• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the state of your local station?

What condition is your local station in?

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Average

• Minor Investment Needed

• Major Investment Needed

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

joeholmes said:
I Have too say that Marlow station is quite out of your league, with two seats, a clock AND a timetable which has graffiti all over it! I think that it has too win the worst station award!

Joe

you think thats bad, i have seen worse!

HBA135

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My local station, Cottingham, used to be a lovely little station with two waiting rooms, a booking office, toilets etc. However, it is now completely unmanned, the waiting room is always locked, there are no toilets and Arriva painted the grand old footbridge into a hideous green colour, as well as the rest of the station :( (it was in BR Blue)

Meanwhile, my nearest major station in Hull is a beautiful station which has sadly been neglected. It has a huge trainshed, 7 platforms, but is starting to look tatty. Hopefully some major investment coming soon will put the station back on track :)

jonb

Established Member
Jonathan said:
Tilehurst I have to say is in a very poor state. It use to be a nice station with flower beds in the middle platform until Thames Trains came along and took them out leaving a mess at the end of the platform. The station ticket office floor collapsed almost a year ago and first have not paid a penny towards re-building it. The toilets are locked when no one is on duty at the station but that is most of the time as it is only staffed in the mornings if "Ray" is not ill.

I'll agree with you there mate. I visited Tilehurst the other day I thought it would be a ncie quiet location, well it was until the group of Youths appeared who were intent on causing trouble by sitting on the end on the stairs of platforms 2/3 and shotuing to other passengers, idiots.

steve158

South Wigston is okay considering it's an unmanned halt. not much grafitti and you get the old alky swigging bottles of cider on the leicester side but that's it.

Leicester station is much better but the access is a bit poor.

clagmonster

Established Member
Laverack, the roof at Paragon was done up a few years ago now so should eb in fairly decent state physically. In my opinion, it is still fairly clean and it wouldn't be worth the money to go up there for a clean up yet. Bring back the Coast platforms and reopen the associated branches and it will be grand.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Clagmonster, the roof at Hull paragon is in a terrible state. It is basically corregated plastic and is absolutely filthy - it makes the station seem so dark and gloomy. TPE are completely replacing the roofing in the trainshed, some parts have been completed (see my site for more images of the roof refurbishment)

I can remember some major work on the trainshed at Hull about 7-8 years ago, when half of the trainshed was sealed off, and only about 3/4 platforms were in use. However, I'm not sure what this work involved.

Jonno2055

Apparently Witham Station in essex is shortlisted for the station in bloom in anglia. We have extensive building work being caried out, it looks like to repair the footbridge. :lol:

evil_hippo

Appleby station is brillint, thanks entirely to having a proper stationmaster!

http://zoltan-connell3150.fotopic.net/p17380062.html shows it. What is hidden here is the name "Appleby" written in white stones at the southern end of the up platform.

It has a number of awards recognising it, next time I go to to Apppleby station (and I'm never away for long :) ) I will find out exactly what they are.

Harold

Coxster said:
My local, Farnborough Main, is currently undergoing work. It's being repainted, modernised etc and the staff are always Friendly.

and there was yorkie saying at one point that Farnborough Main is a villege, not a town

lol! :D

HBA135

T

Tom

Farnborough Main is a village, a large village, eh Coxster? ;)

My personal favourite station, (don't ask why) is Bournemouth. ;) It went under over the railway line reconstruction a while back, but was finished very quickly. :)

Harold

tubechallenger said:
Farnborough Main is a village, a large village, eh Coxster? ;)

My personal favourite station, (don't ask why) is Bournemouth. ;) It went under over the railway line reconstruction a while back, but was finished very quickly. :)

well you would say that as you live in Bournemouth! ;)

HBA135

Lesjordans

all the stations on the Whifflet line bar Glasgow central need manned! its quite scary to go to any of them alone which you often have to do

Tom B

Established Member
TBH Doncaster isn't bad. It could be better definately cleaner, but overall it's in a good state.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I havent taken any pics of my local station, personally, but there are some on this site:
http://www.bristol-rail.co.uk/parkway.php

Its very good, adequate information with several PIS and automated announcements. A cafe bar, several passenger lounges, ticket gates and an upper crust.
Always staffed.

Dave A

The main building and concourse are very modern and clean. The platforms look like the ones you find in your average station. All in all 7/10 :D

ChrisM

Have to agree with Bournemouth,my local station.
Clean,bright,friendly and helpful staff.
Anyone one use Swale,that's got to be the worst on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.