• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would you like to hear from Boris Johnson's announcement on Sunday evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
I would like to hear on sunday that mass gatherings are banned until September

it would make sense considering similar action taken by France and Ireland when they began the process of lifting lockdowns

I hope not because seeing as mass gatherings are banned yet I see the local drunks etc all gathering so it doesn't work, personally I hope the gatherings are permitted as long as precautions are taken.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I hope not because seeing as mass gatherings are banned yet I see the local drunks etc all gathering so it doesn't work, personally I hope the gatherings are permitted as long as precautions are taken.
I think what would be more effective would be to announce that say when it's safe, groups of up to 10 will be allowed to gather, that won't pose too much risk and at the same time it'll keep people busy enough to avoid organising much larger gatherings.

chris11256

I'd like to think that gatherings will be part of his grand roadmap that will be revealed. Will likely have no dates attached to anything, but the stages set out in full.

Aictos

Established Member
I think what would be more effective would be to announce that say when it's safe, groups of up to 10 will be allowed to gather, that won't pose too much risk and at the same time it'll keep people busy enough to avoid organising much larger gatherings.

Issue with that is it means religious gatherings won't be allowed to meet because I doubt you find any place be it a local Mosque, Church or Synogue that sees 10 people or less including the preacher at any service.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I wonder (only a smidgeon facetiously) whether he will actually prepare two rather different statements as to what he sees as the 'road map' (new buzz words) going forward, along the lines of the two differing accounts that were given anonymously (i.e. unattributably) to different media organisations three days ago, which led to such headlines as 'lockdown to end' in the Daily Express on Thursday, but rather less sensational ones in the Times or the Telegraph which were basically what the Welsh government announced yesterday, possibly with the intention of staying Johnson's hand in adopting the more populist, even Trumpian, measures advocated by the right of his party. I think Johnson's hand will have been forced by the Welsh, but also the Scots and Northern Irish, and the death statistics which frankly are nowhere low enough to be abandoning all principles. Boris's desire to be loved, and be all things to all people, defines every thing he does and will, I believe, lead within a very short period of time to seeing him compared to the pre- and post- Irag Tony Blair, with deaths of thousands of people being attributed to his government's policies by some, while vehemently denied by others.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Issue with that is it means religious gatherings won't be allowed to meet because I doubt you find any place be it a local Mosque, Church or Synogue that sees 10 people or less including the preacher at any service.

I think that quite a few early Sunday morning "said communions" do see less than 10 people attending (although that tends to be the point at which such services get stopped for lack of support).

SteveM70

Established Member
I’d like him to speak concisely and factually, without the waffle and vagueness that seems to be his style.

So no chance of that then

bramling

Veteran Member
FWIW I'm actually quite glad of that. I've been doing one long spell of exercise, mostly cycling as I can keep that going longer than running, but I'd probably rather do a shorter spell in the morning and a walk in the late evening. I could get away with that, sure, but I'd rather it was allowed.

I don’t think the people testing the boundaries of exercise time has really been the major problem, as unless there’s people literally going round and round in circles in parks most such people will be tending to go further afield, which in most cases cities excepted should taken them into fairly empty fields.

I think the problems have been caused by those who have been using exercise as an excuse to linger for much longer periods, with activities like picnics and sunbathing. Again if people were finding a genuinely solitary and remote spot to do this it wouldn’t be an issue, but of course in reality people are just parking themselves in the middle of the nearest local park, which when lots of people have the same idea turns open space into an obstacle course.

Having said all that, I have found elements of our local rural walks quite oppressive. For me a rural walk should mean we don’t really see anyone, however it’s certainly been the case at times that standing still for a moment is like being in the middle of a motorway. Fortunately we’re prepared to walk far enough out of town that this eventually becomes less of an issue, but it still makes the first couple of miles a little unpleasant - this has been the case even quite late into the evening. Some normally pleasant paths round here are also now full of dog mess too, and over time various passive-aggressive laminated notices have appeared. In that sense I don’t think much will change, apart from perhaps more people sitting around rather than moving.

