• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D1511

Hi.....for those that were interested a few weeks ago (post #1326), the Dapol 73 reject bodies are available again at £10 each. Southern, BR green and SWT liveries available.

sprinterguy

Established Member
My latest purchase? LED strip lighting to better illuminate the layout. :)

For the first time since I moved into the cellar, I can see my little trains in their true colours again, and stand a much better chance of finding whatever diminutive knick knack has just sprung out of my hands!FB_IMG_1701451844308.jpg

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Hi.....for those that were interested a few weeks ago (post #1326), the Dapol 73 reject bodies are available again at £10 each. Southern, BR green and SWT liveries available.
Thanks for this and for your PM. :) A green 73/0 body now bagged.
I'm toying whether it'll get turned into NSE all-blue 73004 "Bluebell Railway", which I saw ex-works at the head of a revenue freight; or as a "never wazza" RES liveried, which I think will rather suit it.

Attachments

• 73004_Bescot.jpg
    73004_Bescot.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 73004_naming_eg_colinburnham_19sep87.jpg
    73004_naming_eg_colinburnham_19sep87.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231206_135122.jpg
    20231206_135122.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I've managed to get a couple of 4CEP bodies from Bachmann. One of the TSOs from a green set had a glue problem and the windows got all misted up.

I know windows did get misted up in real life but these really were bad. Unfortunately, the relevant TSO body was out of stock so I bought a different numbered one and guess I can just renumber it.

Any ideas where I can get the correct transfers? It's a green body. Also, what's the best way of removing old carriage numbers without spoiling the body?

TIA

I've managed to get a couple of 4CEP bodies from Bachmann. One of the TSOs from a green set had a glue problem and the windows got all misted up.

I know windows did get misted up in real life but these really were bad. Unfortunately, the relevant TSO body was out of stock so I bought a different numbered one and guess I can just renumber it.

Any ideas where I can get the correct transfers? It's a green body. Also, what's the best way of removing old carriage numbers without spoiling the body?

TIA
Which TSO number did you need in green. I might have a spare coach...

4COR

Managed to find a super deal on a complete set of Hornby 59' Bulleids that make up set 972 in BR(S) - did sell a lone Maunsell BTK I had to help fund them, but one coach for a full set seemed reasonable...

The CKs from the three BR sets that were produced by Hornby seem quite hard to find compared to the BTKs, so pleased to have got this set! Just have to hunt for the other 2 CKs (S 5713/ S 5714) now...

PXL_20231205_124422428~2.jpg
(Image showing 3 boxed Hornby Bulleids in BR(S) green)

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Amazing find @4COR

Managed to find a super deal on a complete set of Hornby 59' Bulleids that make up set 972 in BR(S) - did sell a lone Maunsell BTK I had to help fund them, but one coach for a full set seemed reasonable...

The CKs from the three BR sets that were produced by Hornby seem quite hard to find compared to the BTKs, so pleased to have got this set! Just have to hunt for the other 2 CKs (S 5713/ S 5714) now...

View attachment 147869
(Image showing 3 boxed Hornby Bulleids in BR(S) green)
Actually...if Hornby can manufacture Bulleids, then they can do a SR 2EPB....

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
Amazing find @4COR

Not the joined up thinking Hornby are known for. There is a glut of the Bulleid brake coaches because showing how clueless they are they had as many made as the non brake coaches.

4COR

Amazing find @4COR

The 2EPB, (and 4EPB!) would be hard to resist.
Not the joined up thinking Hornby are known for. There is a glut of the Bulleid brake coaches because showing how clueless they are they had as many made as the non brake coaches.
D'oh... I'll need to check at somepoint if there were any odd mixed formations that need the 59' Bulleid Brakes.

silexa

Bit slow on my update but recent acquisitions include:
- Bachmann Colas Rail Class 70
- Accurascale 97301
- Accurascale 37608
- Accurascale 37423
- LNER Mk 4 Coaches (Full rake)

Theres a few wagons and smaller items too but they were the main purchases

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Spent my Christmas money and more a little early, but you don't see a Graham Farish Class 150 in FGW livery show up on eBay every day.

xotGD

Established Member
It has been several months since I last had anything to post to this thread - being outbid on eBay far too often.

However, I have now added to my "stock based at the KWVR" collection with a Tube:

Tube.jpg

I don't have my own photo of the real thing, but it is pictured here:

Not quite the right colour, but the first time I've been able to get one in my budget!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It has been several months since I last had anything to post to this thread - being outbid on eBay far too often.

