• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What tune does your local ice cream van play ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bovverboy

Established Member
Ours plays Three Blind Mice. Changed from Teddy Bears Picnic a couple of years ago.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd never noticed it was a tune, other than what I'd describe as "generic ice cream van."

Established Member
One in Cheshire was playing the Benny Hilly theme.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There was a brief period of time when there was a van that came round this way, but it didn't last long and I can't remember what tune it played.

When I was younger I used to visit my gran in Coatbridge during the holidays and there were three vans that came round the estate. One played 'Lara's Theme' from Doctor Zhivago, and another played one of the Souza marches. I can't remember the tune that the third one played, but they used to change it more often than the others.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ours plays Three Blind Mice. Changed from Teddy Bears Picnic a couple of years ago.

Where I am: varies between "The Teddy Bears' Picnic"; and the rousing "circus" thing -- DUM-dum-diddle-iddle-UM-dum-DUM-dum (would that be, "The Entry of the Gladiators"?). I'd be hard put to it, to say which I find more annoying.

Ostrich

"Greensleeves", I think, but I haven't seen him around for quite a few Summers now.
Another English tradition dying out?

Bovverboy

Established Member
Mention of ice cream vans in Coatbridge (post #6, above), reminds me of the Glasgow ice cream wars of the early 1980s, which led to an arson attack causing the deaths of six members of a family.

ungreat

"Greensleeves", I think, but I haven't seen him around for quite a few Summers now.
Hardly an English tradition....I live in a mainly Muslim area and there's 4 regular ice cream vans here run by local guys!
Lovely too!
One of them did have the Fawlty Towers theme as its chime too !

Paul Jones 88

The old 'Just One Cornetto' advert music, from the days that a thread about annoying adverts would be rendered superfluous.

johnnychips

Established Member
‘Oranges and Lemons say the bells of St Clement’s’ here in Sheffield, though when I was a kid in the 60s, Fairclough’s of Stalybridge were much more highbrow and played ‘The Merry Widow’.

skyhigh

Established Member
There used to be one near me that drove around playing Daddy Cool by Boney M.....

Domh245

Established Member
My local plays "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside" - in South London

Calthrop

Established Member
Greensleeves is the traditional ice cream van tune

We're given to understand that the tune of "Greensleeves" was composed by Henry VIII. One wonders how the ability to see half a millennium or so into the future, would have had him feeling. From the general perception of that guy -- likely, greatly desirous of ordering many beheadings...

Gloster

Established Member
We're given to understand that the tune of "Greensleeves" was composed by Henry VIII. One wonders how the ability to see half a millennium or so into the future, would have had him feeling. From the general perception of that guy -- likely, greatly desirous of ordering many beheadings...

Probably another myth, I am afraid. I am no musical expert, but it is considered that the musical style is one that did not appear in England until long after Henry’s death. That said, it is thought that Henry was more musically talented than many of his successors.

Calthrop

Established Member
Aagh -- sometimes one feels that all the most pleasing things which we hear about, turn out to be myths ! It does indeed seem that Henry was well-endowed with various talents; even if he was definitely not "Mr. Nice"" -- that, it would seem, was his unfortunate elder brother Arthur, who would have been king if he hadn't died aged fifteen or so.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My local plays "Oh I do like to be beside the seaside" - in South London
Being by the seaside, but a Londoner by birth and inclination, I'd love to report that 'London calling' was our local tune, but sadly not :)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"Pop goes the weasel" seems to be the tune of choice round my way. I did once hear an ice-cream van in the Potteries that was playing a version of their local icon Robbie Williams' hit "Angels"... which I found quite amusing despite not being a fan of Williams or that song. I've also heard a version of Blue Monday, which was pretty cool.

trainmania100

Established Member
My one is quite a common tune , no idea what its called, but the music box sounds like it's on its last legs, more of a bloody nuisance than anything

We have an ice van cream that plays "Who eat all the pies, whoe eat all the pies, you fat B*****d who eat all the pies". Always makes me chuckle.

thenorthern

Established Member
Where I am they normally play O sole mio.

As a kid though my parents used to say if the Ice Cream van plays it's music then it means they have run out of Ice Cream. For years I used to think that was true and even to this day I have to tell myself that it doesn't mean that.

Status
Not open for further replies.