Really I’d like to see people back to work, schools open and furloughing heavily pared back. Trouble is everything is inter-dependent, and it seems to be proving difficult to find the first foothold.

muz379

Established Member
They may want it, but they’re unlikely to get it for as long as a proportion of staff are shielded. The remaining staff can’t be expected to keep running the show forever, the collective supply of fuel will run out. There’s a limit to how much rest day working and the like can be worked before people burn out. Ultimately that could prove dangerous.

Some choices may have to be made regarding which parts of the network are a priority, or which times of day, as allocation of resources in a way which maximises benefits may be necessary.
To be fair , with no need for really late night services I still think at some depots there is capacity to increase services in the day even with numbers still shielding . Obviously it will be depot by depot .
Really I’d like to see people back to work, schools open and furloughing heavily pared back. Trouble is everything is inter-dependent, and it seems to be proving difficult to find the first foothold.
First logical step to me seems to be reopening schools , cannot get people back to work with schools closed . The plans for that are I believe due anyday now . There are hurdles to that though . A proportion of teaching staff still having to shield could cause bigger class sizes , could make it harder to socially distance , could make it impractical . Teachers unions also raising questions over PPE , more budget for increased cleaning and LA powers to shut schools in a particular area of transmission in a particular area becomes apparent .

ChrisC

Established Member
I think that quite a few early Sunday morning "said communions" do see less than 10 people attending (although that tends to be the point at which such services get stopped for lack of support).

Sadly, with the decline in church attendance in recent years, some churches in both rural and the more difficult urban areas are struggling to get as many as 10 people to any service. Once you take the people shielding and the over 70’s into consideration I think many churches will have numbers in single figures.

The livelier churches in more affluent areas with younger clergy, and large younger computer literate congregations, have found lots of innovative ways to live stream services and use social media to keep going. However, there are also churches where struggling elderly congregations will find it very difficult to get their churches open and functioning again even in a limited way. The financial burden and maintaining large buildings and churchyards is also going to cause problems. Also many churches have for years relied on the services of elderly retired clergy who will not at first be available.

It has also been difficult for some people to understand why there can be huge queues at supermarkets and even the local B & Q can be open, and yet the churches are locked so that people cannot even go inside to be quiet, say a prayer or light a candle at this difficult time.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
I would like to hear on sunday that mass gatherings are banned until September

it would make sense considering similar action taken by France and Ireland when they began the process of lifting lockdowns

As it is, in at least some organisers are apprehensive about allowing mass gatherings. Thus the August Edinburgh Festival and Notting Hill Carnival are cancelled this year.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Ramping up the price of public transport will be a blow for the tourist sector as well.
Quite. Especially as there already seems to be a concern that car use will rise.
The radius is going to have to be considerably less than 50 miles. I think I would go for 10 miles - that is enough for everyone to get out into local countryside and local attractions. 50 miles means that a lot of people can get to Brighton for example.
I doubt many of the high risk people would though. For example, I doubt my dad is going to rush out of his house to go to Brighton beach on the first day that it's allowed.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
First logical step to me seems to be reopening schools , cannot get people back to work with schools closed . The plans for that are I believe due anyday now.
Wales and Scotland have confirmed this last week that they won’t be reopening schools this side of the summer break. I really can’t see how we can get a lot of the economy moving again until schools are back because I’d say a good majority of workers will have kids that they’ll need to look after. I fear that the decision they made is a little premature (similar to how I think they cancelled exams due to a panic and they could’ve still run socially distanced) and that they’ll regret it when they see how little workers return when they give the green light.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I'd suspect what's happened is that the lane concerned (it isn't quite in the middle of nowhere as there's housing within a mile or so) has been being used as a local exercise route, and someone has taken exception to the fact that they've seen the same person at the crossing for a period of time. It doesn't quite meet the OP's description of a field in the middle of nowhere, as there's a road leading there. The sort of places the OP envisaged will no doubt be those involving a reasonable walk having left the roads. The police simply won't be chasing people across fields.
They don't even chase illegal motorbikes and quad bikes in Cardiff (they admitted as much when I contacted them). Too busy picking on tourists in the Brecon beacons.

