• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's the thing about deltics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
Most powerful single unit diesel locomotive when the prototype launched in 1955.

"Almost" unique application of a "delta shaped" marine engine in a locomotive.

Slashed times on the East Coast Mainline when in squadron service, replacing many more of the steam locomotives that used to operate the service.

Only a small class of locomotives.

Interesting noise when compared to other diesel locomotives.

Retired at a time when diesel preservation was really becoming popular.

Had a second life on scheduled services at the start of preservation, and now a third-life on rail tours and other unusual workings such as freight.

delt1c

Established Member
You had to be there in there heyday. On a still frosty day in London you could hear them idling at Finsbury park from Stamfordhill . Standing at the southend of platform 1 at Waverly when one appeared from the tunnel, or traveling in the front coach , all windows closed end listening to the throbing of that lump. for a really exceptional experience standing in the front coach of a rake of Mk!!'s watch through the gangway windows of that beast swaying at speed.
Had the pleasure of a cab ride Edinburgh to Newcastle, cramped, limited vision ahead but awesome.
As i said you had to experience them in their prime.
R.I.P 55.013

Master29

Established Member
I think all locos had their uniqueness. One persons favourite is another's ire.

In service terms favourite loco`s like the "Deltics" or "Westerns" never even achieved 20 years of mainline service which wouldn`t put them near HST`s in terms of how we define success. Even Voyagers have their fans, although admitting that might not happen just yet. Incidentally, Voyagers will outlast Westerns and Deltics in service years.

Railops

If you're into diesels then these are the Rolls Royce, what a magnificent machine.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
As mentioned above the sound produced by the Deltics was quite unique and unmistakable, standing at the northern end of York station after a class 55 had departed with a Newcastle/Scotland bound express it could normally be heard for a good 5 minutes or so after departure, it's twin Napier engines on full power howling eerily in the still night air as the train sped northwards across the Plain of York. Also towards the end of their days they saw occasional use on the 21:50 York-Shrewsbury TPO as far as Stockport, the loco detached here awaiting its return to York on the northbound service, during this layover at Stockport the unmistakable throbbing of its engines could be clearly heard from where I reside (0.5 miles south of Reddish South station) a good 2 miles from Stockport station.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Don't forget the "vibes" in your belly if you stood about 20 feet away from the midpoint of a Deltic with both engines running.:D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah yes, of course...also your ribs tended to resonate as well :)

That is quite some feeling. I remember the sensation from the first time I experienced it at Didcot in 1987. :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You wouldn't get the vibes in the same way if you were in the engine room; it's a harmonic resonance effect so it's dependent upon the distance from the engines and your own individual build. That's why the best effect is from standing a few feet away amidships with both engines running

On the other hand, ear protection would be essential kit...

Rover

The sound - sent shivers down your spine, made your hair stand on end. I'll never forget the first time I heard one, at Doncaster, a run-through on the down Flying Scotsman in 1976. Unforgettable.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Don't forget the "vibes" in your belly if you stood about 20 feet away from the midpoint of a Deltic with both engines running.:D

On a Class 68 tour, while stood on the platform at Wakefield Kirkgate a couple of weeks ago, another forum member pointed out that the loco was producing the same vibrations as a Deltic.

delt1c

Established Member
Once took a girlfriend into the cab of a deltic at Edinburgh just to let her see . She came out with a big smile

Last edited:

delt1c

Established Member
Did have a nice headcode, well placed horns and screw coupling

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Once took a girlfriend into the cab of a deltic at Edinburgh just to let her see . She came out with a big smile

...something big and throbbing and the windows misted up?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The sound - sent shivers down your spine, made your hair stand on end. I'll never forget the first time I heard one, at Doncaster, a run-through on the down Flying Scotsman in 1976. Unforgettable.

My first encounter with a Deltic was as a 10 year old at the East Lancs Railway Three Deltics weekend in c. 1997. The sound reverberating around Bolton St station was immense.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Can't imagine the racket there must have been in the engine room of one of those torpedo boats.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On a Class 68 tour, while stood on the platform at Wakefield Kirkgate a couple of weeks ago, another forum member pointed out that the loco was producing the same vibrations as a Deltic.

Nowhere near as strong, though, and from experimenting at Marylebone I find you need to stand in a different place to get the best feel of the vibes; try 45° from one corner of the loco... ;)

Brunel 1954

The Deltics were very important locomotives as for their power and acceleration they were able to speed up the East Coast Services and strengthen the competitiveness of rail against other forms of transport. It was sad that they had such a short service life especially compared to their successors the High Speed trains. Within the railway it was hoped that they would have been cascaded to the Western region for secondary services however, this was not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.