• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When do East Lancs or Keighley Worth Valley Railway run pacers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
They were regular around the 2008-11 time aswell at least, my daily commute used to feature a 3-car from Smithy Bridge to Mills Hill and another one on the return.

0840 and 1044 off Bury non stop to Ramsbottom, 0919 and 1143 return.
Thanks. Slightly disappointed it’s only going from Ramsbottom to Bury, and only for a couple of runs on Friday morning, but better than nothing I guess. They are running a lot of rolling stock Tomorrow though, so I guess they just had to squeeze the pacer into an available time slot. I remember last year at the dmu gala in Novembe, they only ran four DMUs (I think), so the pacer got much more running time. I’ll hopefully go to that event this year. Wish I went last year now.

I’ve had a look at the timetable on the website and I think I will catch the 11:05 class 37 from Rawtenstall to be in time for the pacer.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
Last edited:

Veteran Member
The 101 looks tremendous back in BR blue
Indeed it does. Reports say it was rammed yesterday.
The Railcar Convention made a difference - by contrast on Tuesday afternoon one trip was more like the Alston branch in 1975 (my only visit).

Attachments

• IMG_20231024_142805707.jpg
    IMG_20231024_142805707.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 64

InkyScrolls

Indeed it does. Reports say it was rammed yesterday.
The Railcar Convention made a difference - by contrast on Tuesday afternoon one trip was more like the Alston branch in 1975 (my only visit).
I was also there on Tuesday - are amazed that word didn't get round on SM that it was in traffic, given it was the first time since overhaul.

SteveM70

Established Member
I was out walking this morning and happened to get caught at the gates at Damems at about 10:10 as the first Keighley - Oxenhope of the morning went by. It was the W&M railcar and it was absolutely rammed, with standing passengers in the doorways in the middle

Veteran Member
I was also there on Tuesday - are amazed that word didn't get round on SM that it was in traffic, given it was the first time since overhaul.
If you were on the steam set, I (hope I) checked your ticket :)
I was out walking this morning and happened to get caught at the gates at Damems at about 10:10 as the first Keighley - Oxenhope of the morning went by. It was the W&M railcar and it was absolutely rammed, with standing passengers in the doorways in the middle
Hardly surprising - it's the only train they could have risked the railbus on.

12C

Would anyone happen to know if the East Lancs 144 is out to play this Saturday (4th Nov) please? I looked at the diesel group roster but it just says DMU. Cheers.

david l

Thanks, that was the news I was hoping for! ;)
Although booked for 105, please note that the 104 is in use today! If you're about Sunday, come and chat to the guard.:D:D

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Part of me thinks that calling 144's "pacers" does them a bit of a disservice !

I need to get to the East Lancs for their DMU's (including 144).

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
Part of me thinks that calling 144's "pacers" does them a bit of a disservice !

I need to get to the East Lancs for their DMU's (including 144).
I have only been on a 144 once when in service between Leeds and Keighley and this year in preservation from Keighley to Oxenhope and back again. It was always 142’s on my local line in Lancashire. While the interior is more modern than most of the 142’s, it still feels like a pacer, the engine, windows and doors are the same as the 142. But the 142 is my favourite pacer, maybe partly becuase it’s the type I travelled on most, and it’s the most well known and iconic pacer out of the 4 classes. In a way, it feels more “pacery” than the 143 and 144 also.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I have only been on a 144 once when in service between Leeds and Keighley and this year in preservation from Keighley to Oxenhope and back again. It was always 142’s on my local line in Lancashire. While the interior is more modern than most of the 142’s, it still feels like a pacer, the engine, windows and doors are the same as the 142. But the 142 is my favourite pacer, maybe partly becuase it’s the type I travelled on most, and it’s the most well known and iconic pacer out of the 4 classes. In a way, it feels more “pacery” than the 143 and 144 also.

The 3 carriage 144's were decent crowd busters.

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
The 3 carriage 144's were decent crowd busters.
I bet they were. They should have made more of the pacers 3 cars imo, it would have eased overcrowding on a lot of routes. The fact that they also didn’t have doors at the ends of the train wasn't ideal for connecting to other pacers/sprinters either.

xotGD

Established Member
I bet they were. They should have made more of the pacers 3 cars imo, it would have eased overcrowding on a lot of routes. The fact that they also didn’t have doors at the ends of the train wasn't ideal for connecting to other pacers/sprinters either.
A set of Mark 1s with a 37 on the front was effective at gobbling up crowds.

The introduction of Pacers and Sprinters just meant inadequate capacity on so many routes.

tram21

I got a Pacer when I went to the KVWR!!

It was a slow weekday afternoon (in August), but going on a low day is your best bet to getting on one!

Attachments

• 20230808_163021.jpg
    20230808_163021.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230808_163101.jpg
    20230808_163101.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 24

Howardh

Established Member
The class 144 pacer will be out on the East Lancs Railway for their Autumn Diesel Gala next weekend.
Ooh, great, but on Sunday the 1600 only gives you 8 mins at Rawtenstall to grab a beer, and being a pacer drinking on the train itself (without getting staurated) is a no-no!!

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
A set of Mark 1s with a 37 on the front was effective at gobbling up crowds.

The introduction of Pacers and Sprinters just meant inadequate capacity on so many routes.
its a good example of how the focus of the railways has changed from comfort and style to trying to cram in as many seats in a carriage as cheaply as possible. Though to be fair, they were brought in to replace aging 1st generation dmu’s.
I got a Pacer when I went to the KVWR!!

It was a slow weekday afternoon (in August), but going on a low day is your best bet to getting on one!
That’s the same time I went on one! I also went on a sunny, weekday afternoon in August (see my post on the first page). They recently had a DMU day on the last weekend in October where they ran the 144+143 coupled together, as well as a 101, a steam engine and a tiny railbus from the 1950’s. Unfortunately, that was probably the last time thier 143 ran as it is going to be used for spare parts (presumably so that if something on the 144 fails then they can use parts from the 143 as they are virtually the same). The class 143 also had that classic raspy pacer engine (see the video below).

Last edited:

david l

Ooh, great, but on Sunday the 1600 only gives you 8 mins at Rawtenstall to grab a beer, and being a pacer drinking on the train itself (without getting staurated) is a no-no!!
So get yourself a drink at the Trackside at Bury before 16.00, and make it last!

Status
Not open for further replies.