Bikeman78

Established Member
That won't work, as the natural answer to that is "I'll take the risk, then". As I've said I'm not scared of it at all, really.

The message still needs to be that you might kill your family by being inconsiderate. I would be scared of that.
How would you kill your family? My parents are both safely tucked up at home and I'm unlikely to see them for a few months. They get food delivered. All the people at my place of work that are at risk, or have husbands/wives/kids at risk, have been signed off for 12 weeks.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How would you kill your family? My parents are both safely tucked up at home and I'm unlikely to see them for a few months. They get food delivered. All the people at my place of work that are at risk, or have husbands/wives/kids at risk, have been signed off for 12 weeks.

I'd have a job too as mine are 200 miles away, I'm not allowed to go there anyway. Even if I was I'd think twice at the moment.

But plenty of people have them a lot nearer, or might live with them. A lot of the advertising aimed at twentysomethings has pushed that - "girlfriend has severe asthma", "lives with his Nan" etc.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
BARBERS!!!!

And amateur cricket.

Garden Centres were obliged to close. That's despite many of them being as large as supermarkets with plenty of internal space and having "stores within stores" such as pet supplies and food counters that would have been allowed to stay open as stand alone premises. Also of course supermarkets were fully able to sell some of the goods you might otherwise source from a Garden Centre.

Our nearby garden centre never closed - it is also a farm shop. Doing a stirling service selling organic fruit, veg and other products. Plus a full range of bedding plants and fertilisers!

Restoration of dental treatment services .

Still bad chief? Bad luck.

On point 1, can anyone explain why local takeaways haven't been closed down atm due to Covid19 yet McDs, Starbucks, KFC etc have?

Many local takeaways have closed. However one reason is that most local takeaways are ‘owner operated’, and therefore less likely to worry about the potential duty of care issues with their staff, particularly if their staff are basically family / friends.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I note that the new message has been announced, changing from “Stay Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives” to “Stay Alert, Control the Virus, Save Lives”, whilst this is absolutely a step in the right direction, I can’t help but think that this won’t reduce the fears of the pro lockdown group who are convinced that if they step out of their front door they’ll drop dead from it. I think there needs to be a wider shift in focus from not catching it to protecting the country and deaths from all causes rather than making the “big, scary virus” terrify people inside

RealTrains07

Established Member
I agree. I was mainly referring to what i think johnson should do with mass gathering like events such as festivals.

It will be interesting to see what action Johnson takes with both types of mass gatherings.

Bikeman78

Established Member
BARBERS!!!!

Many local takeaways have closed. However one reason is that most local takeaways are ‘owner operated’, and therefore less likely to worry about the potential duty of care issues with their staff, particularly if their staff are basically family / friends.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but McDonalds didn't have to close. They probably took the view that it wasn't profitable to remain open. Once the furlough scheme ramps down, places will have to open again. That's the point at which many will go bankrupt.

At the moment, I'd rather hand over my money to local takeaways than big chains. I don't want my favourite curry house to shut down.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but McDonalds didn't have to close. They probably took the view that it wasn't profitable to remain open. Once the furlough scheme ramps down, places will have to open again. That's the point at which many will go bankrupt.

At the moment, I'd rather hand over my money to local takeaways than big chains. I don't want my favourite curry house to shut down.

No they didn’t have to close, but did so to protect the safety of their staff and presumably customers.

The Ham

Established Member
If nothing else I'd like a minor change, so that parents could take their primary school aged children out for exercise in addition to their own exercise for the day.

(Although I do think that there'll be more of a release on lockdown than that, but probably not too much, so probably not pubs - sorry).

