• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whats this carriage doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Travelling just north of Leeds yesterday almost immediately after the A1(M) and the M1 split I spotted a carriage on the back of the lorry and was wondering if anyone knew what it was, where it was going from/to and what fate awaited it? One thing that stood out was that isn't that NR logo the same one that Northern Ireland Railways used to use, in which case would that make an ex-NIR carraige?

(Apologies for the poor quality image but it was taken on my phone, out the window the car doing about 70mph!)

Attachments

• P20-06-12_11.08.jpg
    P20-06-12_11.08.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 350
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Sounds like one of th DEMU that they scrapped being scrapped over here for some reason.

fgwrich

Established Member
That would be an ex BR, Ex NIR Mk2 BSO with Generator. Dont forget that Ireland dosent use ETH, so generators are required. As for where this is from, by the looks of it and where youve said you passed it then i would presume that one of the Mk2s from the new storage location for the various homeless / camping Mk2s that used to live up in the dales, right next to the A1(M) south of Scotch Corner - they were all moved onto an airfield somewhere else in the dales when the A1(M) was widend.

As for the InterCity branding - that would indicate that this was one of the Mk2s used on the InterCity Belfast to Dublin services, which would at the time have been either Hunslets or the 111s / GMs.

Peter Jones

The vehicle in question is former NI Railways Mark 2 Brake Standard Generator Van No. 914 (if you look carefully at the picture you can make out the number under the moss!).

This was formerly ex. BR BFK No. 14110 and was puchased by NIR in 1981.

This vehicle was acquired for "preservation" in 2004, and was moved to Sinderby, North Yorkshire, in June 2004, along with four other NIR Mark 2 coaches Nos. 548, 901, 903 and 915. They were stored in a yard adjacent to the A1 trubnk road along with around 24 other ex-BR Mark 2 coaches until around March 2009 when they were moved to Dalton Airfield, as the land on which they were stored was to be used for widening the A1.

They were due to be put up for auction in June 2011 in order to satisfy a court warrant, but the auction was postponed.

If anybody knows the ultimate destination of this vehicle, and if any of the other NIR vehicles are on the move also, can they please post it up here?

Thanks,

Peter Jones (Irish Traction Group)

Boothby97

Established Member
Sinderby was actually at one point home to 47540, which is now on the Wenslydale Railway albeit in a very sad condition.

scoope

Just been doing a bit of digging on this one:

To Northern Ireland as Brake Standard Generator 914. Sold to Ridings Railtours 3/01, shipped 11/01. To Sinderby by 6/04. Presumably again regauged. By 4/09 moved to Dalton Airfield Industrial Estate, near Thirsk.

Then I see that the SOUTH BEDFORDSHIRE RAILWAY SOCIETY LTD had put it in a proposal for a new line at Dunstable. i am unsure when this proposal was made or how it progressed but the coach could be going there ????

Chris125

Established Member
The Dunstable scheme and its founder Alfred Roberts are well known to anyone on the wnxx forum, there has been no real progress as far as im aware.

Chris

Hairy Bear

The Dunstable scheme and its founder Alfred Roberts are well known to anyone on the wnxx forum, there has been no real progress as far as im aware.

Chris

If thts the Dunstable to Luton scheme then No as it's rapidly been turned into the laughable guided bus link. ground works are in progress now.
Sad really.

It will be interesting to see how many of the vehicles at Dalton DO actually go anywhere.

As I am sure you will all say it COULD be a total site clearance - or two or three being sent off - 915 was very bad, 914 looked better but was the 5 foot 3 inches guage... not much good for over here...
Some of those Mk2s are LITERALLY only fit for the choppers!

But one Mk2d brake first was repainted in blue grey recently and they did a good job on it too...

One of the ex - NIR vehicles and a Mk2a brake have also had work done on them (involving the windows removed and painting).

That reminds me - somebody was asking for Mk 2 coach seat moquette recently... - could this be anything to do with this---?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.