• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What ticket do I need for these journeys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil35

Tomorrow I will be travelling from Leeds to Barnsley. Then, on Thursday I will travel from Barnsley to Halifax, and finally on Friday I will go from Halifax to Bradford.

What is the cheapest ticket or combination of tickets I require here? I will be travelling at off peak times, and I have a YP railcard.

This is what I have come up with so far:

Halifax - Barnsley Anytime Return @ £9.10 (starting short at Leeds)
Halifax - Bradford Stations Anytime Day Single @ 1.50
TOTAL: £10.60

Leeds - Barnsley Anytime Return @ £6.60
Leeds - Halifax Anytime Day Single @ £2.65
Halifax - Bradford Stations Anytime Day Single @ £1.50
TOTAL: £10.75

So option 1 would be cheaper. I'm not that familiar with excess, so can you tell me if there is there a way to excess a Leeds - Barnsley Anytime Return to be valid as far as Halifax, but only on the return leg? If so, could you explain how the price for such a ticket is calculated?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What's wrong with Bradford Yk Stns - Barnsley Route Any Permitted Anytime Return @ £8.90? Valid both ways so you can start short on the first day at Leeds.

Barnsley - Bradford Group is valid on map WK or WY.

phil35

Ah of course! I know that a Bradford - Barnsley Anytime Return isn't valid via Penistone, and I figured that if I went via Halifax I would end up changing at Huddersfield onto the Penistone line so didn't think that a Bradford - Barnsley ticket was valid via Halifax. That's a great help though, thanks.

Is there still nothing I could do with excesses to bring the price down a little further seeing as I'm starting short on the outward leg? If not no problem, just wondering.

And yes, I will be travelling after 1000.

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
I know that a Bradford - Barnsley Anytime Return isn't valid via Penistone
But Bradford - Penistone is the same price as Bradford - Barnsley for all ticket types and a Bradford - Penistone ticket of any type is valid via Barnsley or via Denby Dale and is valid for break of journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.