Jamesrob637

Established Member
TBH I've quite enjoyed the 3 day weekends, I'm still working as normal (remotely). To everyone else I suppose not, but then there's no *harm* in them if you're furloughed either, they are just totally neutral.

I was due to work Good Friday and the late-May Monday bank. I didn't do GF due to furlough and I may not be back before/on the 25th. The extra dosh is definitely out of the question but I'm not sure what the stance is on the lieu day if you don't work Bank Holiday due to furlough rather than sickness (where you would obviously lose both).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The 2 metre rule could do with tweaking, but as it is at least it is easy to understand. Maybe: something like it being okay to pass within 1m if you're moving, but stay 2m apart if stationary. That way I wouldn't get so many old ladies (so far it's only been old ladies) shooing me away like a naughty cat should we meet on a narrowish pavement or footpath.

I'd also like to see harsh penalties introduced for obstructing public footpaths and for putting up unauthorised home-made "go home" signs: something else that I have seen around here.
Very much agreed; this is all common sense, so may not happen. The 2m rule is ridiculous when WHO advises 1m.
They might have a partial point with the way some runners seem not to have grasped any concept of distancing.
Not this again! This has been debunked in previous threads on many occasions
To be fair , with no need for really late night services I still think at some depots there is capacity to increase services in the day even with numbers still shielding . Obviously it will be depot by depot .
First logical step to me seems to be reopening schools , cannot get people back to work with schools closed . The plans for that are I believe due anyday now . There are hurdles to that though . A proportion of teaching staff still having to shield could cause bigger class sizes , could make it harder to socially distance , could make it impractical . Teachers unions also raising questions over PPE , more budget for increased cleaning and LA powers to shut schools in a particular area of transmission in a particular area becomes apparent .
Regarding Secondary schools, I'd like to see Year 7 (and maybe Year 8) back, but it sounds like this won't happen. It's the Year 7s in particular who are most likely to require childcare, and I believe it's mostly that yeargroup who key workers are sending to school at the current time. But it sounds like they will have Year 10s back because it's all about exams these days. As a compromise I'd have Year 7 (and maybe Year 8) in Monday - Thursday (many parents will get, or be able to get, Fridays off anyway) and Year 10s in on Friday, and doing online working on other days. Furthermore, younger students are less likely to pass on the virus if they do get it. But I accept it's not going to happen.
If nothing else I'd like a minor change, so that parents could take their primary school aged children out for exercise in addition to their own exercise for the day.

(Although I do think that there'll be more of a release on lockdown than that, but probably not too much, so probably not pubs - sorry).
Agreed. In my local park I've seen numerous occasions where parents have been sat on the grass or benches while the children play. It does no-one any harm and no sane person would object. However technically that's against the rules. Therefore, the rules need changing.

Exercising more than once per day has always been allowed but it would be good if it wasn't advised against. The fact this was ever advised against demonstrates how fundamentally flawed and counterproductive some of the guidance is.

Last edited:

initiation

I fear the reality is going to be that we wil have a few tweaks such as garden centres and unlimited exercise that was never banned in the first place and that will be all.

I'm really hoping for a rapid road map for moving out of lockdown. Meet up with small groups of family/friends in 1 week, all shops permitted to open within 2 weeks, schools as soon as possible. I think the devolved government's extending their lockdown have not helped this course of action.

I think there needs to be a wider shift in focus from not catching it to protecting the country and deaths from all causes rather than making the “big, scary virus” terrify people inside

The scared factor is an important one that needs addressing. Somebody posted on my local Facebook page a long made up story about how just meeting up with friends for a chat in the park would lead to the death (all alone in an overrun hospital) of your girlfriend/wife.

I suggested a more likely scenario being somebody gets it, has no or few symptoms, then is fine.

They definitely didn't like that and said
if the virus so far hasn't scared you, something should! How is being scared a useful mindset?

Aictos

Established Member

I'm not aware of any that have such low turnouts indeed the services I go to have more then that, in any case such services should be allowed to be reopened unlike other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.