traction may be added after passing out. That's it in summary anyway.

Last edited:

the stripler

Ok, thanks for that. iv read a few online blogs now which have given a good idea of what to expect also.

Is it a fairly high rate of success passing the training???

Ive left a secure job to do this and will give it my all, but just curious of pass rate....

GB

Established Member
Is it a fairly high rate of success passing the training???

There are some that will struggle and decide its not for them and there maybe the occasional one or two that won't make the grade but all in all after classroom stuff the pass right will be pretty high.

Your mentor won't (or shouldn't) put you forward for the final assessment if he doesn't think your ready.

The 250 hours practical handling is also just an estimate. If you need more time you will be given more time (within reason) and if your ready before the 250 hours that is fine also.

Remember, even after passing out and on your own you will still be learning. In fact if you ask most drivers they will say the real learning only starts once your on your own.

Smurf

I would imagine that at this stage, the emphasis is less on them assessing people for their suitability, you've already done that by passing the interviews and assessment.

They've committed to investing a lot of money in you to qualify you as a driver, so pat yourself on the back for beating the odds and having worked hard to achieve your dream job!

Just prove that you are willing to learn and take it seriously, and don't give in if it gets difficult and you'll be fine.

the stripler

Thanks GB and Smurf,

Last minute nerves i guess, ive put my notice into my current employer and its caused a fair bit of shock. Most people thinking i was there till retirement, which is still 23 years away. This is the dream job for me and with the kids and mortgage still needing catered for, i guess i just want to minimalise the risk of being left high n dry. Ive read a few posts here about how intense the course is, but im up for it .....:lol:

AntoniC

I have been doing the same job for the last 6 years, and I still ask questions at work.

I see it as a sign of maturity that I still ask questions, its the fool who doesnt know what they are doing and carries on regardless hoping they get it right.

I am sure you WILL succeed and the TOC see you as a valuable investment, otherwise they wouldnt have recruited you.

Good luck !

AntoniC

I am a Civil Servant (who gets to 24 years service next month), stayed in the same Govt Department, but have done different jobs.

I love my job, pay isnt bad, but most importantly I love the work & the people I work with.

I am sure you will love what you are going to do !.

Mix107

Thanks GB and Smurf,

Last minute nerves i guess, ive put my notice into my current employer and its caused a fair bit of shock. Most people thinking i was there till retirement, which is still 23 years away. This is the dream job for me and with the kids and mortgage still needing catered for, i guess i just want to minimalise the risk of being left high n dry. Ive read a few posts here about how intense the course is, but im up for it .....:lol:

Hi, I'm in the same situation. Start as a trainee driver for Greater Anglia next month. Also have kids, mortgage, etc. and I'd be lying if I said I haven't had some of those thoughts in the back of mind with a family to support. However I've given up all my other 3 jobs, inc. casual and self employment to focus on the one to ensure I can give it my full focus, even if the trainee wage is tight. I was previously a Signaller 5 yrs ago and that was a 12 week intensive course, but scored 95% plus on the assessments so using that as encouragement. Looking forward to it and best of all having one job. Which TOC are you joining?

Regards

NI 271

ive put my notice into my current employer and its caused a fair bit of shock. Most people thinking i was there till retirement, which is still 23 years away.

That would be my position if I ever got taken on by a TOC. I've been with the company I work for for 20 years next month, and I would be able to leave with full pension in another 20 (by which time I'd be 61). I think there would be quite a few there who would be shocked if I were to hand my notice in, and there will be two senior managers who will (hopefully) soon be shocked by being asked to provide references for me, both of whom expect me to remain with the company and achieve further promotions within it. Although I still love my job, there have been a few reasons of late to give me serious doubts as to whether the branch will still exist in 12 months' time, or if it did, as to whether my current job would still exist, or at least pay the relatively decent salary it does at the moment. Would mean a hefty pay cut if I did get a trainee driver position, not ideal when I've been struggling to keep myself afloat with mortgage/kids etc over the last few years, but that would eventually become a raise if I then made it to fully qualified, and as anyone who knows me will testify, I'm not frightened of a bit of overtime...:lol:

the stripler

Hi, I'm in the same situation. Start as a trainee driver for Greater Anglia next month. Also have kids, mortgage, etc. and I'd be lying if I said I haven't had some of those thoughts in the back of mind with a family to support. However I've given up all my other 3 jobs, inc. casual and self employment to focus on the one to ensure I can give it my full focus, even if the trainee wage is tight. I was previously a Signaller 5 yrs ago and that was a 12 week intensive course, but scored 95% plus on the assessments so using that as encouragement. Looking forward to it and best of all having one job. Which TOC are you joining?

Regards

Hi mate,
start nov 5th with first scotrail
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That would be my position if I ever got taken on by a TOC. I've been with the company I work for for 20 years next month, and I would be able to leave with full pension in another 20 (by which time I'd be 61). I think there would be quite a few there who would be shocked if I were to hand my notice in, and there will be two senior managers who will (hopefully) soon be shocked by being asked to provide references for me, both of whom expect me to remain with the company and achieve further promotions within it. Although I still love my job, there have been a few reasons of late to give me serious doubts as to whether the branch will still exist in 12 months' time, or if it did, as to whether my current job would still exist, or at least pay the relatively decent salary it does at the moment. Would mean a hefty pay cut if I did get a trainee driver position, not ideal when I've been struggling to keep myself afloat with mortgage/kids etc over the last few years, but that would eventually become a raise if I then made it to fully qualified, and as anyone who knows me will testify, I'm not frightened of a bit of overtime...:lol:

Yeah, im having to drop about 7k while on the training salary, which will be tight, but i keep telling myself its for a year and then things will increase and eventually surpass my current wage which is not ever going to get any higher

Status
Not open for further replies.