However, I have now added to my "stock based at the KWVR" collection with a Tube:

View attachment 148457

I don't have my own photo of the real thing, but it is pictured here:

Not quite the right colour, but the first time I've been able to get one in my budget!

That’s nice. I’m only looking at it on my small phone screen but are the different colour panels a representation of replacement wooden planks?

xotGD

Established Member
That’s nice. I’m only looking at it on my small phone screen but are the different colour panels a representation of replacement wooden planks?
Yes. It is the "weathered" version of the model.

D1511

^what a strange contribution......

Back on topic, something a bit different from me today.......for my weathering projects at N gauge, because, as we all know, everything running on any railway in any age will be dirty! ;)

It comes with a super-fine 0.15mm spray nozzle as well as a 0.4mm one, and two different sized paint cups. I've had a play with it on the 24 to dirty it up a bit, but I've still got a lot more to do. But the 0.15mm nozzle is incredible!

20231217_183816.jpg

20231003_153424.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
^what a strange contribution......

Back on topic, something a bit different from me today.......for my weathering projects at N gauge, because, as we all know, everything running on any railway in any age will be dirty! ;)

It comes with a super-fine 0.15mm spray nozzle as well as a 0.4mm one, and two different sized paint cups. I've had a play with it on the 24 to dirty it up a bit, but I've still got a lot more to do. But the 0.15mm nozzle is incredible!

View attachment 148705

View attachment 148706

That looks absolutely brilliant. Lovely fine finish you’ve got there mister. I’ll be sending my stuff to you now. :lol:

D1511

That looks absolutely brilliant. Lovely fine finish you’ve got there mister. I’ll be sending my stuff to you now. :lol:
Thanks mate, but I'd still be terrified doing anyone else's models! Let me get my own fleet done for your critical assessment first! Most acrylic mistakes are easily remedied mind you, but this new airbrush has a handy valve adjustment so you can limit the amount of paint release when pulling the button to limit the risk of minor catastrophes!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks mate, but I'd still be terrified doing anyone else's models! Let me get my own fleet done for your critical assessment first! Most acrylic mistakes are easily remedied mind you, but this new airbrush has a handy valve adjustment so you can limit the amount of paint release when pulling the button to limit the risk of minor catastrophes!

I really need to get a decent airbrush. If only there was an opportunity coming up where it was possible to ask family members to get you things that make you feel really happy…

D1511

I really need to get a decent airbrush. If only there was an opportunity coming up where it was possible to ask family members to get you things that make you feel really happy…
Haha, yes, if only such an occasion were coming up in the next week, that would've been ideal! ;)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
It comes with a super-fine 0.15mm spray nozzle as well as a 0.4mm one, and two different sized paint cups
Fabulous weathering there, M. Your "having a play on the 24" is superior to the finishes I have seen on larger scales. :)

That 'brush is a Harder & Steenbeck? Looks a cracking piece of kit. The 2-nozzle set I found online, is a couple of hundred; and I guess the finish on your Sulzer, shows why.

D1511

Fabulous weathering there, M. Your "having a play on the 24" is superior to the finishes I have seen on larger scales. :)

That 'brush is a Harder & Steenbeck? Looks a cracking piece of kit. The 2-nozzle set I found online, is a couple of hundred; and I guess the finish on your Sulzer, shows why.
Thank you!
Yes, it's a H&S and I'm afraid they're not cheap, although they have some cheaper models than this one - but this is one of their higher end models and comes with two sets of nozzles, needles and cups, so it's a bit more expensive for that reason. But the more precisely controllable an airbrush is, the better, and I like this one! It's quite easy to dismantle and reassemble for cleaning too......after a bit of initial consultation of the instructions!
On top of the 200 quid or so there's also a decent compressor unit that delivers a steady adjustable air pressure to buy as well! Mine was £80 o_O
However, putting it in perspective, all my airbrushing gear cost less than half of what a Farish N Gauge Sound Fitted class 40 went for on eBay last week! So I consider it a worthwhile investment for what is effectively my rest-of-life project!

DJ_K666

Latest acquisition for me is an Accurascale Siphon G in GWR brown to go with my Manor. I won a £100 Amazon voucher at work so I decided to get one. I'll probably get a second one as well as a Hawksworth full brake from Hornby and that's a worthwhile train right there. Then I can take my time obtaining Collett and Hawksworth coaches to make up a decent late era GWR express.